#1May 26th, 2010 · 02:02 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
Fender 50's Telecaster Road Worn Series
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a Fender Telecaster this week (mainly because they're being reduced from AU$1,900 to AU$800 at a shop down the road) Anyway I was wondering what everyone thinks of them??

The model I'm looking at is a Mexican Standard 50's remake Telecaster from the Road Worn Series (which means it has pre-made scuffs and marks to look like its really old) so if anyone has used one or has any opinion on them let me know.

I'm going into the store tomorrow to try it out for myself but was also just after some other opinions.

thanks dudes
James
#2May 26th, 2010 · 11:33 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Try out a few to compare, Why a Tele? A Strat is more versatile
#3May 26th, 2010 · 02:26 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I learned to play guitar on a Telecaster and played it for many years. I love them...physically, they're well-balanced guitars- and they provide the fundamental sound for so many genres of music - however, they also have their limitations. Their single-coil pickups can be "squealy" and thin, and if you're focused on trying to get a ballsy, phat sound, you'll be disappointed. To enjoy a Tele, you have to want that Tele sound. Denis is correct in my opinion, Strats are more versatile (unless you're specifically going for that Tele experience). The Mexican Teles may have some compromises in the quality of the electronics and the quality of the wood (thus their cheaper price).
#4May 26th, 2010 · 11:05 PM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
I tried out both the tele and the strat and I prefer the tone of the telecaster. It has a really nice blues sound to it, I was jamming some Stevie Ray Vauhgn riffs and it sounded pretty epic.

I agree the strats are probably more versatile and give a much sharper pop rock kinda tone but I'm thinking of putting humbuckers in the tele to make it a bit more in your face.

I'm in two bands and I already have a guitar for each that suits the genre so this guitar is more for my secret love of blues as well as for a bit of diversity in my live performance.

Anyway thanks for the feedback,

Also what do you think of putting humbuckers in a telecaster?
#5May 27th, 2010 · 07:45 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
JTDultimate wrote…
I tried out both the tele and the strat and I prefer the tone of the telecaster. It has a really nice blues sound to it, I was jamming some Stevie Ray Vauhgn riffs and it sounded pretty epic.

I agree the strats are probably more versatile and give a much sharper pop rock kinda tone but I'm thinking of putting humbuckers in the tele to make it a bit more in your face.

I'm in two bands and I already have a guitar for each that suits the genre so this guitar is more for my secret love of blues as well as for a bit of diversity in my live performance.

You may want to also try a semi Acoustic, many famous blues players use them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkP-l4tmkMk

Dinfinate No No putting Humbuckers on a Tele, it will NOT sound the same, since it's the BLUES sound of the guitar that interests you, perhaps upgrade them to the best tele pic-ups you can find
#6May 27th, 2010 · 08:48 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
JTDultimate wrote…

Why not get one with a humbucker already installed?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Series-72-Telecaster-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=510475
Might save you some complicated routing chores....

Or you could build your own:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Tele.aspx
#7April 30th, 2011 · 08:02 AM
15 threads / 5 songs
76 posts
Australia
For the record I bought this guitar and it is amazing. One of the best things I have ever bought. Got it for a bargain price too.

If anyone is ever looking into a Fender Telecaster I highly HIGHLY recommend!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 18th, 2024 · 10:04 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.