#1February 10th, 2010 · 06:23 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
12 String Acoustic
I've just taken delivery of a Godman 12 String Electro acoustic, Nobody bid on it accept me, paid the starting bid price of £85.00,  the buy it now price was £120.00 The ebayer has been around a long time with an excellent rating, he claimed it sounded better then an EKO or Yamaha, so I took as gamble and bought it.
Give me a while to get used to it, I'll upload something, hopefully you will approve.

Well the only thing is that the strings a very cheap quality, I broke one just tuning it up    ....lol
I normally buy D'Addario phosphorous Bronze for my 6 string acoustic.
Crickey the 12 string sets are £13.00   , I came across a make called 'Darco', which had a good right up and were half the price. Has anybody tried them out?

This is my first 12 string, I thought it would be a doddle to play having played the guitar a life time, but as the neck is slightly wider and the strings different levels on the thicker ones, you have to create a new finger position to get a clean sound. Ohh I started playing around  with 'Wish you were here' - Pink Floyd, sounded quite nice, I think the original starts off with a 12 String, perhaps I'll do a Cover one day of it, I must say it's a nice track to play on the Acoustic.

Has anyone else experienced a 12 String?
#2February 10th, 2010 · 11:42 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
yeah theres lots of great floyd tracks that include a 12 string (wish you were here being one of them).

the only experience ive had with a 12 string is in guitar center.
#3February 11th, 2010 · 06:01 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
I have an acoustic 12 string since 1979. Both of us went through quite a lifetime. Toastedgoat's "Rains" starts with a 12 string i.e. Had bad experiences with thin strings. You must re-tune such soft strings every chord you play. Try some thicker strings minimum 010 - 047 (not 008 or 009) and your play has a better feeling. That's what I've noticed over the years
#4February 11th, 2010 · 09:39 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
I have an acoustic 12 string since 1979. Both of us went through quite a lifetime. Toastedgoat's "Rains" starts with a 12 string i.e. Had bad experiences with thin strings. You must re-tune such soft strings every chord you play. Try some thicker strings minimum 010 - 047 (not 008 or 009) and your play has a better feeling. That's what I've noticed over the years

Thats really helpful, I'll start off with 010 -047, see how that goes. I've ordered a Darco Phosphorous Bronze set, only £6.00, the right up says they are good value, if they are no good, I'll order some D'Addarios

Cheers
#5February 11th, 2010 · 10:26 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
you need to check with the guitar builder.. lots of 12 stings don't handle standard tuning .. The soundplate and the bridge will pull up.. Most 12 string guys tune down 1/2 step then use a capo at the first fret. The do this to avoid the extra pull on the sound board.  read up on it.. and check with your guitar builder.
#6February 11th, 2010 · 12:00 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
you need to check with the guitar builder.. lots of 12 stings don't handle standard tuning .. The soundplate and the bridge will pull up.. Most 12 string guys tune down 1/2 step then use a capo at the first fret. The do this to avoid the extra pull on the sound board.  read up on it.. and check with your guitar builder.

Cool, I assume 010 gauge is light to medium, so that'll be OK, I'll see how it sounds. but I'll check with the guitar builder as you suggested, or indeed tune it down, It will probably be easier to play too. Cricky the tips of my fingers were acheing when I first tried it out yesterday, but then I suppose the strings are contacting different part of my finger-tips compared to a 6 string, thus not so much callus.

Thinking a bout it it may be an idea to slacken the tension when not in use, but then again this may attract movement where the neck joins the body.

