#1November 3rd, 2008 · 11:56 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Guitar Pedal Review #1
Hey, I thought I'd make a few guitar pedal reviews for things that people might be interested in buying, or were taking a look at but just werent sure if they should go with that pedal.
Ill be accepting PM's for any pedals that you would like me to go into detail and review.
I'll start out with one of my own today.
The MXR Phase 90.
MXR is a very respectable name for pedals, even if you havent heard of them. MXR makes quality analog signal pedals, that keep the tone of your guitar and amp, and they dont change it into something it wasnt meant to be. You can really get some good sounds with some minor tweaks with these pedals.
The Phase 90 is really something else. With only ONE knob, (The speed) you can get a whole world of tones. It took me a little while to get used to, but I hit a golden spot with just the right distortion, just the right amount of reverb, and man, it rocks.

You can use it to spice up your chords, and even your screeching solos. I totally recommend this to anyone and everyone. No matter what style you are there is some way you can use this. Its not too expensive either.
This phase doesn't have the billions of sounds that BOSS and DigiTech trys to cram into one pedal (Not saying that those arent cool sounds) but if you want something with good clarity tone, and something that will blast your sound, the Phase 90 is for you.

What does Phase do? What does it sound like? Well, Phase takes your guitar signal and (depending on what speed setting you have it on) the pedal shifts or phases your guitar UP and dooowwwnnn. It could be described as a watery warble. Its clarity and crispness you cant get anywhere else. If you can get a pretty good setting and use a little reverb and some distortion, your guitar will be smoking. Wanna hear what it sounds like? Go to these links:
http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=67491 (speed 2)
http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=67501 (speed 5)
http://www.music123.com/LMS/Viewer.aspx?vid=67511 (speed

(If you want something with the different types of phase  check out the Phase 100 by MXR)

More reviews coming soon, dont forget to PM me about any pedals youd like me to do.
#2November 3rd, 2008 · 08:11 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I had some (I might still have one or two around somewhere) MXR pedals, I had a phase 90 (was the big deal pedal for years), I also had the analog delay (one with 3 knobs) and the analog flanger. In the mid 80's I went to all rack mount midi controlled (Bob Bradshaw style) effects systems using stereo full stack amps and crap loads of stuff like yamaha rev 7.s verbs, ada digital delays, dbx 160 compressor (with midi to analog controller added)
Yamaha spx 90 processers, and a multitude of other stuff .. eq's ect.    I weaned myself off of that and went to just a randall with an old tube screamer and a boss digital delay pedal dd3 in the loop (I also finally got rid of the green pedal). . 

All my effects now are done with the tc electronics gmajor rig with a nice midi foot board.....................................................
accept for this weekend. I used the H&K matrix 100  with all the effects built into it with just the amps foot switch .
#3November 4th, 2008 · 03:15 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Wow!
Yeah the mid 80's sure was a big transition from lots of the music as we knew it.
#4November 4th, 2008 · 03:15 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I like some digital pedals but to tell you the truth only a few
#5November 4th, 2008 · 08:29 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I am not much on digital pedals either,  I do like the boss digital delay pedal though, Ibanez ts9(tube screamer) is a pretty good pedal,  I feel if your gonna use digital effects it's easier to go rack mount and get better quality less stuff to haul around . I really like the tc electronics g systems effects units, very clean, all the effects that you'd need, plus one midi pedal and you have 128 different possible settings/effects.  I  liked using my old pedals though,, they were kind of noisy if you started turning the gain up on em.
#6November 5th, 2008 · 10:22 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Yeah I noticed that on most digital pedals when you turn the gian up it starts getting really noisy and crackly and buzzing and stuff like that.

I can practically turn my MXR pedals up to 11 and for the most part its style crystal clear. Thats what I like about that.

Yeah I'll have to look into a midi pedal and things like that.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 4:35 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.