#1January 14th, 2009 · 03:23 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Grace Design m101
As I delve deeper and deeper into the computer AI recording setups. I keep my eye open for things that might be beneficial knowledge to others.. Sometimes it is , most the time probably not..

I have been slowly upgrading my home studio, better computers, patchbays( yeah for these), mics, interfaces ect.  Not that this the most important part of the recording process, it's not the gear but the ear. Knowledge in recording techniques is way more important than tons of gear that you don't know how to use.

I like to keep my eyes open for little gems I have come across.  One most pro studios  know about is the mic akgc414 bxl  all around a great mic for the price,  a very good tube mic, the at 4060 ( I have used one but don't own one).   I am looking though for a very good tube mic (thinking of the AT4060 or the Mojave MA200).  I was using some different preamps and tried different ones here and there. Right now I have downsized (gotten rid of some excess gear)  I am just using a Focusrite preamp, but thinking of upgrading the preamp before I get the mic.  Looking around and asking questions (mainly bothering every one I know that might have knowledge of good pre's).  One name kept coming up again and again for a very reasonable price .. I haven't used it , I am gonna try it out though, that is the.........
Grace Design M101. pre.. gearslutz threads on it are pretty good. even though most of those guys use high end stuff.  It is supposed to rival  the Avalon preamp which is quite a bit more money. 

If anybody on here has heard or used one of these please post comments here or pm me.  After reading up on the signal chain, I think my preamp is the downfall , not letting my mics finer points shine through in the mix.  If you have any thoughts on this please respond.
Edit: I had someone make a suggestion to go with what is called an API  lunchbox buying the rack and then getting either a used, or new API 512C preamp, then building up from there, putting me more into the pro studio realm. 
 Ideas ...Thoughts?
#2January 14th, 2009 · 02:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I'm not so sure if it's going to improve the quality of your recordings that much, whats wrong with your focusrite, they are pretty good, I was recommended to get one for my budget.

Having said that if what your saying about The Grace Design preamp is true then it should be able to notice the difference. I was also advised to look at TL Audio, they come in all shapes and sizes, but maybe within your budget.

I'm not an expert, I would look at what your local studios use, try them out if you can.

I use a relatively cheap preamp called an  'ART GOLD TUBE PREAMP', it's the first one I've owned, but I'm very pleased with it.

It was a Successful Studio  producer who recommended me to get a preamp [as I said earlier he recommended either Focurite or TL Audio for my budget], if you can aford it go for the high end stuff.

Let us know what you decide, plus a sample recording would be nice

Cheers

Denis
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 6:52 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.