#1May 25th, 2006 · 02:49 AM
5 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
United States of America
Add External Speaker Jack to Amp
Hi, i have a old fender sidekick reverb (65w, 12in speaker), and i would like to add an external speaker jack to it. i was thinking of just cutting the wire that leads from the amp to the speaker and splitting it so that the external cabnet and the seaker both get power, but i dont know if that would work. Has anyone ever done this before? And, if so, what is the best and easiest way to go about it. Thanks in advance for any help!
#2May 25th, 2006 · 10:29 AM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
yeah,
that is how I did it, back when.... except I wired a toggle switch inline, so I could switch between internal speaker, and cabinet...

that way, I didn't have both running, as it draws too much and causes it to sound shitty

You have to make sure the speakers are rated at the same ohm rating as the amp specs..

and make sure you dont go overboard with too many speakers.. 2x12 cab will work nicely, and it will really make a difference in the sound...

I have seen someone do a 4x12 cab, with a 65w amp, and it didn't really work like he hoped.. the 2x12 worked better.. actually sounded smoother and louder... the 4x12 was pulling too much, so he didn't get as much output... 

anyway, that is my two cents worth... dont forget the toggle switch...  

Jim K
#3May 25th, 2006 · 12:46 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
pay attention of the Ohm!!! That's all you need. A switch sounds good.
#4May 25th, 2006 · 03:37 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Ohm's and wiring (serial or parallel)
There's a few techie ppl on this site that will definitely be able to help (I'm not one of them!)
#5May 26th, 2006 · 01:22 AM
5 threads / 3 songs
11 posts
United States of America
the default speaker in my mp has no ohm rating stamped to the back of it. is there any way i can test this?

also, i liked your idea of the toggle switch, but i cant envision a schematic for how that would work. is there any way i can get a picture of something like that?

thanks to everyone for all the help!
#6May 27th, 2006 · 12:22 PM
11 posts
United States of America
Most guitar speakers are 8 Ohm, or 16 Ohm impedance. The best way to check this is to get a voltage meter that has an Ohm setting on the meter. I use a FLUKE model 73 meter. Detach the speaker leads from the amp, and use the meter on the terminal posts of the speaker. An 8 Ohm speaker will give you a reading on the meter from 4.1 Ohms, to 7.9 Ohms. A 16 Ohm speaker will give you a reading of 8.1 Ohms to 15.9 Ohms. Also keep in mind that the amp may be set up internally for a certain Ohm load to achieve the sound that it has now. And, adding an additional speaker may affect the sound quality in an adverse way. Check the impedance, and try adding another speaker. If is sounds bad you can have the amp modified. Hope this helps.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 1:02 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.