#1November 2nd, 2009 · 07:57 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Does notation/sample software exist?
The title might be a bit confusing, but it's what I'm getting at.

I don't know how many people know, but I got the FL Studio 9 demo awhile back. It was fun making drum beats, synth sounds and all that, but after awhile, I found that it just wasn't my style of music composition.

Though, with that, I'm not very satisfied with NoteWorthy Composer, which I use to write most (if not all) my music.

See, NoteWorthy lets me write in proper notation (staves, key signatures, time signatures, actual notes), compared to FL Studio, which is (I might exaggerate) placing buttons on keys.

Here's an example of how I write my music: http://trenchcoatandsatchel.wikidot.com/storagesamples
(Don't worry, it's my own website - the images might take awhile to load, though.)

Screenshots are limited, but you can kind of get an idea of what NWC is like from that (which is much like Finale, which might be a more popular MIDI composition tool.) The second screenshot contains a little blurb on the bottom, which is the instrumentation of the screenshot.

On the other hand, FL Studio lets me write stuff with some of the best sound quality I've heard (because it uses samples rather than computer-generated "noise"), not to mention the convenience of exporting the final copy as an MP3 file, along with a MIDI import feature.

I don't like how notes are input into FL Studio, but I'm too poor to afford a keyboard as well, and I'm starting to grow tired of hearing the "dull" MIDI patches I've been working with for 4 years in NoteWorthy Composer. So, I've thought of an idea, but I need some suggestions.

If (and that's a big IF) there's any software out there that can write music like NoteWorthy while using samples/non-MIDI patches like in FL Studio, I'd be glad to hear any suggestions. Basically, think FL Studio with a NoteWorthy composer interface; simpler, cleaner, and more "composing over songwriting".

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, preferably ones that have demos out for it.

Thanks for reading.

--XFactor--

P.S. Of course, if this software is non-existent, I think I'll be happy with NoteWorthy.
#2November 3rd, 2009 · 03:17 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Hmm, don't know if there is such a thing?
When you say that FL 'Is not your style of Composition' what do you mean exactly?

You could write out your music manually?

Do you have a basic Keyboard with midi interface? you could use that as your controller, providing you have a midi interface/midi soundcard/cables? You can also buy a USB interface relatively inexpensive? I think it's worth it to save-up and purchase a keyboard, you might be able to pick one up cheap second-hand?
#3November 3rd, 2009 · 05:54 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Hmm... Yeah, thanks for the advice, Denis! I'll definitely look into buying a keyboard... Eventually. Maybe when I'm done high school, I'll start planning for big things like that.

FL Studio offers what I'd consider "block" composition, Studio. It just seems that FL Studio is too much electronic/down-to-earth type music writing (you can't see the notation, rather, just a limited amount of beats per bar), whereas NoteWorthy is flexible and unlimited in terms of input. It might be hard to explain what the difference is in words, simply because NoteWorthy Composer lets me write music in a complete different style in comparison to FL Studio.

In NoteWorthy, I can click a spot on a staff and press enter to input a note. Also, to change the volume in something, I would click a button to add fortes, pianissimos, legatos, sforzandos, etc. I can also manipulate volume, tempo, stereo pans and more, all within a simple thing called a "multi-point controller", which is what seperates NWC music from regular MIDI-translations.

Metaphorically, I prefer writing like Mozart rather than a DJ with a mixer (like The Prodigy).

But all in all, it's easier said than done, of course. It's like the left wing and right wing of politics. Does a middle, more "liberal" area of songwriting software exist?

Anyways, after reading a few comments on my song "Stronghold", I might try writing the entire song in NoteWorthy, cutting out each staff (still in NoteWorthy), and saving them as seperate MIDI files. With those, I import them into FL Studio where the notes are still maintained, but I have a wider selection of sound. Who knows, maybe one day I'll try that out.

--XFactor--
#4November 4th, 2009 · 11:26 AM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
They sell mini keyboards, check out the M-Audio Axiom.

They're at a good price point too.
#5November 4th, 2009 · 05:32 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I think what your ultimately looking for is a program like Cubase.
You can edit/create your music using either 'key' or 'score' editors. Key being midi blocks and score being notes.
Cubase is excellent!
I dont use the Score editor but I can only assume that it is roughly the same as your NoteWorthy, just made by Steinberg.
FL can install it's self as a VST instrument into your vst plugins folder, so you can then open it up as an instrument in Cubase.
But in your case you wont be able to save your song because of the demo FL.
I suggest you jump on and download Cubase 5 (an old version, dead simple interface and has all you'll ever need.....) and a properly hacked FL7. Nothing wrong with using older versions of a program 

I just made a search on The Piratebay and Avaxhome for 'cubase' and came up with.....just what I was looking for ! lol
Google is wonderful too!    
#6November 5th, 2009 · 04:42 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
I think what your ultimately looking for is a program like Cubase.
You can edit/create your music using either 'key' or 'score' editors. Key being midi blocks and score being notes.
Cubase is excellent!
I dont use the Score editor but I can only assume that it is roughly the same as your NoteWorthy, just made by Steinberg.
FL can install it's self as a VST instrument into your vst plugins folder, so you can then open it up as an instrument in Cubase.
But in your case you wont be able to save your song because of the demo FL.
I suggest you jump on and download Cubase 5 (an old version, dead simple interface and has all you'll ever need.....) and a properly hacked FL7. Nothing wrong with using older versions of a program 

I just made a search on The Piratebay and Avaxhome for 'cubase' and came up with.....just what I was looking for ! lol
Google is wonderful too!     ;)

Sounds just the ticket
#7November 5th, 2009 · 09:55 PM
50 threads / 32 songs
292 posts
Canada
Okay, I looked up Cubase... I don't really have the money for a $100+ program.

Are you suggesting that I torrent this thing (regarding the quote of "Piratebay"? I could, along with the software crack (basically "steal" the program), but I couldn't install it without my parents' permission (I don't have admin rights over the computer).

I checked out the features Cubase has though... I've definitely kept this one in mind, thanks for the advice!
#8November 6th, 2009 · 02:32 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
XFactor wrote…
Okay, I looked up Cubase... I don't really have the money for a $100+ program.

Are you suggesting that I torrent this thing (regarding the quote of "Piratebay"? I could, along with the software crack (basically "steal" the program), but I couldn't install it without my parents' permission (I don't have admin rights over the computer).

I checked out the features Cubase has though... I've definitely kept this one in mind, thanks for the advice!

Would make a nice Xmas prezzy, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more. If you search hard enough sometimes cubase comes free with certain software. Also there are many versions, I've got cubasis 5 which is a very basic version of cubase (you could probably buy it on ebay for around $10.00), I'm not certain if it would have the features that Kings mentioned (I dont use it for recording I use a workstation), it came free with my pc, I can send it to you if you have skype or messenger, infact I think I have two of the same, they are originals, could even post it to you.
Edit**
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinnacle-Systems-Steinberg-Cubasis-VST/dp/B0000VPAJ0/ref=sr_1_1/278-4698577-9712046?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1257536395&sr=1-1
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 16th, 2024 · 5:21 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.