#1January 2nd, 2009 · 12:28 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Synth Sound Modules
I was thinking of getting a second-hand Roland Synth, and have come accross Roland Sound Modules.

I assume I could link  a Synth mudule to my current basic Yamaha PSR280 keyboard via midi and connect/record  via  audio/other on my workstation.

Can anyone help or advise, I'm clueless.

Cheers

Denis
#2January 2nd, 2009 · 09:11 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Correct *ding*
Midi connect out of mother board Denis.
Depending on budget you could also check out the roland sonic ‚ƒ‚…‚Œ‚Œ DDDDD basically a phantom@‚‰‚Ž@‚@‚‚‚‚˜@D‚r‚”‚‰‚Œ‚Œ‚•‚“‚…@‚‚™@‚Š‚–@‚W‚O@‚Œ‚‰‚–‚…@‚‚Ž‚„@‚@‚P‚O‚W‚O@‚‰‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚“‚”‚•‚„‚‰‚C‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚ƒ‚Œ‚‚“‚“‚‰‚ƒ@‚“‚‚•‚Ž‚„‚“@‚‚’‚…@‚”‚•‚’‚Ž‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚•‚@‚‰‚Ž@‚“‚‚†‚”‚—‚‚’‚…@‚‚‚ƒ‚“D‚g‚‚Ž‚…‚“‚”‚Œ‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚Š‚–@‚W‚O@‚‚‚’‚‚“‚“@‚“‚”‚‚‚@‚…‚Ž‚“‚…‚‚Œ‚…@‚‚‚”‚ƒ‚ˆ@‚‰‚“@‚‚‰‚Œ‚…‚“@‚‚‚…‚”‚”‚…‚’@‚”‚ˆ‚‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚‚‚’‚‚“‚“@‚“‚…‚ƒ‚”‚‰‚‚Ž@‚…‚–‚…‚Ž@‚‚•‚”@‚‚†@‚Œ‚‚‡‚‰‚ƒD‚‚”@‚Œ‚…‚‚“‚”@‚‰‚”‚“@‚‚•‚Ž‚ƒ‚ˆ‚™D‚“‚‚’‚’‚™@‚‚‚‚•‚”@‚”‚…‚˜‚”@‚‚@‚‰‚Ž@‚i‚‚‚‚Ž@‚‚Ž‚„@‚Ž‚‚–‚‰‚‡‚‚”‚‰‚Ž‚‚’‚”‚ˆ‚™@‚‡@‚‚•‚Œ‚”‚‰@‚„‚‚ˆ@‚‹‚…‚™@‚‚‚‚‚’‚„@‚‚Ž@‚@‚™‚‰‚‹‚…‚“@‚o‚bD‚a‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚—‚‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚‚Ž‚‹‚“@‚†‚‚’@‚‚‚“‚”‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚@‚’‚…‚‚Œ@‚‚•‚“‚‰‚ƒ@‚‘‚‘@‚‰‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚‚‰‚”@‚“‚…‚…‚‚“@‚Œ‚‰‚‹‚…@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚’‚…‚“‚”@‚‰‚“@‚‚Œ‚Œ@‚„‚…‚‚’@‚„‚‚’‚‰‚”‚ˆ‚™@‚†‚’‚‚@‚“‚…‚Œ‚†@‚‰‚Ž‚„‚•‚Œ‚‡‚‚Ž‚”@‚—‚‚ƒ‚‹@‚Š‚‚‚‚“D‚r‚‚’‚’‚™@‚‚•‚”@‚‚™@‚‚‚Œ‚‚ƒ‚‹@‚ˆ‚‚”@‚‚Ž@D
