1 2

#1February 3rd, 2010 · 06:37 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Motu ultralite Mk2
I'm building my own PC again but I dont want to migrate my old Creative Live (with front panel) to the new tower (I can, but I dont want to).
so I's went a lookin for a 'Sound card' on line, I started locally and came up with this, it's in Dutch but you'll get the idea.
http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?url=http%3A//verkopers.marktplaats.nl/2159867

I've read up on the Motu and come up with mostly very positive reviews.

As I'm still looking and thinking about it I'd love to hear some views from some people who know a little more about these things than I do.....any suggestions ? ..... changes in direction ?
#2February 3rd, 2010 · 12:39 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I have been using MOTO stuff for years.. I started off 12 years ago with  motu 2408's  I upgraded two years ago to the newer motu 2408's   I still have my older ones and they work just fine.  There is a guy somewhere near Chicago Ill., that does a very nice chip up grade,  that brings these in line with the high dollar stuff.

I think motu stuff is some of the best out there for the amount of $$$.  They also have a very good customer service dept. and service dept.  I say go for it. I love my motu I/O/'s .

I started out with a G3 mac the first generation 2408's using digital perfomer... at times I still wished I had that setup.  It was simple, worked great never gave me any problems. 

At home I am using PC with newer 2408's XP and Vista gave me problems..  I upgraded my computer last month .. win 7 (32bit)  4 new 500 gig HD, 1 2T external drive, 2 super fast lightscribe DVD burners.  So far so good. Cubase 5 is smoking good with the motu stuff.  NO problems at all.
#3February 3rd, 2010 · 03:20 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
toastedgoat wrote…
I have been using MOTO stuff for years.. I started off 12 years ago with  motu 2408's  I upgraded two years ago to the newer motu 2408's  I still have my older ones and they work just fine.  There is a guy somewhere near Chicago Ill., that does a very nice chip up grade,  that brings these in line with the high dollar stuff.

I think motu stuff is some of the best out there for the amount of $$$.  They also have a very good customer service dept. and service dept.  I say go for it. I love my motu I/O/'s .

I started out with a G3 mac the first generation 2408's using digital perfomer... at times I still wished I had that setup.  It was simple, worked great never gave me any problems. 

At home I am using PC with newer 2408's XP and Vista gave me problems..  I upgraded my computer last month .. win 7 (32bit)  4 new 500 gig HD, 1 2T external drive, 2 super fast lightscribe DVD burners.  So far so good. Cubase 5 is smoking good with the motu stuff.  NO problems at all.

toasty .... where have you beeeen, I thought you hated the internet anyway! 
Thanks so much for the view, much appreciated.
I sent the guy an e-mail this afternoon I still need to check for a reply...
He's asking 390 for it which is a bit above the normal 2nd hand price if I compare, and it has to be working and tidy of course.
As for the Motu it's self you confirm a lot of what I've read today...it's a good solid bit of hardware, with a good quality sound.
Except for the customer service, I did read that someone had had no response at all to some problem or other. Never mind this is second hand.

That set up of yours sound very juicy indeed  if those hard drives are satas, it must race.

I found a monstrous water cooled tower at the tip, took it home, stripped it, tested components bought a new mother board, video card and a dual processor. Now I need to put it all together.

This project of mine is actually quite cool, last night I made a bracket to hold the water cooled head on to the processor, the holes on the cooler head did not correspond with the motherboard, and I wanted the water cooling system, so I had to make it fit.

I still have to bid for this Motu .... it's not mine yet.

Here's where I am with the pc :

It's an "old" gaming pc, see-through sides, neon lights .. the works lol
Cheers again toasty and good to see you around again..seriously!
#4February 4th, 2010 · 10:19 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Saw a NEW Mk 3 for £396.00
http://www.millennium-music.co.uk/products/categories/subcategories/MOTU%20Ultralite%20Mk3/brands/detail/key/p/ppp/

You could use it to negotiate down to say £200.00 
#5February 4th, 2010 · 11:49 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Hmm! Yes! thats about 450euros ..... worth considering , I actually thought someone might come along and do that....show me a better deal.
I did read on a review page that the MkII software is better than the MkIIIs, AND the only difference between II and III is that III has DSP driven effects.....I'm not too sure what DSP is at the moment but no one on the forum seamed to ever use it ! lol.... so they were trying to say that the MkII is as good as (if not better!)
 I still havent heard from matey.....and he has no phone number up, so I'll just have to wait.....and look around a bit more.
This one is local so I can see and try before I buy.
#6February 6th, 2010 · 12:47 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
toastedgoat wrote…
I have been using MOTO stuff for years.. I started off 12 years ago with  motu 2408's  I upgraded two years ago to the newer motu 2408's  I still have my older ones and they work just fine.  There is a guy somewhere near Chicago Ill., that does a very nice chip up grade,  that brings these in line with the high dollar stuff.

toasty .... where have you beeeen, I thought you hated the internet anyway! 
Thanks so much for the view, much appreciated.
I sent the guy an e-mail this afternoon I still need to check for a reply...
He's asking 390 for it which is a bit above the normal 2nd hand price if I compare, and it has to be working and tidy of course.
As for the Motu it's self you confirm a lot of what I've read today...it's a good solid bit of hardware, with a good quality sound.
Except for the customer service, I did read that someone had had no response at all to some problem or other. Never mind this is second hand.

That set up of yours sound very juicy indeed  if those hard drives are satas, it must race.

