#1December 17th, 2006 · 01:25 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
Mixer/Soundcard
I'm gonna buy a mixer-thing for my PC, so that my recordings get better...
Do you guys have any suggestions?
What to buy, and what not to buy etc...?
#2December 17th, 2006 · 04:39 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Behringer. That's the best choice out there. Its cheap but still good quality. Go for one of the little ones, you won't need more than that.
#3December 17th, 2006 · 04:56 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
thanx, oldies! 
#4December 17th, 2006 · 09:46 PM
13 threads / 7 songs
167 posts
Ireland
Tascam
http://www.tascam.com/Products/US-122.html

This one here is pretty good, easy to install and use, comes with a lite version of Cubase and gets a very clean and professional sound out of your instruments.  Goes for around 150€, prolly cheaper second-hand but without Cubase LE.  The recordings that I did on a friends were very warm and clear - and he's a professional and swears by the thing for home recording. 

Hope that helps.
#5December 18th, 2006 · 02:00 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
There's a lot
There's a lot of options!

all these are USB devices, naming the most interesting options (IMO):
Behringer UCA 202 - 35€ - has stereo I/O and s/p-dif,
Alesis IO 2 - 150€ - has 2 powered mic inputs, 2 balanced line inputs, MIDI I/O,
Emu 0404 USB - 200€ - 2 mic/line/hi-Z preamps with inbuilt limiter, 2 balanced outputs, direct monitoring, s/p-dif, and MIDI I/O

Phonic Helixboard 12 USB - 220€ - is a complete mixer, 4 mono channels, 2 stereo channels, all seperately sent to the computer via USB, receiving the stereo mix back

Yamaha MW 10 - 250€ - 10 channel mixer (4 mono, 2 stereo, 1 submix stereo line in), much alike the Phonic, except this is Yamaha so is supposed to be a safer bet to get.

These are, IMO, all good options (including what Punchbear said about the Tascam US-112, it's 160€ here)

My personal preference would go to a mixer - but there are Line6 toneports aswell which go around 150€ and come with software to use your guitar directly into your computer... The mixers have no MIDI though, which you might find interesting, so the choice is yours...
#6December 18th, 2006 · 10:02 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
thanx a lot, guys! 
#7January 10th, 2007 · 04:16 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
Is M-Audio USB soundcards any good?
#8January 11th, 2007 · 01:58 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Kine wrote…
Is M-Audio USB soundcards any good?

yes... if you are looking at the Audiophile USB (155 euros here), but it's more basic than the ones I mentioned before, in that it's inputs aren't balanced and it has no phantom power. This means the inputs may be prone to interference, which will cause noise which you might not be able to get rid of. The Emu 0202 USB (129 euros here) seems a better alternative, given the specs.
But the Audiophile does have MIDI... still if you're going for M-Audio I suggest to go for the

Fast Track Pro (219 euros here) - with the difference that it has balanced inputs and inbuilt pre-amps... and has MIDI too. I've heard both good and bad things about M-Audio but I guess that counts for every other brand aswell. The earlier suggestions I posted were arbitrary in that that too me they seemed the better option in comparison to similar products by different brands. But let's face it I only know a few of them from mostly hearsay and some brief personal use, you'd have to trust my judgement-by-experienced-intuition on it!

Looking for a nice budget solution for your guitaring you might consider the M-Audio JamLab, it comes with guitar effects software and loops... And it's relatively inexpensive (69 euros here), however I don't know how it will handle mic input, and it surely has no MIDI. You are probably going to want to play around with MIDI eventually, if you have a keyboard...

Happy birthday to you btw
#9January 11th, 2007 · 03:55 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
What about Line6? I saw some line6 USB soundcards at my local musicstore...
I know that Line6 have pretty good amps.
It's a Line6 Toneport UX1. (or UX2)

And then there is something called  Digidesign. And Native Instruments.

Can you tell me what is best?
#10January 11th, 2007 · 04:40 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
The line6 toneports look nice but have no MIDI. They are not particularly better than other brands, and you are probably paying more for the brand name than for actual hardware quality.

The Native instruments Audio Kontrol 1 comes with much cooler software, and may be a good choice indeed. It has MIDI. And again you are not going to regret opting for an audio interface with MIDI in there, trust me! Similar to the other brands in it's class (balanced inputs, preamps) but with cool software: for 259 euros, could be very good deal.

DigiDesign is pretty expensive, but it's the leading brand when it comes to audio/computer interfaces. However their least expensive option, the new M-Box 2 Mini only has 2 analog in/outs, no MIDI, and costs 319 euros here...
That seems like a rip-off in comparison to most other brands.

The M-Box 2 costs 449 euros and only has cool software as a pre over other options... The rest of the specifications are similar to other brands' products at half that price. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Also I've seen there's the new Phonic Helixboard 17 with 5 inputs w/ phantom power and 3 additional stereo inputs, each with their own equalizer, and all seperately entering the cpu via USB. For 299 euros it's something to consider: very nice if you decide to go multitracking... If you ever plan on recording with a few friends, playing simultaneously, but each track recorded seperately into the computer, this is definately the thing to go for (though again it has no MIDI).

I guess now you know about all of the options out there... Can you make a choice yet?
#11January 11th, 2007 · 07:32 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
line 6 tone port
I'm interested in the UX2 does anyone on band amp have tried it or using it?
#12January 11th, 2007 · 08:59 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
I think I want the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1... It's a little expencive though... 
#13January 11th, 2007 · 06:20 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I researched and for the money I liked em
#14January 12th, 2007 · 04:07 PM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
I have already ordered the Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 
#15January 19th, 2007 · 03:00 AM
77 threads / 31 songs
353 posts
Norway
What's a "recording room"? It's not a room, it's a thing...
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 6:42 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.