#3January 4th, 2009 · 04:43 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Correct *ding*
blakhatz wrote…
Depending on budget you could also check out the roland sonic ‚ƒ‚…‚Œ‚Œ DDDDD basically a phantom@‚‰‚Ž@‚@‚‚‚‚˜@D‚r‚”‚‰‚Œ‚Œ‚•‚“‚…@‚‚™@‚Š‚–@‚W‚O@‚Œ‚‰‚–‚…@‚‚Ž‚„@‚@‚P‚O‚W‚O@‚‰‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚“‚”‚•‚„‚‰‚C‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚ƒ‚Œ‚‚“‚“‚‰‚ƒ@‚“‚‚•‚Ž‚„‚“@‚‚’‚…@‚”‚•‚’‚Ž‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚•‚@‚‰‚Ž@‚“‚‚†‚”‚—‚‚’‚…@‚‚‚ƒ‚“D‚g‚‚Ž‚…‚“‚”‚Œ‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚Š‚–@‚W‚O@‚‚‚’‚‚“‚“@‚“‚”‚‚‚@‚…‚Ž‚“‚…‚‚Œ‚…@‚‚‚”‚ƒ‚ˆ@‚‰‚“@‚‚‰‚Œ‚…‚“@‚‚‚…‚”‚”‚…‚’@‚”‚ˆ‚‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚‚‚’‚‚“‚“@‚“‚…‚ƒ‚”‚‰‚‚Ž@‚…‚–‚…‚Ž@‚‚•‚”@‚‚†@‚Œ‚‚‡‚‰‚ƒD‚‚”@‚Œ‚…‚‚“‚”@‚‰‚”‚“@‚‚•‚Ž‚ƒ‚ˆ‚™D‚“‚‚’‚’‚™@‚‚‚‚•‚”@‚”‚…‚˜‚”@‚‚@‚‰‚Ž@‚i‚‚‚‚Ž@‚‚Ž‚„@‚Ž‚‚–‚‰‚‡‚‚”‚‰‚Ž‚‚’‚”‚ˆ‚™@‚‡@‚‚•‚Œ‚”‚‰@‚„‚‚ˆ@‚‹‚…‚™@‚‚‚‚‚’‚„@‚‚Ž@‚@‚™‚‰‚‹‚…‚“@‚o‚bD‚a‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚—‚‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚‚Ž‚‹‚“@‚†‚‚’@‚‚‚“‚”‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚@‚’‚…‚‚Œ@‚‚•‚“‚‰‚ƒ@‚‘‚‘@‚‰‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚‚‰‚”@‚“‚…‚…‚‚“@‚Œ‚‰‚‹‚…@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚’‚…‚“‚”@‚‰‚“@‚‚Œ‚Œ@‚„‚…‚‚’@‚„‚‚’‚‰‚”‚ˆ‚™@‚†‚’‚‚@‚“‚…‚Œ‚†@‚‰‚Ž‚„‚•‚Œ‚‡‚‚Ž‚”@‚—‚‚ƒ‚‹@‚Š‚‚‚‚“D‚r‚‚’‚’‚™@‚‚•‚”@‚‚™@‚‚‚Œ‚‚ƒ‚‹@‚ˆ‚‚”@‚‚Ž@D :D

