#1March 30th, 2012 · 01:22 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Ibanez SR500
I've got a bug, I cant stop buying gear - Here's my latest a beautiful Ibanez SR500 Lefty - U.L.I has been a great help purchasing this Bass, I was going to get a Fender Squier Jazz Bass, and was encouraged to try it out, which I did to my disappointment. 

When picked up this baby (Ibanez SR500), it was though she'd been with me since birth, so easy to play.  The Bartolini pick ups are normally only found on top spec basses. Well the proof is in the pudding and I will be testing it out properly to see how versatile it is supposed to be -  I suspect it will take a little time before I can get the best out of it.

Overall the bass is nice and light, feels and looks good quality and easy to play, so when I get to be an old aged pensioner I'll still be able to lay down some bass lines...lol

Purchased this one from Gumtree - �230.00 - Very good condition (some minor scratches and paint wear on the bridge plate)

SPECS
Neck Material:      5pc Jatoba/ Bubinga
Neck Type:      SR4
Body:      Mahogany body
Frets:      Medium frets
Fingerboard:      Rosewood
Inlay:      Abalone oval inlay
Bridge:      Accu-cast B300 bridge
NeckPU:      Bartolini� MK1-4-F
BridgePU:      Bartolini� MK1-4-R
EQ:      EQB-IIIS

#2March 31st, 2012 · 02:39 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
I´m sure you´ll lay down some bass lines before you´re a shivery pensioner.

Yip, that´s the way how buying an instrument should work : you grab it, play a few notes and it should feel like
"coming home". One must hear the instrument shouting : "Buy me ! Buy me!"   Then it you know it´s YOUR instrument.

Well done, matey. Here´s a lil presentation.

#3March 31st, 2012 · 09:30 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ULI wrote…
:D I�m sure you�ll lay down some bass lines before you�re a shivery pensioner.

Yip, that�s the way how buying an instrument should work : you grab it, play a few notes and it should feel like
"coming home". One must hear the instrument shouting : "Buy me ! Buy me!"   Then it you know it�s YOUR instrument.

Well done, matey. Here�s a lil presentation.

Cheers U.L.I
I checked out those YouTube links for defretting a Bass, it's really facinating watching a skilled Luthier working on one. If I had the tools, I'd probably have a go myself, I still may have a go depending on the quote I get from my Luthier, hence there is a lot of work invloved, can't see it being a cheap conversion.
#4March 31st, 2012 · 11:11 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis your an animal .... Bet you'd see this vid before you bought!
Again you and your beauties .....

With your recording abilities, the clarity you can get, your going to knock some socks off with this beautiful instrument.
#5March 31st, 2012 · 11:16 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis wrote…
ULI wrote…

Yip, that�s the way how buying an instrument should work : you grab it, play a few notes and it should feel like
"coming home". One must hear the instrument shouting : "Buy me ! Buy me!"   Then it you know it�s YOUR instrument.

Cheers U.L.I
I checked out those YouTube links for defretting a Bass, it's really facinating watching a skilled Luthier working on one. If I had the tools, I'd probably have a go myself, I still may have a go depending on the quote I get from my Luthier, hence there is a lot of work invloved, can't see it being a cheap conversion.

Conversions are not cheep ... I'm in the middle of converting my LR 110 .... as in putting a new engine and gearbox in ... from a different LR ... there is a lot of work involved ..... but the result becomes a personal thing ...
#6March 31st, 2012 · 11:29 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Denis your an animal .... Bet you'd see this vid before you bought!
Again you and your beauties .....

With your recording abilities, the clarity you can get, your going knock some socks off with this beautiful instrument.

Yeah, not quite sure what type of animal, perhaps a Panther...lol, I'm hunting down the bargains in style...he he..
And yes I did see the YouTube Vid U.L.I. posted above before I bought it. It was originally up for £300.00, down to £250.00, I then haggled further and got a bargain. Yeah that's me Panther Denis...lol
I want to convert my old Ibanez musician to a Fretless, you being a Carpenter and all, would love to do the job. Basically you remove the old frets then put maple veneer in it's place, make good -  as I said it looks like a great rewarding job, to play it is something else
#7March 31st, 2012 · 11:35 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Denis wrote…
ULI wrote…

Cheers U.L.I

Conversions are not cheep ... I'm in the middle of converting my LR 110 .... as in putting a new engine and gearbox in ... from a different LR ... there is a lot of work involved ..... but the result becomes a personal thing ...
Is it like this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-LAND-ROVER-LR-110-V8-SW-BLUE-/320878165204?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ab5d43cd4
#8March 31st, 2012 · 01:23 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis wrote…
kings wrote…
Denis wrote…
ULI wrote…

Cheers U.L.I

Is it like this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-LAND-ROVER-LR-110-V8-SW-BLUE-/320878165204?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ab5d43cd4
LOL I thought link was to a fretless bass !

No, a bit more like this one :

#9March 31st, 2012 · 07:51 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Denis wrote…
kings wrote…
Denis wrote…
ULI wrote…

Cheers U.L.I

Is it like this one
LOL I thought link was to a fretless bass !

No, a bit more like this one :

;)
Well you could shoot a music video in the back with a band featuring a fretless bass
#10April 5th, 2012 · 02:49 AM
5 threads / 1 songs
21 posts
Canada
Looks awesome! I myself have the SR480, so I guess they're close (though the 500 is of a slightly higher class ) I love playing this baby after a cheap squire.
#11April 5th, 2012 · 03:03 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
alexpopov wrote…
Looks awesome! I myself have the SR480, so I guess they're close (though the 500 is of a slightly higher class ) I love playing this baby after a cheap squire.
I also have an Ibanez 80's straight through neck which is nice, great for jazz. I may convert it to a fretless, but also considering a vintage jazz bass, copy of  fender, good reviews and only £240.00.
I would still like to own a Fender MIM or MIA jazz bass, just for that distinct Fender sound, although the Ibanez is close. Bass is not my main instrument, this new Ibanez is easy to play as far as Basses go.
#12May 4th, 2012 · 04:27 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Alex wrote…
I myself have the SR480, so I guess they're close (though the 500 is of a slightly higher class
Yeah, with "SR"- series basses (300, 400, 500) you always get a moneyworth instrument. Suitable to every genre.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:25 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.