#1November 23rd, 2006 · 12:53 AM
6 threads
138 posts
India
yes i remember those old days when i use to break strings tuning em.......cursing em........spitting around. i don't know if you are inserting the string onto the guitar in a wrong way or not.......seems like a very basic guitar, so i guess you must have figured it out, if not consult some one. i think the problem is in the tuning,. i use the "D'addario XL electric guitar strings nickle wound super light gauge" myself. they are very good except that the first string is pretty light but that shouldn't cause any problem. you must have tuned the string way over the normal 440Hz(if i am right) bringing it into a second octave or some thing. the .009 strings should hit lower e pitch way before it gets very tensed. thus while tuning if you feel its getting too tensed go lower and try coming back again. new strings do tend to break the first time you tune them. so press them down once in a while when you tune and do it with patience.

there was an article on using the right guitar strings in "GEAR TALK". couldn't find the post but i had saved it (wonder who wrote it)
here it is:
Basically, there is no actual best string for this type of music...It is dependant on the guitar you are using,  although, you get better tone for metal not from a set, but by buying individual strings, you will need for strings 1, 2, 3 should be .010 .012 .014   then strings 4, 5, 6 should be .032 .042 and .052..  This will allow you to get the great bassy tones to the power chords.. and still allow you to do some hot bending action on the leads...

For blues/jazz you should go a bit more light on the low end, say to .030 .040 .050.. this will allow to get a bit more mellow sound, and even be able to bend the d string...

but anyway, this is still just a suggestion.. you should always use what you are comfortable with... or what you have...  I am running on my electrics right now, on the strat I have .008/.011/.014/.022/.030/.038.. that is extremely light gauge.. but I love to bend.. I am a bend-a-holic.... so on the telecaster I have .010/.014/.020/.028/.038/.048.. THat gives me more of a nice smooth western feel... warm and soft...  and then, on the lespaul I am running .011/.014/.018/.028/.038/.049.. Much more jazzy..  very interesting tone..
My 60's Guyatone is running .012/.016/.24/.032/.042/.052..  This is interesting because it sounds so much different on here, than on the strat(I tried them on there)..  THis has a more woody tone to it, and is great for blues.... just really opens up to it....  on the strat is was much different.. so, really string gauges are dependant on the guitar...
Different guitars have different tonal qualities... and not every tele or strat is alike....so it is best to experiment and find the string gauge that when you play and hear it, you say yeah, that's it...
#2November 23rd, 2006 · 03:25 AM
6 threads
138 posts
India
maybe you should get someone to show you..........
#3November 23rd, 2006 · 05:52 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
music stores
If it's a reputable music store you should never feel bad about asking questions about things. They are used to dealing with all levels. Brand new beginners to old guys like me.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

It's hard to tell you why your strings broke. It may be tuned up to high, or a bur on the bridge saddle, or a bur on the nut. When I first started I used to break lots of strings and usually it was because I did not have the guitar tuned to the proper pitch wich caused to much tension on the strings.  I also used to get the string wound back under itself on  the tuner post because of not keeping tension on the string while tightining up the "tuner" keys. Run the string end through the bridge and then insert the end through the tuner peg/post. Take your right hand and place it edge down under the string to create space (like your going to karate shop the neck) do this at the 12 fret. Then take your left hand and start turning the tuner keys to tighten them up (I'd try to tell you wich way to turn them but i'm not sure on that guitar. When the string bends at the tuner peg/post. keep tightning till it starts to get tight on the edge of your right hand, as you tighten the sting roll your right hand till it's flat keeping tension on the string.. remove your right hand form under the string Then you need to hold tension on the string with your right hand till you get enough tension on it that its starts to get tight enough to produce some sound.
It's hard to explain the way I do this without pics. A very experianced guitar tech and builder showed me this at his store(that's why I say go to a music store (not guitar center though)). I use a speed winder or a cordless drill with a speed winder piece i have for it.. The reason of the right hand under the sting will give you the right length so you don't have too much or to little wrapped aroung the post.

ther are alot of other ways to do this you should check with Jimk I think he used to work on alot of guitars or lutheir either one they might have a better method
#4November 23rd, 2006 · 11:23 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re: help on changing strings please
Boris4 wrote…
(i have a ibanez gax70) its a pretty basic guitar so i pull the string through the top tuner type thing (im so bad i dont even know the name for the hardware ) then i start to tune it higher the string was pretty tense but far from the E pitch i needed it. I tuned it a little more and it broke. whipped my fingers agian (danmit to hell!) now im out of spare strings! now to save me from embarresment of goign to the store and asking how to string a guitar could you guys help me? thanks in advanced oh yeah im using D'addario XL electric guitar strings nickle wound super light gauge. thanks in advance and sorry for crap spelling!

Ok...   I think I already see one problem....  YOu are pulling the string through the tuning peg, and then tightening it, I'll bet your puulling it slightly, to keep it from slipping as you turn the tuner aren't ya?  yeah... I did that my first time too.. haha..   You should wrap the string three times around the tuning peg before placing the string through the hole, or you can pull it taught and cut it approx 2 inches from the tuning peg, then crimp a bend into the end of the string, approx 1/8 inch from the end..  pull the string back lightly until the bend catches at the tuner, and hold just enough pressure on the string to keep it taught..  Turn the peg, allowing the string to bring your hand closer to the guitar body, until you have a couple wraps around the peg.. then remove your hand, and bring it up to pitch...  Problem solved...  String is tuned and the excess is removed, no poking fingers, no eyes getting hit by whipping ends of strings..  

JimK
#5November 23rd, 2006 · 11:31 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
nobster wrote…
there was an article on using the right guitar strings in "GEAR TALK". couldn't find the post but i had saved it (wonder who wrote it)
here it is:
Basically, there is no actual best string for this type of music...It is dependant on the guitar you are using,  although, you get better tone for metal not from a set, but by buying individual strings, you will need for strings 1, 2, 3 should be .010 .012 .014   then strings 4, 5, 6 should be .032 .042 and .052..  This will allow you to get the great bassy tones to the power chords.. and still allow you to do some hot bending action on the leads...

For blues/jazz you should go a bit more light on the low end, say to .030 .040 .050.. this will allow to get a bit more mellow sound, and even be able to bend the d string...

but anyway, this is still just a suggestion.. you should always use what you are comfortable with... or what you have...  I am running on my electrics right now, on the strat I have .008/.011/.014/.022/.030/.038.. that is extremely light gauge.. but I love to bend.. I am a bend-a-holic.... so on the telecaster I have .010/.014/.020/.028/.038/.048.. THat gives me more of a nice smooth western feel... warm and soft...  and then, on the lespaul I am running .011/.014/.018/.028/.038/.049.. Much more jazzy..  very interesting tone..
My 60's Guyatone is running .012/.016/.24/.032/.042/.052..  This is interesting because it sounds so much different on here, than on the strat(I tried them on there)..  THis has a more woody tone to it, and is great for blues.... just really opens up to it....  on the strat is was much different.. so, really string gauges are dependant on the guitar...
Different guitars have different tonal qualities... and not every tele or strat is alike....so it is best to experiment and find the string gauge that when you play and hear it, you say yeah, that's it...

Yeah, that was me! 

Here is a link to the actual thread..  http://forum.bandamp.com/The_Pit/30325.html  

Hope all this helps!! 
                           JimK

Server Time: May 6th, 2024 · 6:15 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.