Hey BlakHatz, I've cheched out Roland Sonic, seems a great bit of kit, I think I'm still tempted to purchase The Roland JV 1080, second-hand, it was apparently the most popuplar synth module of it's day, I can get one for approx £180.00 on ebay. There are various expansion cards you can add, they are quite rare, but I've seen a few advertised. The orchestrial card seems interesting, thats the main things I want it for, plus good Strings, Piano, Rhodes & some good pads. I love Roland sounds, since I'm into Jazz, Roland seem to be the masters.

Cheers

Denis
#4January 4th, 2009 · 09:05 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
re: Correct *ding*
blakhatz wrote…
Depending on budget you could also check out the roland sonic ‚ƒ‚…‚Œ‚Œ DDDDD basically a phantom@‚‰‚Ž@‚@‚‚‚‚˜@D‚r‚”‚‰‚Œ‚Œ‚•‚“‚…@‚‚™@‚Š‚–@‚W‚O@‚Œ‚‰‚–‚…@‚‚Ž‚„@‚@‚P‚O‚W‚O@‚‰‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚“‚”‚•‚„‚‰‚C‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚ƒ‚Œ‚‚“‚“‚‰‚ƒ@‚“‚‚•‚Ž‚„‚“@‚‚’‚…@‚”‚•‚’‚Ž‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚•‚@‚‰‚Ž@‚“‚‚†‚”‚—‚‚’‚…@‚‚‚ƒ‚“D‚g‚‚Ž‚…‚“‚”‚Œ‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚Š‚–@‚W‚O@‚‚‚’‚‚“‚“@‚“‚”‚‚‚@‚…‚Ž‚“‚…‚‚Œ‚…@‚‚‚”‚ƒ‚ˆ@‚‰‚“@‚‚‰‚Œ‚…‚“@‚‚‚…‚”‚”‚…‚’@‚”‚ˆ‚‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚‚‚’‚‚“‚“@‚“‚…‚ƒ‚”‚‰‚‚Ž@‚…‚–‚…‚Ž@‚‚•‚”@‚‚†@‚Œ‚‚‡‚‰‚ƒD‚‚”@‚Œ‚…‚‚“‚”@‚‰‚”‚“@‚‚•‚Ž‚ƒ‚ˆ‚™D‚“‚‚’‚’‚™@‚‚‚‚•‚”@‚”‚…‚˜‚”@‚‚@‚‰‚Ž@‚i‚‚‚‚Ž@‚‚Ž‚„@‚Ž‚‚–‚‰‚‡‚‚”‚‰‚Ž‚‚’‚”‚ˆ‚™@‚‡@‚‚•‚Œ‚”‚‰@‚„‚‚ˆ@‚‹‚…‚™@‚‚‚‚‚’‚„@‚‚Ž@‚@‚™‚‰‚‹‚…‚“@‚o‚bD‚a‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚—‚‚™@‚”‚ˆ‚‚Ž‚‹‚“@‚†‚‚’@‚‚‚“‚”‚‰‚Ž‚‡@‚@‚’‚…‚‚Œ@‚‚•‚“‚‰‚ƒ@‚‘‚‘@‚‰‚Ž@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚‚‰‚”@‚“‚…‚…‚‚“@‚Œ‚‰‚‹‚…@‚”‚ˆ‚…@‚’‚…‚“‚”@‚‰‚“@‚‚Œ‚Œ@‚„‚…‚‚’@‚„‚‚’‚‰‚”‚ˆ‚™@‚†‚’‚‚@‚“‚…‚Œ‚†@‚‰‚Ž‚„‚•‚Œ‚‡‚‚Ž‚”@‚—‚‚ƒ‚‹@‚Š‚‚‚‚“D‚r‚‚’‚’‚™@‚‚•‚”@‚‚™@‚‚‚Œ‚‚ƒ‚‹@‚ˆ‚‚”@‚‚Ž@D :D
whaaa??? Blakhatz, I left my Hieroglyph translator at the office! ( ;

Oh, and Denis, now that you mention it, I have been on the hunt for a sound module that has convincing Rhodes sounds....so is a Roland module a good one for Rhodes? (I want the traditional...un-effected Rhodes sounds...as natural as possible)
#5January 5th, 2009 · 09:44 AM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
sorry mate the japralian computer is doing my head in.
BC the rhodes patches out of the 1080 are quite useable several variations , sticky rhodes etc but propeller head reason , even the older 2.5 version has some great classic rhodes tremilo in addition to a wonderfully warm whirly.
Since Ive been using the rhodes and whirly  eps out of logic though I haven/t looked back , they are many and varied.till luv my rolands tho
#6January 5th, 2009 · 02:24 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Correct *ding*
battlecat wrote…
blakhatz wrote…
whaaa??? Blakhatz, I left my Hieroglyph translator at the office! ( ;

Oh, and Denis, now that you mention it, I have been on the hunt for a sound module that has convincing Rhodes sounds....so is a Roland module a good one for Rhodes? (I want the traditional...un-effected Rhodes sounds...as natural as possible)

