#1August 11th, 2006 · 04:03 PM
4 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United Kingdom
Recording on my "lovely" laptop...
(this is my first ever post! woo for me...)

Hello...

I have this problem when I record with my laptop... It's incredibly annoying...
When I record using the microphone socket (not the best way by any stretch of the imagination, I know, but its all I can use at the moment) I get this horrible buzzing on all the tracks if I leave the power cable in the PC (ie. so it doesn't have to run on batteries). I often record quite long pieces, and so as you can imagine, a warning noise from the PC telling me the power is low after a couple of tracks is really quite annoying, to put it mildly.

I record using the output of a little mixing desk going into the microphone socket of my Dell laptop, on which I use cubase.

Could someone suggest a method of recording or piece of apparatus that would stop the horrible buzz I get on the recordings when I leave the power in the PC?

Thanks
#2August 11th, 2006 · 04:40 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
alright

I have a dell laptop too, which I use in my audio rig. And .. this is my main computer, by all means, at the moment.

I am very happy with it.

Listen carefully:

1) do not use your microphone socket. it's no good.... It'll work for scratch pad type of things, and internet phone type of things (like msn, or skype), but it does not and was not designed to deliver a good enough quality for a musician's audio recordings, at all.

what I have done... I already had an external mixer (yamaha md8) and some other fine equipment (zoom mrs1608 with USB), so all I needed was the cheapest available usb audio interface to get a buzz-free quality of audio going in and out of my lil dell. I bought it for 60 euros: a Phonic DigiTrack with stereo (or 2x mono) in, stereo out, and s/pdif in/out. No buzz no hum, just good clean audio when used with asio4all to take care of any input latency problems. I also use an M-Audio Uno for midi interface. All the cheapest gear but it works like a well oiled machine

Anywho... I suggest getting a nice USB-interface mixer... Behringer makes decent quality for lil $, Alesis maybe even better. Go googling and decide whether it's worth it or not. You could also try a single USB mic for your stuff (I'd go for a mixer instead), or maybe the GuitarPlug or whatever... Have fun researching... music in all it's aspects is supposed to be fun
#3August 11th, 2006 · 05:13 PM
4 threads / 1 songs
8 posts
United Kingdom
Indeed...all fun, almost all the time...
Thanks a lot.... I had looked at USB interfaces, but not had anyone to talk to about whether they would help!
I shall experiment...

Cheers Dude!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 11:20 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.