I found a monstrous water cooled tower at the tip, took it home, stripped it, tested components bought a new mother board, video card and a dual processor. Now I need to put it all together.

This project of mine is actually quite cool, last night I made a bracket to hold the water cooled head on to the processor, the holes on the cooler head did not correspond with the motherboard, and I wanted the water cooling system, so I had to make it fit.

I still have to bid for this Motu .... it's not mine yet.

Here's where I am with the pc :

It's an "old" gaming pc, see-through sides, neon lights .. the works lol
Cheers again toasty and good to see you around again..seriously!

Looks like you are giving the PC a Triple BY-PASS, I always thought you were a Brain Surgeon
#8February 6th, 2010 · 06:24 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis
Your a star star!
I took a look at those very nice bits of equipment, I could make a bid for that last one (first one) but it's not really what I'm looking for, I have a rack sampler...never use it...haven't got the space, and I dont think I'll ever use all the I/Os.
I need something that I'll use and suites my needs better, I can see the Motu Ultralite doing that, even something like the M-audio PC card with cables would be enough.

That tower is a monster....I thought of calling it Frank, (I name my systems). I've had to fill that cooling system with radiator coolant. It cooled the video card and the processor, I've got it to cool the processor.

I still haven't heard from matey with the Motu yet and I've still got the highest bid.
#9February 6th, 2010 · 06:34 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I have a question though after seeing that add....Firewire..I thought it was a cable connection.
On the box it says  Firewire Audio Interface but the description says Super fast USB 2 technology !
Same goes for my 'Media' motherboard....it has what it calls an "IEEE 1394a" and a "7.1 Surround Sound with Dolby (Intel High Definition Audio)" socket. It is exactly the same socket that's on the front of the Motu Ultralite, and they call it Firewire....
Is it that the name Firewire has been given as a 'nickname' by only some manufacturers or are we talking different cables and sockets?
#10February 6th, 2010 · 09:06 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Not sure. on that.. I'd call motu and ask them. or go to the motu forums.  I know the 828's are fire wire that do not use a pci card.. you just plug them into the firewire port on the computer.. They work fine if you have a super fast dual core or quad core..  imho I still like the ones with their own PCI card,, mainly because it takes most of the computing parts that lag the computer down away from the computer ..the pci card is designed to do the "work" as fast as it can , getting your latency down so low it's non noticeable.

I would think the ultra lite is firewire , but probably without a pci card.  Much like the 828's are.
#11February 7th, 2010 · 04:34 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394_interface

I recognised "IEEE 1394a", it's what I use to upload my videos,s to my PC, I purchased a Firefire PCI card for about £6.00, which has two sizes of sockets (4 pin & 6 pin), Firewire I've been told is a superb audio interface, although I've never tired it to record music.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280367125047

Edit*
I'm pretty sure the moto is six pin, so just make sure you buy the correct leads, simple
Edit2*
I think the 4 pin firewire socket looks similar to the USB 2 socket, the firewire being slightly smaller,
Edit3*
Ah there are two models to the 828, one is firewire, the other is USB2, the picks in the Ebay add clearly shows Firewire, but the moron who is selling it has described it as USB
http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/products/Motu%20828%20MK2
#12February 7th, 2010 · 06:47 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
yes firewire is a better interface. The reason is that firewire transmits information in both directions at the same time.  USB only transmits information one direction at a time.  The reason USB took off is because it is so much cheaper to install in a device than a firewire set up.  If you look at any of the high end interfaces
apogee or RME (pc users top grade stuff) .

I am thinking of getting one of these or maybe a smaller version

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_800.php
#13February 7th, 2010 · 09:42 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Denis , Yes I thought that 'moron' (do you know that's Welsh for carrot?) had taken a picture of one thing but copied and pasted info from another product.

I see what you mean about the 4 and 6 pin , so we are talking different connectors.........or maybe not ..... here's a Google definition: search 
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3A+FireWire+&aq=0&aqi=l1g10&oq=what+is+firewire

So it is a system just like USB but much better, developed by Apple, (explains the better quality but less known that usb.) It seams to move your video stuff under one name and moves audio under another name.

toasty .... you are just so much more a pro musician than I am...that fireface looks very nice....it's got all the connectors for a full studio. I tend to agree with the PCI card theory, that it does the work for the System when it's in the system.
I believe the same to be true for your video card..... and I do mean in your DAW. Because most 'resources' on modern OS's go into the Graphics and the fact that it 'displays' the programs your using. So it would make sense to also have a top video card....to do the work for the processor.

I believe you know the one about having two HDs (preferably sata for the speed), OS on one, Samples on the other. It speeds up the whole experience because the program and the samples are accessed separately.

You've mentioned your quad-core before and it got me thinking then.....I asked at my local computer shop and he said that it's all very over-rated in that there are no programs around that actually utilize processor 3 and 4, only a few top range games are programed to do so, maybe your top range audio programs do..I denno!
#14February 7th, 2010 · 02:47 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I knew I'd find a list of services to turn off somewhere....this one is OK
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1036/windows-xp-list-of-services-to-disable-to-increase-speed/

It does not list all the services but it lists the ones that are disable....able (?)
#15February 7th, 2010 · 11:24 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I think the newer stuff like cubase 5,, the new protools (not LE) and new sonar,  especially logic pro, are geared more to the newer computers running quad core.. I know I just got the newer upgraded Digital performer and it suggest using quad core mac. If your using something like older FL studio and cubase sx3.. duo core is fine.
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 11:41 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.