#1December 22nd, 2007 · 10:13 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Headphones
I just got a new pair of headphones for early Christmas present (she spent a bit of money i think) they are the BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO (everything says pro anymore lol).  I gotta say I spent most of the day with these wrapped around my ears and .... I am highly impressed.. I have the AKG studio headphones and a set of  Roland RH 50, plus  the band studio used  Sony of some kind.  I have mixed with all of them but these headphones really bring out the separation and clarity of sound.  I didn't think headphones could make that big of difference but I was wrong.  

I still do most of my final  mixing with the NFM (near field monitors EDIT : JBL 4208's) and the loudspeakers I have.. but  I do like to listen, and shape the sounds of what I am recording with the headphones, and these did a fantastic job. 

Looks like I am plugging them, but I am not, I was just impressed with them. 

So what headphones do you use, and do you use them to mix with.?  just curious is why I am asking.
#2December 23rd, 2007 · 08:32 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I do the same as you, Initally use the headphones, then use my logitech desktop speakers which has a Sub http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/185530/?camp_id=ppc_google_christmas_products_logitech_z3_speakers, to do the final mixdown. they work just as well as proper studio moniter speakers. My headphones dont have the same dynamic spectrum, they are crap.

I'm looking to get a good quality closed ear job'ys for when I record my acoustic guitar or indeed recording from a mic.

I've got a realitively cheap pair of headphones, which are semi closed, and get quite a lot of spill from the drums that I use instead of a metronome. I've tried using the metronone and the spill is even worce. I've tried to tape up the outside cover of the phones and even put some old rags on the inside. lol

These are the headphones I was thinking of purchasing:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/5021/

Anybody got any other suggestions on a good quality set with minimum spillage?

Cheers

Denis
#3December 23rd, 2007 · 12:33 PM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
DT770
join the club Toastedgoat 

I own 2 DT770's for some years now, still happy with them. indeed i use nearfields (Yamaha MSP5 ) for mixing mainly, but as you said, one can do a lot, and with pleasure, on these earphones

they even are great for drumming too, i used to wear them, aswell as my drummer when recording, or even rehearsing with metronome, so they give good volume too, and not too much spill

what surprised me most of all is the rich bass sound they give, you have to be carefull for your ears though
#4December 24th, 2007 · 11:14 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
The more I use these the more I like em.. the clarity on the low end is excellent., plus  comfort and quality now I am curious about the real expensive headphones...Do they sound that much better again ? hmmm
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 11:39 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.