#1August 14th, 2007 · 07:07 PM
1 threads
United States of America
Best Wax For Guitar/Bass
I'm trying to put wax/ Clear coat   on my bass to cover an awesome design so it won't wear off and  I don't have a clue of what would be best...The Thicker the better...Thx to ne 1 who can help
#2August 14th, 2007 · 10:08 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
The thicker the better?
To my knowledge (admittedly not complete) that's not always true.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an issue about restricted vibrations with too much/some kinds of finishes/wax/other surfacing products?
#3August 15th, 2007 · 12:09 AM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
hmm did you put the design on over existing paint/clear coat?  Wax probably won't protect it very well... and using regular furniture wax is not good for some guitars.. plus some waxes can yellow and cause cracking of some clears (mostly lacquers).

I would look more into sealing it with a clear coat of urathane or some other clear cover..if you put the design  over existing paint and clear coat, you will have to be careful cause sometime putting certain clears or sealers over existing clear/sealer coats may cause the original to buble or lift (I have heard of this but have know actual experiance or first hand knowledge).

If it was me, I would take it to someone who repairs guitars, and just show it to them , ask them what they think. They are used to messing with matching paints and recovering stains/clear coats back to match original..
#4August 28th, 2007 · 03:47 PM
6 threads / 3 songs
27 posts
United States of America
i agree with oldies..thicker is not better. it will alter the tone and sustian of your instrument.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 8:49 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.