#1May 20th, 2009 · 09:19 AM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Ugh! My stereo GK Amp Head Fried-Help?
Can anyone give me any suggestions. My Gallien Krueger ML/P stereo power amp head fried last night. (Ugh)
Actually I know what's wrong with it..... *1st the on/off switch fried out and when I was jumping it, it blew the internal power supply on the circuit board  *ouch!  It know it could be fixed,,,,, but the cost to fix it out weighs the value of the amp in general.  I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good solution, where I could use a stereo amp head or power mixer to  do the job.  I was actually looking at the Behringer PMP 2000 800 watt 10 channel power mixer. There is one in my area for sale for $300, brand new. I want to be able to use it in my studio #1 and also if I play out live it can double for that as well. Any thoughts?   Here is the link to the Behringer PMP 2000 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/PMP2000.aspx
 Any help would be extremely appreciated!!!!!    Thanks in advance,
Fid
#2May 20th, 2009 · 09:37 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Wow The PMP 2000 looks great value for money, do you need that amount of power, I'm just a "Mackie" freek, but would not have a clue what to recommend, in ony that if your gonna use it for studio use, the preamps may be too noisy, but sure it will work.
My cousin has a Peavy PA,  a lot more money, but great PA
#3May 20th, 2009 · 09:56 AM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
HI Denis,
  Yea... I certainly do not need that much power, but I was thinking I could use it for several applications for instance;   A total mixing solution for the studio and I would just use the pre-amps for when I'm playing through my quad marshall  speaker stack combined with my digitech effects rack. All I basically need is a power head,,,,, but this looks like it could do that plus much more.
#4May 20th, 2009 · 11:20 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I use behringer stuff in recording, and for me the preamps and stuff is very quiet. great made stuff and it looks like a great deal. i'd get it
#5May 21st, 2009 · 07:37 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
you talked about the price of the repair against the price of the amp... to me that is not a consideration when the amp is what I want for my sound...Guys have spent 10 of thousands of dollars  trying to capture "Their" sound.

If that amp is what you love to play through.. Fixing it seems like the thing to do to me.. I know if my Randall fries out,   I am gonna spend the money to get it fixed..
#6May 21st, 2009 · 07:50 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
you talked about the price of the repair against the price of the amp... to me that is not a consideration when the amp is what I want for my sound...Guys have spent 10 of thousands of dollars  trying to capture "Their" sound.

If that amp is what you love to play through.. Fixing it seems like the thing to do to me.. I know if my Randall fries out,   I am gonna spend the money to get it fixed..

I totally agree with you... But the power amp is not where I get my sound from.....  what blew up was an amp that is strictly volume control power.... My actual sound comes from #1 the guitars and pianos I use, but most importantly my pre-amps (which of course I would get fixed as well) and my mixers and my effect racks. The power head was not what actually produced my sound..... it just increased its volume, I'm sure you can understand that. I went out and bout a brand new QSC GX3 power head today   ( again...... just for power)  and my sound sounds the same if not better, because the head is, well newer for one and much much more quiet.
#7May 21st, 2009 · 08:05 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Here's is what I bought today....... not a bad price for a killer amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=481804&index=0
#8May 21st, 2009 · 09:08 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
sweet!!
#9May 21st, 2009 · 09:09 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Wow...Geez that looks pretty solid..To bad bout the power amp but hey now you have a better one huh..Very cool!
#10May 21st, 2009 · 09:31 PM
30 threads / 25 songs
219 posts
United States of America
Yea,,, thanks guys......  This amp is super sweet  300 watts /side stereo  . This thing will handle everything from regular house speakers used to monitor, upto 4 quad stacks.  Better to have too much power then not enough...  I have it set on 1-2   and  that is pushing 50-75 watts stereo. Plus  the amp will not overheat... ever. At least thats what the reviews say. Also everywhere online where I research the amp it has only but the highest ratings.  5 stars across the board    *  ~  one happy campah 
 Fid *s
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 2:18 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.