#1January 17th, 2008 · 11:01 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
About MIDI triggers, HELP!
Hi people!
Well, I wanted to know, in case any of you could know, if the MIDI triggers produce latency. Let me explain myself better:
I wanna buy a small keyboard-MIDI-trigger, you know, come octaves, pitch bend, etc, so I plug in into my PC and I can use it to "compose" via MIDI in Cubase. I just have a very crappy sound card and wanna get that trigger, but have a doubt: if I connect the trigger to my computer will I have latency talking about the time y press the key till the time comes out of my speaker? Does it depends on my sound card? Will I have to buy a new sound card in case I have latency?
Help me, please!

> Iszil
#2January 17th, 2008 · 11:24 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I use midi with cubase and don't have any latency problems.  The only thing IZ is that i don't use my soundcard I use a motu Fastlane USB to midi set up.  so the only thing I could say is try it out and see.  I use a cheap casio wk 1500 as my midi controller.  I run it thru port A and my drum machines thru port B.  So far it works great.
#3January 18th, 2008 · 12:48 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Well, Greg, you have an external audio interface, but I wonder how a trigger would work with just a crappy sound card...
Thanks anyway.

> Iszil
#4November 8th, 2008 · 12:23 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Iz You probably have this all figured out by now I'm sure.  But to anyone else that might read this. A usb midi interface does not have to have a soundcard.. it enters the computer thru the usb ports. It is stand alone I have several interfaces I use . 2 firewire, 1 usb ,  My midi is separate from those, I can use it and not even have them on.  I should have explained this more in the first post.  If you get a decent midi interface you won't have latency issues especially if you use some kind of quantization.
#5November 8th, 2008 · 12:44 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Actually, I used a MIDI controller a cousin lent to me, and with my PC sound card worked greatly! No latency.
But, anyway, thanks Greg.

> Iszil
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 2:29 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.