On my 6 string acoustic I use 012 guage, which is perfect for me, I've seen up to 014 guage on the 12 string, I think you'll need bionic fingers with those babies...lol
#7February 13th, 2010 · 02:39 AM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
12 strings....
Most of my songs are done with a 12 string acoustic rhythm track...
My first guitar was a  1972 Gibson Hummingbird Jumbo 12string...  I have owned a takamine 12 string acoustic/electric since 1981.. bought it brand new..  that is one big guitar..  recently I purchased a yamaha model APX-4-12A with hardshell case for $125.00  it is a great little guitar...  smaller then most I'm use to!  A couple of years ago I purchased a gross of strings..  a  couple of cases..  enough for every guitar we have...  since my son started playing more seriously, the stash is thinning out...  the darco's are just that, cheap...   so far they've played fairly well.. don't last quite as long when playing more then a couple of nights a week..   but the main gripe is the string not being wound as well or snugly around the little brass part and pulling loose when first stringing them, and I've had two slip loose while playing....   as for 12strings, over the years I've tried them all, even went as far as to put my own sizes and all together..  I've found for the money, Martin 80/20's to be as good if not better then anything else out there...  with my ovation double, and all three of the acoustic/electric 12strings we own,  the martins have been the best!!! and not really that expensive considering the service you get out of them!!!!  I should get paid for that plug ya know...

there...  just one 12 string picker's personal opinion...   

peace and blessings,

Dan

#8February 13th, 2010 · 03:38 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
re: 12 strings....
Blueyes wrote…
My first guitar was a  1972 Gibson Hummingbird Jumbo 12string...  I have owned a takamine 12 string acoustic/electric since 1981.. bought it brand new..  that is one big guitar..  recently I purchased a yamaha model APX-4-12A with hardshell case for $125.00  it is a great little guitar...  smaller then most I'm use to!  A couple of years ago I purchased a gross of strings..  a  couple of cases..  enough for every guitar we have...  since my son started playing more seriously, the stash is thinning out...  the darco's are just that, cheap...   so far they've played fairly well.. don't last quite as long when playing more then a couple of nights a week..   but the main gripe is the string not being wound as well or snugly around the little brass part and pulling loose when first stringing them, and I've had two slip loose while playing....   as for 12strings, over the years I've tried them all, even went as far as to put my own sizes and all together..  I've found for the money, Martin 80/20's to be as good if not better then anything else out there...  with my ovation double, and all three of the acoustic/electric 12strings we own,  the martins have been the best!!! and not really that expensive considering the service you get out of them!!!!  I should get paid for that plug ya know...

peace and blessings,

Dan

speaking of Martins.. I am thinning my herd of medium grade guitars.. I am going to finally bite the bullet  and get what I want...60's model Martin D28,, Another Yari custom built 12 string.
Bogner amp and another Hughes and Kettner combo tube amp.. plus a splawn custom built 69 JMP 50 watt marshall.

I am also going to get a PRS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ppLt2r-5o might even break down and get a matchless... I hung a shingle on the door now.. why I've been busy.. I am subbing for a pro studio.. building tracks. and doing guitar work/ vocals. Plus they rent my gear/...yeah.
#9February 13th, 2010 · 04:37 AM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
oh man no...
I had just typed a nice long meaty post and it all was lost due to a time out... oh well..  hey, here's a pic of that little yamaha 12,  my lil piggy and two of the roland micro-cube amps...  along with a couple of modeling pedals, beats trying to move a truck load of equip. around.. but there's still so much to be said for the exact sounds got from those old amps... no stomp box will ever be able to quite reproduce that!!! like my twin, or the marshalls, the ampeg triple cabinet bass rig...  ya know!?!?

peace and blessings,

Bluey

#10February 13th, 2010 · 06:08 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: 12 strings....
Blueyes wrote…

peace and blessings,

Dan

Cool, I noticed Darco Strings I just purchased are made by Martin & Co, so what is the difference between then and the ones you suggested?. I'm going to re-string mine tonight see how it sounds.

Thanks for the info
#11February 13th, 2010 · 07:54 AM
37 threads / 19 songs
618 posts
United States of America
re: re: 12 strings....
just a lower grade line...    but ya know what bro?? I've come to the conclusion,  the strings
that feel best and sound the best to you!!!!  tha's what is really the answer!! ;-)

peace and blessings,

Danny
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:45 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.