#1February 24th, 2007 · 05:33 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Acoustic guitar strings
As a matter of interest, I have a classical guitar with nylon strings. I know that your common acoustic guitars have the chunk out of it, and use steel strings. Does steel strings have the same effect on a traditional classical nylon stringed guitar?
Also, the tied ends, does that matter too?

Just interested in what it would sound like, me playing my classical with steel strings  .

WB
#2March 1st, 2007 · 07:43 AM
1 posts
South Africa
Hey WritersBlock

putting steel strings a on a classical guit will destroy the guitar i'm afraid to say, ok not destroy {i like being hyperbolic :P } but definately damage the guitar.

remember that acoustics are very fargile beings. especially the classical variety, putting on steel strings will put the neck out of whack as classical guitars don't have truss rods to counter the strain put on the neck. also the strings will absolutely chow the bridge section of the guitar. all ont a good idea

and we haven't even started to discuss intonation issues thatwill arise casue of the strings.

but i have also wondered as to what it would sound like
#3March 2nd, 2007 · 02:15 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Ok, thanks for that 
'Tis a shame, I will never know the joy of steel strings unless I buy a new guitar... and specifically, a left handed acoustic... it's all well when you can buy a right hander and change the strings, ah well, I'll just have to make do with my classical (not that it doesn't sound fantastic).

Cheers

WB
#4April 16th, 2007 · 01:24 PM
2 posts
United States of America
nylon strings
the only acoustic i have is a lucida classical.
if your looking for good strings i play augustine blues.
all augustine nylon strings are good
#5May 25th, 2007 · 09:30 PM
31 threads / 1 songs
434 posts
United States of America
steel strings
I like Martin SP+ Phosphor Bronze 0.13s (the blue pack), regular Bronze is fine too, Phos Bronze is a little brighter sounding, depends on what you like. Elixers are kind of nice but they're expensive and the coating eventually wears off leaving them not as nice as they were.
#6June 7th, 2007 · 11:48 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
16 posts
United States of America
nylon strings
As far as nylons go, D'Addarios are the only way to go! I haven't played any other kind, but according to my guitar teacher (who's played them all), they sound better than the other kinds and have the best quality control (which is a huge problem with nylons).

Has anybody tried the composite g-string (yeah, I said g-string. what of it?) that D'Addario started selling? I gave it a go, and it sounded better, but there were some tuning issues...
I'm anxious to see what other people think of it!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 5:48 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.