There's a free VSTi download for Rhodes, I may have it somewhere [I'll take a look to see If I can find it, hence did a system restore recently]. My PC precessor is useless, no good for computer music, that's why I wanted to get the Roland JV1080, either that or I get a new PC, but then I'll need all the software etc, that's gonna cost a bit. Since I generally play with real instruments, I think I'll continue to go with theJV1080, I'm bidding on one at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken Rhodes was created by Roland, so you would have thought the Rhodes patches are good, in any event, the reviews I've seen say the Rhodes patches are good.
#7January 5th, 2009 · 02:37 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Free Rhodes VSTti
I've found a link to the Rhodes;

http://www.johnrofrano.com/vstinstruments.htm

Don't know if it's any good??

Cheers

Denis
#8January 5th, 2009 · 03:47 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Thanks to you both Denis and Blakhatz! I am looking for hardware, however, as I don't do any computer recording....I use a "standalone" recorder.
#9January 5th, 2009 · 04:49 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
this  is a decent sound module. but  I noticed on ebay that they also have a 2080 for sale too.. more bang for your buck.  the verbs and effects in the 2080 smoke the 1080 and the sounds on the xpansion boards are excellent.. either  one is pretty good though.. If I was buying another roland sound module I would have to go with the soniccell sound module probably like one o these...
http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900202009

I don't buy outboard mods anymore though.. I went ahead and upgraded the computer stuff to handle  the new vst's  everything is now in the box..  I just use a cheap casio wk1500 as the controller. the vst's produce all the tones.
#10January 6th, 2009 · 02:56 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
toastedgoat wrote…
this  is a decent sound module. but  I noticed on ebay that they also have a 2080 for sale too.. more bang for your buck.  the verbs and effects in the 2080 smoke the 1080 and the sounds on the xpansion boards are excellent.. either  one is pretty good though.. If I was buying another roland sound module I would have to go with the soniccell sound module probably like one o these...
http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900202009

I don't buy outboard mods anymore though.. I went ahead and upgraded the computer stuff to handle  the new vst's  everything is now in the box..  I just use a cheap casio wk1500 as the controller. the vst's produce all the tones.

The soniccell is out of my price range, it's about £400/$650. I'll check out the 2080. New PC is also out of my price range [No point in getting one that's cheap and not up for the job], hence my current PC's processor is crap, and you can't upgrade the processor to a dual core etc, I could get a secondhand one, but you just don't know what problems you are going to have.

Thanks for the info.
#11January 6th, 2009 · 02:56 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
battlecat wrote…
Thanks to you both Denis and Blakhatz! I am looking for hardware, however, as I don't do any computer recording....I use a "standalone" recorder.

Me too
#12January 6th, 2009 · 01:17 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I've found a site that reviewed the Roland JV-2080 and also had capability of letting me hear some of the patches. I find the Rhodes sounds are similar to the ones I have on my Ensoniq Keyboard (lots of effects...they have that 80's sound which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but I am looking for that 60's or 70's sound....Ray Charles, etc.). Although I still might be looking for a good 1080 or 2080, I am wondering if there are the classic Rhodes sounds (think opening lines of "What'd I say") ?
 By the way, in case you're interested here the site that reviewed the 2080: http://www.synthmania.com/jv-2080.htm  
Edit: Oh, by the way, I just checked out that link you provided, Denis...thanks! I found some  Rhodes sounds that are pretty close to what I'm looking for (especially the one called "Mr Ray". Now if I had some way to use that in my recording...or to find a hardware device that has those sounds, I'd be set!)
#13January 6th, 2009 · 05:17 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
for those that can use vst and might want vintage rhodes sounds
I found this site...
http://www.audiowarrior.com/KREATOR.STUDIO.RHODES.PLUGIN.html
#14January 6th, 2009 · 08:36 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Thanks, TG! I checked it out....
#15January 16th, 2009 · 01:50 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I ended up getting the Roland JV 1080, got a real bargain on ebay paid £92.00. The seller
lived 10 mins drive from me, what a blessing.

I hope to upload a new song soon so you can hear the quality, I'm very leased with it

Denis
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 12:39 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.