#1February 22nd, 2013 · 10:03 PM
22 threads / 7 songs
164 posts
Canada
Gear talk update Denis!
Well i dragged out my old mic.....it's an Apex 410 condenser mic...not sold anymore and I would have a hard time hooking it up with my ipad I think.

Might be best if I just went out and got an updated mic?

I bought a rig to plug in my Taylor directly to the ipad.......and have been tinkering around with it.  Getting familiar with all the settings is half the battle.....but when it's fun.......it's not a battle at all.

Kings sent me a link many moons ago about condenser vs. dynamic mics that was very enlightening.

Which do you prefer for vocal recording?  I'm swaying towards dynamic.....but....having little experience with either format, I want to pick everyone's brains.

In music solidarity,

Mb
#2February 23rd, 2013 · 05:23 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
You will need an audio interface to connect to your iPad, there is only one input for this devise, I prefer two so that you can record in stereo - There are bound to be other alternatives, it's worth doing a google search yourself.

What did you buy for your Taylor, perhaps that can be adapted for a condenser - you will need phantom power?

Condenser mics are more sensitive to frequencies, they are generally best for recording - the one you have will be good for your acoustic too, but in an ideal world pencil condenser mics (stereo pair is best for a life like sound, but you can still use one mic, many people do) are better for acoustic guitar. Dynamic mics are great for live work mainly because you don't get as much feedback, also they are solid/reliable and can take a bashing compared to a condenser.

I assume you have a PC/laptop - If you are serious about recording you could purchase an audio interface, monitors, more mics and a DAW (digital audio workstation), if you have a mac it will have garage band (DAW) built into it, which I think many iPads have also.  If you want to go that route let me know and I'll explain my set-up. Others can tell you their set-up, that will give you enough information in which route you want to take.
#3February 23rd, 2013 · 06:01 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Some alternatives - The Alesis dock interface looks well cool -

#4February 23rd, 2013 · 06:04 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
#5February 24th, 2013 · 06:07 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
#6February 25th, 2013 · 03:10 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Focusrite
Another quality product, but only one input - I'm sure there will be others with more inputs. You could probably get the Apogee Duet on aBay for a decent price
http://us.focusrite.com/ipad-audio-interfaces-usb-audio-incterfaces/itrack-solo
**EDIT**
Would you Adam & Eve it, Focurite do have another model with more inputs and outputs
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/forte
#7February 25th, 2013 · 03:54 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Audiolink III
This looks great value for money
http://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_audiolink_iii.htm
http://youtu.be/6wripeKFfyA
**Edit**
Only good with dynamic mics, hence if you use a condenser mic with phantom power it may draw too much power from the iPad, hence this unit does not have a separate power supply.
#8February 25th, 2013 · 05:06 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Tascam mic
This is a cheap alternative: might get this for my iPhone -
http://tascam.com/product/im2/
**EDIT**

#9February 25th, 2013 · 09:25 AM
22 threads / 7 songs
164 posts
Canada
Hey Denis!

Wow.....thanks for all the info!  I am drooling over the audiolink ll......it looks perfect for what I want to accomplish.

I have a line6 mobilein......but I find I have to tinker and fuss with it in garage ban....just to even hear myself.  The volumn levels are very low, but I think I have to spend more time exploring the software.....getting familiar with all the functions.

Ok.....forget what i said about the audiolink......I MUST HAVE THE TASCAM IO 2.  Lol. Wow......what alot of bang for your buck....and easy enough for a gear virgin like myself to figure out.

Thank you Sir Denis the audio Ninja!

Mb
#10February 25th, 2013 · 09:29 AM
22 threads / 7 songs
164 posts
Canada
IM2.....

Got so excited couldn't even type lol
#11February 25th, 2013 · 05:42 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
marthamaymoo wrote…
IM2.....

Got so excited couldn't even type lol
Check eBay there are some great deals in the USA - not sure on the shipping for Canada, hopefully you can find the product sold locally for a good price.
Let us know how you get on.
Apple products are amazing don't you think. The tascam IM2 will give you stereo recording on your acoustic guitars, peronally I prefer it, especially if you record just guitar and vocals. I'm pretty sure you will be able to record in mono for vocals too, that will give you  nice separation - stereo for guitar and mono for vox.
It's good to take out with you to, if you want to capture say seabirds by the sea, wildlife, sounds of the city, or just about anything out in the big wild world - that's where you can get real creative and most of all have fun.
You can even buy a windshield for it to stop wind noises, or you can make your own, I've seen YouTube vids on how to make them, but I think you can buy them for around $15
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 12:08 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.