#1August 19th, 2006 · 07:28 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
New Guitar...
I wanted to get a Semi-hollow guitar...  Was looking at the Epiphone Sheraton, and the Ibanez Artcore, because I have heard such good things about them.... then I found something I never would have lookedt at but the guy told me to try it.... so I did....

It is an Oscar Schmidt by Washburn... Anyone who knows anything about them, knows this is their low level brand....  The guitar was only $99 brand new... And it is nice....

Below is a low quality slideshow... 

or you can check out the larger pics, and some sound clips at http://jkoontz.com/oscar

JimK
#2August 19th, 2006 · 09:51 PM
9 threads / 4 songs
209 posts
India
ME=CONFUSED
well i also inteded to but a semi hollow guitar....
but well couldnt do so....
and still am confused about...
which to buy a hollow body or semi hollow body.....
well after listening to the sound clip...
i think that the hollow body guitar's sound is quite different from a hollow body guitar..

sorry cant help...
but thanks for asking this question...
as this would aslo help me!!!!

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHICH ONE TO BUY A HOLLOW BODY OR SEMI HOLLOW BODY...?
#3August 19th, 2006 · 10:18 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Simple
A hollow body is going to have less sustain than a semi-hollow body.. and a semi-hollow has less sustain than a Solid Body... as for anything else, well, it is really a matter of preference... the reason to get a hollow or semi-hollow is because the acoustic properties of it allow it a tone that is much smoother, albeit muddier than a solid body, this works well when playing blues, jazz, etc, because it lends a mellowness that is appreciated by the style...  I would suggest a semi-hollow myself.. more versatile, and easier to work on... The Ibanez Artcore series has a glued in neck, the OS I got has bolt on neck.. There is another section to cover, which is better... Glued in has advantages, because it always has the right angle, but Bolt on is easier to replace, and adjust when needed, though they need adjusting more often.. I think the main thing to worry about is how much does the thing vibrate... if there is ALOT of vibration, that is bad... if there is NO vibration, that is bad too... The tone wood is too rigid with no vibration, the guitar is not rigid enough with too much vibration..

Hope that helps...
              Jim K
#4August 20th, 2006 · 03:47 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
I have been looking at buying a semi-hollow guitar myself, would you recommend the Oscar Schmidt?

It looks pretty cool in your slideshow but does it have a good sound?

and thats $99 US right, but thats still pretty cheap probably a good price for me cos i'm such a cheap skate...
#5August 20th, 2006 · 03:58 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
ok just saw the link and listened to the sound clip... sounds cool

I also just went onto the website and had a look, found it but it says its $399 did you buy it private or something? cos man i want one of those for a hundred bucks
#6August 20th, 2006 · 06:02 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Hey!
Oscar Schmidt OE30 Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar Click below for the $99 price!    And YES! I RECOMMEND IT! This is guaranteed more BANG for the BUCK!

http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5607334&siteid=41465077&bfpid=514013&;
#7August 20th, 2006 · 11:21 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
That's a real nice looking guitar, Jim! Congrats, and congrats about what you had to pay for it, too... unfortunately I can't seem to access the soundclips (loading seems to get stuck) but I bet it must sound real nice. I happen to have a similar model; a Vantage 635V

It's the one to the right ofcourse.. . . Though it did cost a little bit more...

I love the warm tone this type of guitar provides. I've used in onstage a lot when I was a guitarist in a rock band... you can get a very rich, very warm distortion out of a semi hollow.

Actually I got to compare the beast one on one with a Gibson CS of a former coworker of mine. The difference in sound is marginal!!! The difference in price is not!!!!!!!!!

So there ya go.... Anyway it's nice to noodle on acoustically aswell when it's late at night I don't really want to bother anyone inside the house
#8August 21st, 2006 · 05:37 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
my first real guitar was a
gibson es345 that my dad got in a trade for an old  Ford El Ranchero car he had.
I was very young and was swindled out of that guitar by a salesman, in a trade for a Les Paul. 

I wished I still had that guitar it's the one that got away.

Thanks for posting this because I was looking at some semi hollow bodied guitars.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 10:37 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.