#1May 28th, 2017 · 06:22 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Favorite Microphone under $500.00 ?
post up your favorite mic that is under $500.00 cost.
I still have a fondness for the Audio Technica AT4047( cost more than $500.00 new, I've found several used for under $500.00)  but,  the Rhode NT1A is still a smoother top end mic that really works well.  I have a cheap Chinese Avlex mic that sounds pretty good, I paid $100.00 for.
For Dynamic mics I have to go with the Shure SM7B.  It's just a great mic for vox  on a budget, although Michael Jackson used it on his albums.
#2May 29th, 2017 · 02:03 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I've not had many mics, but after research based on my budget I've got Rhode NT1A I use just for vocals, A matched pair of Rhode NT5's pencil mics (perfect for recording acoustic guitar), and a Sure SM57 (use this for percussion) - apparently they are the same as SM58s, but do not have a pop like shield built in.
They all great quality IMO, great value for money.  Was lucky I got the Rhodes on eBay used in mint condition at a great price. There is no point in buying new, as mics will last a life time if your look after them.

When I researched mics, the pros said they all have character of their own. For home use I think anything mid range will do the job, the expensive ones are similar just more durable for everyday use. Your preamp is just as important and I'd say it is a similar story.  Technology today is amazing.

One thing I've learned is that you don't need to have expensive pro gear to get good results, it's all about how good you are as a musician and the effort you put in to making it sounding good.
#3May 29th, 2017 · 07:16 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
[quote=Denis]I've not had many mics, but after research based on my budget I've got Rhode NT1A I use just for vocals, A matched pair of Rhode NT5's pencil mics (perfect for recording acoustic guitar), and a Sure SM57 (use this for percussion) - apparently they are the same as SM58s, but do not have a pop like shield built in.
They all great quality IMO, great value for money.  Was lucky I got the Rhodes on eBay used in mint condition at a great price. There is no point in buying new, as mics will last a life time if your look after them.

When I researched mics, the pros said they all have character of their own. For home use I think anything mid range will do the job, the expensive ones are similar just more durable for everyday use. Your preamp is just as important and I'd say it is a similar story.  Technology today is amazing.

One thing I've learned is that you don't need to have expensive pro gear to get good results, it's all about how good you are as a musician and the effort you put in to making it sound as good as you can. Are your NT1A's modded in anyway? .. I saw on ebay one that had the U87 capsule mod, and upgraded  parts. for around $100.00 US.  I thought I might pick it up to see how it compares.
#4May 30th, 2017 · 10:17 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
[quote=toastedgoat]
Denis wrote…
I've not had many mics, but after research based on my budget I've got Rhode NT1A I use just for vocals, A matched pair of Rhode NT5's pencil mics (perfect for recording acoustic guitar), and a Sure SM57 (use this for percussion) - apparently they are the same as SM58s, but do not have a pop like shield built in.

One thing I've learned is that you don't need to have expensive pro gear to get good results, it's all about how good you are as a musician and the effort you put in to making it sound as good as you can. Are your NT1A's modded in anyway? .. I saw on ebay one that had the U87 capsule mod, and upgraded  parts. for around $100.00 US.  I thought I might pick it up to see how it compares.
No mods on mine, I'd spend the $100.00 on something else you may need. I assume you have a standard one already?
#5November 19th, 2017 · 02:56 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
after trying to record vocals with the NT1A I sent it back.. I got the NT1 2014 eq adjusted version.. it's a much smoother mic.  Not as harsh on the top end.  Great mic for the money.. another mic that I'm trying out and so far had surprised me at how good it is for the price point is the SE2200.
#6November 23rd, 2017 · 02:28 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I  did a full mod on my cheap Chinese Avlex AVS79.  removed all the PCB and replaced them with a Kludge Audio PCB, although I had my electronics guy go through the parts list. he procured all my parts for me, upgrading the parts to bring the quality up a bit.. I put a K47 capsule in it to bring about the biggest, and best change to the mic.   Wow.. It really is a decent mic now.. It now longer has to sit around not being used.  Works great on my vocals.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 9:19 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.