#1January 25th, 2008 · 05:10 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Gear Modifications
The more I get into the recording stuff, and am learning more about what is going on the more I realize that the consumer  line stuff is cheating us on sound quality just to save a few dollars.. Solution.... Modifications.

There is a lot of mods being done out there. I started checking around at some studios and talking to some techs. and found out that a lot of the same gear we use like audio interfaces, mics, preamps, compressors, in fact just about any gear you have could have a modification to it.. problem is some really make a huge difference in the quality of sound, and others may not (but you would of had to  pay the money anyway). 

If you want to improve the quality of your sound recordings you may not have to spend a whole lot of money to do it.. Just check to see if there is a decent mod for some of your gear.. I found out there  is a substantial modification for  my audio interface, and my compressor.  The mod to the interfaces from reviewers says it puts it into the quality range of the 3000.00 interfaces, mod is only 275.00..  (seems the manufacturers skimped on the quality of parts in the analog section).

The compressor mod is a little more significant but the reviewers claim it is worth the money. 

mic mods are some of the most common mods done. and I am still researching some of these.

If you know of a mod or have had one done to your gear to improve sound  please post it here so others might learn about it.

my future mods  are Motu audio interfaces 2408's and 896's.  upgrade the analog sections, and the preamp section in the 896's..
Alesis 3630 compressor .... major chip upgrade and power supply upgrade.
#2January 25th, 2008 · 10:24 PM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Make sure you know what you are doing; bad soldering, poor wiring, mismatched loads and you could kill everything.

If you've never done anything like this before, I would suggest you don't bother.
#3January 26th, 2008 · 09:49 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I am not doing the mods.. I am sending them out.. even though I do have the ability to do the soldering (went to school for electronics) , . I want the work under warrenty,  plus I don't know what the circuit changes would be.. These guys are pros and do mods all the time for recording  studios.

I did not just come upon this link I was told to go to this site by a studio owner, who had his pro tools interfaces redone to improve the sound, gave him more headroom and cleaner sound.  plus he said the mods to the akgc414 were amazing.(microphone).

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/motu_firewire_mod.html
#4January 26th, 2008 · 12:15 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Never new any of this, thanks for sharing Greg.

BTW, Marino has helped me with cubase for the first time, I enabled the sound card I purchased last year, Audiophile 2496, which clipped and popped with my current software, recorded onto cubase and the quality is now amazing.

There you go, it was my software all along.

Cheers

Denis
#5January 26th, 2008 · 01:42 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Re: Dennis software

I am glad to hear it . your recordings were very good before, looking forwards to hearing the new stuff.

what was the software?   usually when you get clicks and pops it is either. wrong bit rate or wrong sample time syncs.  It can be from clipping to if your really hammering the input signal into the soundcard/computer.

the newer software gives me warnings whenever I change the bit rate and or the sample rate. it will come up with a warning that tells me that the settings have changed for that project. which is good cause I used to have trouble with this before.
#6January 26th, 2008 · 10:40 PM
1 threads
5 posts
United States of America
There are numerous websites that modify guitar pedals. The biggest and most expensive is www.robertkeeley.com, but there is also www.analogman.com www.monteallums.com and several more. If you google "pedal mods" you'll come up with way more than I could list here.

I will note here that I had a Boss GE-7 with a Sniper mod on it from http://tonejamfx.com/mod_shop and it was hands down the best equalizer I have ever used. Kevin is a really nice guy, and does top notch work. He also posts at the GuitarGeek forums.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 9:13 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.