#1August 5th, 2005 · 06:35 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Drums Suggestions
There doesn't seem to be a large number of them here, but I figure I'll ask a question.

Right now, I'm playing a vintage 4 piece Rogers acoustic set (the snare isn't a Rogers).  Somewhere between 25 and 35 years old.  Durable as ever.  Doesn't have lugs for bottom heads on the toms, even, and they just thunder.

I started playing about 3.5 years ago, and I'm loaning this kit from the drummer in my dad's band, who obviously has a much bigger and better one (A Pearl Session Series).  I have expanded on this kit myself, got new heads, cymbals, stands, a double bass pedal, throne, etc. as I get the cash to pay for them.

I've gone out and got myself a job and have saved up around 2500 bucks so far, and I'm looking at investing this into a new drum set so I can finally have some shells to call my own.

I'm currently jamming with a band, and we play rock and blues type material.  SRV, Hendrix, Rush, Aerosmith, The Beatles, etc.  Plus some even older stuff like Steppenwolf and the Surfaris.  Can anyone give me some advice as to what type of drums would be worth looking into that can cover these styles?

I've made a couple trips to a few different drum shops, but in general, it's hard to get a feel for how the drums can and will sound and play, since the stock heads on them are usually crap, or out of tune, the kit is not set up well, lacks decent hardware, etc.  Most places frown upon letting a 16 year old mess with their drum sets, and won't let me grab random stuff from around the store to set up a kit.

Any advice appreciated.
#2August 6th, 2005 · 01:24 AM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
My advice would be to get a Yamaha kit.
For cymbals, maybe get two crashes, a splash and a ride. You're gonna want one of the crashes to be a paiste 502, same with the splash. The other crash, a Sabian AAX 15in Dark Crash. For the ride, get a Zildjian A 21in Sweet ride. I would recommend buying Sabian HH 13in EQ hats.
Get an Iron Cobra(single/double) for the pedal.
You should probably get Remo emperor coated heads.
Hope this helps...
#3August 7th, 2005 · 08:21 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
15 posts
United States of America
Cool, thanks.  Any particular Yamaha kit you'd recommend?
#4August 7th, 2005 · 12:17 PM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
The best kit for that kind of music would probably be the Maple custom. For the snare, get an SD2340 steel snare. Should give you the right tone for th type of music you play
#5August 14th, 2005 · 07:53 PM
3 threads / 2 songs
27 posts
United States of America
I'd say go for a Pearl kit like an ELX or EXR or a Gretsch Catalina Birch. Then pick up some Remo pinstripes, or(I highly recommend) Evans G2's and an EMAD kick head. As far as cymbals go, I find that Zildjian is the best for your dollar, but Sabians and Paistes are fucking great cymbals, too. If I went Zildjian, I get 14" New Beat high hats, a K custom 20" dry ride, some 17" and 18" medium crashes, and probably an 8" splash and an 18" china.
#6September 29th, 2007 · 02:57 PM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
Ahem.... wht should one buy if one has less than 500$?
#7September 30th, 2007 · 10:19 AM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
Drums
Songwriter are you playing out with this kit?  are you recording with the kit?
if you look around you can find a real good acoustic kit for under 500,  I found a yamaha dt express electronic kit for real cheap .. That is what i am going to use for recording. but I know several drummers who have used this same kit for live application .   If buying ac drums  look to make sure the hardware is in good condition and that the shells aren't warped or cracked.. make sure all the lugs turn in a decent fashion,  other than that  pearl , yamaha, ludwig, DW, gretsch, tama, all make decent drums so if you stick with one of these it should be ok.

If gigging a lot I happen to think that the tama hardware tends to hold up very well.. same with the DW .
#8October 1st, 2007 · 02:01 PM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
I just plan to play at home, maybe recording, no gigs or anything... thnks
#9October 1st, 2007 · 11:45 PM
46 threads / 33 songs
179 posts
United States of America
How is the Yamaha DTXplorer electronic drum set? Also from what site should one buy? Thnks again.
#10October 2nd, 2007 · 09:47 AM
17 threads / 3 songs
185 posts
United States of America
I like it
it's not as good as the roland v drums, but is is not nearly as expensive either.    ebay has em for sale .. I know a drummer that has one for sale now , cause he bought  the roland v drums...  the yamah dt express has a couple of acoustic kits in it that sound pretty good..   mIne came with the cage and all the  trigger pads and plus kick pedal

here is a link to one on sale now at ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-DTX-Express-Electronic-Drums_W0QQitemZ260166652920QQihZ016QQcategoryZ64444QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 1:41 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.