#1April 21st, 2009 · 12:05 AM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
Studio Speakers
Anyone have any recommendations for studio speakers? I'm looking some real ones. I'm feeling like my PA speakers aren't quite doing the job... So I'd like something with good sound quality, and hopefully not too expensive. I'm probably a fool for using "good quality" and "not too expensive" in the same sentence. But it's worth a shot.

Anyone?
#2April 21st, 2009 · 12:25 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I bought 99.oo Maudio speakers @ guitar center and after about a year one started to stop working until I finally gave up on fixing them..I use my gear every day so it gets quite the abuse..But I would try and  stay away from cheaper ones if possible..I got mackies MR 5 which are not crazy expensive but still work awesome..
My PA speakers sound great loud but not for mixing,done that and it sucks when you play the CD in a car!!!I have some flat response headphones too that helps a lot..
#3April 21st, 2009 · 12:37 AM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
I agree. I've got some sennheiser hd 280 pros which are great headphones. I was in the right place at the right time, they were being given away. That's actually happened with most of the equipment I own. Otherwise, I'd probably have nothing... Anyway, headphones are great, but sometimes I just need that room sound.

Well, I'll check into the MR 5s. Thanks.
#4April 21st, 2009 · 12:43 AM
#5April 21st, 2009 · 12:50 AM
66 threads / 55 songs
697 posts
United States of America
You know, I'm seriously going to consider these. I trust the Mackie stuff. Thanks man.
#6April 21st, 2009 · 12:55 AM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
I'm very happy with them...All I need to do is replace the one who uses them because he sucks(that would be me)..lol..Ya man they are great..
#7April 21st, 2009 · 02:47 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I like Mackie gear.
I've got used to using Logitec PC speakers, which has a center bass speaker, I suppose having owned them for three years I've got used to them, not ideal, but they work for me, I've never used proper moniters before.

They are similar to these:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/253&cl=gb,en
#8April 21st, 2009 · 04:23 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
What kind of price range are you talking about ?

try out the genelecs too. I don't know to much about the consumer line .. but look at lots of pro studio monitors and lots of them are using genelics. they offer up a consumer line home studio sets

http://www.sweetwater.com/c404--Genelec--Studio_Monitors

I haven't had time to check these out.. so far I am very happy with my JBL's ... Also make sure you tweak your room down some I swear it'll help.. Bass traps ect.
#9May 10th, 2009 · 08:24 AM
3 threads / 2 songs
9 posts
Fiji Islands
im using logitech 5.1 speakers, that have a 2.1-to-5.1 toggle... i listen to my mixes using the 2.1, but even that is not a good way to monitor your sound right?

anyways, what is better to use to monitor your track - headphones or speakers? and why?
#10May 11th, 2009 · 04:35 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
If your just talking about monitoring as you record the tracks.. headphones are fine.. and if you're real good and know you cans real well.. you can get a pretty good mix with headphones.....

That said... do your mixes with the best studio monitors you can afford, and spend some time learning how to treat your room to get as flat of freq. response at the ear level of your mixing position (sitting in our chair or wherever you listen and study the mixes at).

Very few people can do a top end mix with headphones.. They are used more for isolation while recording and selecting certain tracks to get rid of noise or problems. 

You can google  this and find out more scientific reasons why doing full mixes with cans usually won't give you the best mix. 

after all that ... I have done mixes with my headphones (but they are pricey headphones), and the mix probably still would have been better if I had of used my studio monitors.
#11May 18th, 2009 · 01:06 PM
131 threads / 114 songs
295 posts
United Kingdom
i wouldn't go for the makie 5's the speaker diaphram is too small imo so your lower freqs will roll off @ higher freqs so u might get bass heavy mixes if you go for mackie i'd save up and get the HR624mk2's which everyone i've spoken to say are amazing, if not, i'd got for the ADAM A7's if you got the cash, if not i'd for for the KRK Rokit 6 G2's thats what i have, really really good quality speakers imo ultra flat frequency response and clear sound, sound as good as the £2k speakers in the recording studios I use imo
#12May 19th, 2009 · 02:01 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Yes Yes, If you have the cash, grab the 624's! They are renown... I have Yamaha HS50M's... which i love except that I need to add the sub... Ultra flat response modeled on the famous Yamaha NS-10's, which is in like every studio ever made...
#13May 22nd, 2009 · 04:11 PM
89 posts
Canada
MAP is right of course, I have never seen a studio pic without the NS-10's lol, at least it seems that way.  That said, I have the KRK Rokit 8's personally.  I spent a whole crap load of time (as in about 6 months) debating and listening and going through home trials and such.  Simply, they are cheap, self powered, clear and flat.  They are no Adam 11's, and certainly no Genelecs, but for the cost, they are awesome.  I paid $300 a speaker for mine... which trumps the substantially more expensive HR 624's and such.
#14May 23rd, 2009 · 01:32 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I am hoping to get my hands on a used but still good set of Westlake BBSM 6's - 12's  monitors.. if possible. 

I am having a hard time finding any used ones though that I can afford though.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 6:50 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.