#1October 19th, 2006 · 08:48 PM
1 threads
1 posts
Canada
Help In Amp Purchasing
Hi, I'm looking for a Tube Amp that's cheap and sounds nice. I don't know much about amps, so I came here so that I don't get ripped off at the stores. My budget is $600-900 canadian, tax included, no more. I'd like either a combo amp or a half stack, both definately Marshall, but the last resort is Fender. Like I said, I don't know much about amps so this is what I know I need.

-Combo Amp
2 Speakers
2 Channels
Tube Amp

-Half Stack
Don't know anything about 'em I just know it has to be a tube.

If anyone could help me, that would be greatly appreciated, I want a musician's opinion, not the saleman's in the store who wants to squeeze every penny out of me.

Sincerely,
Adam

P.S If this helps with anything, the style of guitar I play is Rock 'n' Roll, and blues.
#2October 19th, 2006 · 10:24 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
re:help
AdamLe wrote…
-Combo Amp
2 Speakers
2 Channels
Tube Amp

-Half Stack
Don't know anything about 'em I just know it has to be a tube.

P.S If this helps with anything, the style of guitar I play is Rock 'n' Roll, and blues.

Ok...  here is what you need....(click on the names of the equipment for more information)

Epiphone Valve Junior Head along with the Epiphone Triggerman Cabinet Do not be fooled by the 5 watt rating... This thing puts out no less than 10.5 watts while staying clean.. once you overdrive it, it goes up substantially.. Giving you a total output at about 45 watts fully driven, add a tube screamer to it, and this thing will blow you away... And total cost is only $338 US.. substantially less than your budget... leaving some cash for more cool toys like a Ebow or maybe a Talkbox! or maybe all of the above!   so, that's my two cents.. and BTW, I own one, and know a few serious pros who use this amp as well, they actually recommended it to me...  so, Check it out, BTW, that triggerman cabinet, is awesome... 
                  later....      
                        JimK
#3October 20th, 2006 · 06:53 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Adam,

I'm curious - why does it have to be a Marshall or Fender, and why MUST it be a valve amp?  I'd say that you're limiting yourself way too much there.  There are a number of excellent amps out there, including some that do amp modeling (e.g., the Line6 Flextone )which will be within your price range.

Jim AC
#4October 20th, 2006 · 05:53 PM
1 threads
1 posts
Canada
JimkDaAtman, I agree with you that the Epiphone Cab is really good, but I'd hesitate to buy that head. It's very basic, it doesn't have any bass or treble knobs, or any of those other fancy schmancy things. Also, I guess it doesn't have to be a Marshall, or Fender, it's just I'd really like it because they're big names, and I'm pretty sure they're quality amps.
#5October 20th, 2006 · 06:24 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
AdamLe wrote…
JimkDaAtman, I agree with you that the Epiphone Cab is really good, but I'd hesitate to buy that head. It's very basic, it doesn't have any bass or treble knobs, or any of those other fancy schmancy things. Also, I guess it doesn't have to be a Marshall, or Fender, it's just I'd really like it because they're big names, and I'm pretty sure they're quality amps.

You don't need the tone knob on a tube amp... it is truly wasted...  As well as bass.. The bass really comes from the speakers, and the knob gives you truly little control... you get much more control through the guitar, and some pedals...   So many people get the wrong idea about amps... They think the more options the better... but that actually makes it less appealing tonally... by adding the tone knob, and bass knob, all of that adds impeadance, that changes the sound flavor....  The true warm tube sound comes by removing them from the circuit... I can't tell you how many times I have removed all the controls except volume from amp heads for guitarists....  You don't want a high power head either, because that is actually harder to get a good sweet crunch sound from... For extreme Volume, you use a P.A. system to amp the speaker cab...   The only other amp  I would suggest to you would be a Valvetronix or a blues Junior... They are real nice amps... 

JimK
#6October 22nd, 2006 · 06:19 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
The Vox Valvetronix looks like a pretty damn decent amp.  Vox has a really good name in the guitar-amp world, to the point where it certainly will have people nodding their heads in approval - and what Jim says about cranking the volume up through the PA is spot on; it's the only real way of getting the sound you're satisfied with at high volumes.
Jim A
#7January 11th, 2007 · 08:55 AM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
orange tiny terror
You should really try this little head from orange it's a fantastic gear for the price and hooked up with a 2x12" cabinet it's very loud too for the watts
#8January 24th, 2007 · 10:31 AM
6 threads / 3 songs
27 posts
United States of America
i would go with the Vox Valvetronix. it really is a good amp..nice warm tone to it.
#9January 25th, 2007 · 12:17 PM
113 threads / 58 songs
464 posts
Nepal
valvetronix
I agree that the valvetronix is a nice amp but even if it has a tube in it you can't really call it a valve amp it's more a modeling amp in my view
and as good as they are they can't compete with the real tone of a decent valve amp
On that subject I agree with Jim about the various tone "knobs"less is better witch is bringing me back to the orange tiny terror it's a really fantastic sounding little beast
#10May 10th, 2007 · 02:41 AM
9 threads / 5 songs
24 posts
United States of America
All I can say is I bought a crate stack for 700 dollars new and it is an awesome amp in my opinion. I like it better than my friend's Marshall. However it doesn't have all the different effects and crap that my friend's Marshall does... But it does have reverb. It's a nice 120 watt amo. I can't remember the model number of it, and the stack is at my drummer's house. But like I said, it's a great amp, 700 dollars, complete stack, has reverb, oh and it's 3 channels - Solo, Rhythm distortion and clean.

I've never had a problem with it. The only bad thing about it is the channel peddal that came with it broke and it's cheeply made, but I bought a Digitech Hothead stop box and it sounds amazing.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 5:10 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.