#1August 29th, 2005 · 11:40 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Anyone here ever built a guitar?
Has anyone here ever built a guitar?  I mean from scratch, not one of those kits that you assemble. I mean going out and buying the wood, cutting it all etc...

Personally I haven't, but I was looking around the workshop of a guy that does repairs and builds his own brand - fascinating.

I'd like to try sometime (an electric, but not in the near future) - I'd like to hear about anybodies experience doing this, opinions, references, or recommended reading.
#2August 29th, 2005 · 11:50 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
For those that are interested, this is a pretty informative link:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/Telehawk/telehawk_guitar_building.htm
#3August 29th, 2005 · 08:23 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
no but I wish I had that'd be fun

thanks for the link!
#4August 29th, 2005 · 11:47 PM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
buy a book by Melvin Miscox (i think thats how its spelt) called "make your own electric guitar".  its well written and very informative.
#5September 3rd, 2005 · 07:16 AM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
I started one quite a while ago. But then i just had too much other stuff that neede doing. So i gave up. I might try again some time, but probably not for a while
#6September 3rd, 2005 · 04:58 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
on second thought... I think i'd rather devote my time to practice and let the luthiers do their jobs
#7September 6th, 2005 · 07:34 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
im with entheon - i thought about making one for a while (which is why i bought the book) but then decided my time would be better spent on playing rather than building.
#8September 10th, 2005 · 02:32 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Yeh, it's a great idea in theory, but there are a million and one other things to be getting on with. Still, its interesting though. I don't have even half the tools that would be needed either. So JonnyC - what do you do with half a guitar?  
#9September 11th, 2005 · 06:46 AM
2 threads
33 posts
Norway
Anyone here know how the hell to pronounce that cymbal brand, Zildjian? (The only reason i'm bringing it up is because Daeljan's name sorta reminds me of it.) But, uh...no, i never built a guitar.
#10September 11th, 2005 · 09:44 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
I always pronounced it:

zil-G-ann

I never built a cymbal either...
#11September 12th, 2005 · 12:51 AM
8 threads / 4 songs
246 posts
United Kingdom
zil-j'n

zil (rhyming with the name bill)
j'n (say the female name "jan" quickly)
#12September 14th, 2005 · 10:43 PM
7 threads
104 posts
United Kingdom
Books...
Don't know if they are still available but 2 books I can recommend are:

The Electric Guitar - Its History & Construction by Donald Brosnac. Panjandrum Press. ISBN 0-915572-00-1

Classic Guitar Construction by Irving Sloane. Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-860001-232-8

Even if you don't follow this through, the information in these will enable you to keep your own guitars in top shape and spot faults when out buying guitars.
#13December 19th, 2005 · 06:52 AM
8 threads / 7 songs
113 posts
Bangladesh
Dude, I say if it interests you go for it! I have made one guitar from scratch and have one half made both electric and let me say it is the ultimate feeling of satisfaction stepping back admiring a guitar that you have made yourself. And what do you do with half a guitar you ask, have it sit there collecting dust making you feel guilty that you never finished it! (I'm hopeless for starting a project but not finishing)

Firstly, you must recognise that in preparing to make your first guitar it wont be a way to get a decent guitar cheaply, you will need to make sure that you have decent tools. Which will probably make your first fairly expensive. I would suggest the following for a successful electric guitar build.

1. Electric router with 1/2" shank. Probably the most useful powertool for this sort of work. To go with this I would recommend also buying a 2" straight cut bit, a 2" straight cut bit with bearing guide, 1/4" radius half round w/bearing guide (for tele style edges) or a 1/2" radius half round bit w/bearing guide for strat syle round edges.

2. Hand planes. Get one that is really long, so that you can get a really flat surface if you need to. You will need a honing stone to go with it to sharpen your blade.

3. Decent set of chisels.

4. Decent set of flat and round files + fret files if you are gonna be doing frets too.

5. Air compressor + spray equipment

6. Good set of drill bits, plus a couple of specialty forstner, brad point and auger bits for particular jobs where required.

7. Soldering Iron.

8. Various standard tools ie screwdrivers, spanners etc..

9. Various grades of sand paper etc.. (you will go through a LOT)

There is more stuff that you will probably need too, I couldn't possibly list it all here but this is what I think is the essential stuff. Bottom line is that you mustnt be afraid to buy the tools you need to get the job done.

You MUST check out this website. http://www.stewmac.com The best guitar shop supplier that I have found. Subscribe to their catalogue, its full of parts, books, and even hints and tips on how to do things.

There is so much stuff to say on this topic, couldn't possibly do it here. But if you have any questions in particular, let me know and hopefully I can help you out
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 6:18 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.