Macbook Pro w/ Garageband
Acoustic guitar w/ Dean Markley external pick-up
Squire Strat Electric guitar
Audio-Technica MB k1 microphone
M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface
Career MG10 guitar practice amp
Peavey KB1 vocal amp
Enough patch cables to choke a horse.

What hardware setup is going to give me the best result with the equipment I have on hand? I'm only recording vocal tracks and guitar tracks.
#2August 13th, 2008 · 09:58 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
all of this is usable and with the right hands could result in amazing music..  nothing wrong with garageband , so that is ok.

Electric guitars .. it is a lot easier to use something like line6 toneport with gear box or guitar rig /both if  you can get em .  Pretty good sounds (much easier than trying to mic a amp and get good sound). 

You can get very good vocal takes with a good dynamic mic. I have never used the one you have although I do have 2 AT condensers mics.   It will take some work though.  you will have to adjust your eq some and you may need to compress the signal a little. You will also have to work on distance to the mic to find the sweet spot.

I would stick with using the M-audio with garageband .  micing and using the pickup both for AC guitar, and for electric I would continue to mic your amp up, till you can get something like the tone port and guitar rig if you choose to go that way.. ( I just got the toneport silver package and got a free upgrade to gold...lots of amp models and effects, bass amp models and pre amp models for vox , I am loving it).

you need to read all you can about garagband if your not familiar with it. I have messed with it some and it has a lot of good audio editing features .. you just have to know how to work with it. 

You have all the things you need now to get decent recording .. just keep working with it till you get good at it.
#3August 13th, 2008 · 10:52 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Garage band is a great little program , the virtual amps 4 guitar and the mastering presets are very cool
#4August 15th, 2008 · 09:20 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
liked the mastering presets, was not overly thrilled about the virtual amps but they are usable.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 12:41 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.