#1March 13th, 2008 · 07:18 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Song delete
As far as I followed the "abusive member" discussion I thought about doing following programming:
If anyone deletes a song (member or mod) then there will be the amount of 9 posts subtracted. So he/she has to make new posts on other members area until the post counter is greater than song * 3.

Example #1:
2 songs and 6 posts
> 1 song deleted
1 song and -3 posts
now he/she must do min 9 posts to reach the (1oldsong+1new song) * 3 = 6 posts before a new song can be uploaded.

Example #2:
14 songs and 500 posts
> 2 songs deleted
12 songs and 482 posts
nothing happens because the count of posts is greater than (12old+1new)*3 = 39 (mininum)

The reason/idea why I want to subtract 9 posts is a kind of "punishing" this member by deleting his/her songs.
And this would be deterring some members of being such one-song-wonders we had on here in the past

Who agress? other suggestions?
#2March 13th, 2008 · 09:02 AM
77 threads / 59 songs
923 posts
Netherlands
wont we be having more posts like:

great

ppl should realise what a pleasure it is to get a serious comment and maybe even some usefull insights on a piece you worked on with all your heart

so, there is a pleasure giving them too:

'one comment a day, makes someone happier in a way'

yeah

#3March 13th, 2008 · 12:25 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: Song delete
TritonKeyboarder wrote…
As far as I followed the "abusive member" discussion I thought about doing following programming:
If anyone deletes a song (member or mod) then there will be the amount of 9 posts subtracted. So he/she has to make new posts on other members area until the post counter is greater than song * 3.

Example #1:
2 songs and 6 posts
> 1 song deleted
1 song and -3 posts
now he/she must do min 9 posts to reach the (1oldsong+1new song) * 3 = 6 posts before a new song can be uploaded.

Example #2:
14 songs and 500 posts
> 2 songs deleted
12 songs and 482 posts
nothing happens because the count of posts is greater than (12old+1new)*3 = 39 (mininum)

The reason/idea why I want to subtract 9 posts is a kind of "punishing" this member by deleting his/her songs.
And this would be deterring some members of being such one-song-wonders we had on here in the past

Who agress? other suggestions?

I personally think the system is OK at the moment, members should have the right to delete their songs.

We need to encourage people to make comments and upload more songs, reward them perhaps.....
The hall of fame is a great idea, it's a goal for everyone of us to achieve including me, so it would be nice to have your name bloged on the front page for everytime one of us acheives this.

If more members made donations, we can have rewards for different things including the amount of threads and posts.

Denis
#4March 13th, 2008 · 12:39 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
MaxdB wrote…
wont we be having more posts like:

great

ppl should realise what a pleasure it is to get a serious comment and maybe even some usefull insights on a piece you worked on with all your heart

so, there is a pleasure giving them too:

'one comment a day, makes someone happier in a way'

yeah
 8)

Oooohhh, 'One comment a day, makes someone happier in a way'. could this be the next bandAMP collab?????? Not seen many colabs recently, come on bandAmpers!!!!

oh I forgot 'YEAH'

Splendid

Denis
#5March 17th, 2008 · 12:12 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
triton, I think that's a great idea.  As referring to what Denis said, I don't think that making the changes Triton proposes would hurt anybody that uses bandamp like they should.  For all of the regular members who upload their music and comment on others' music, they effectively go unaffected by the change.  The change only discourages mass-song-deletion by those who expect to upload upload upload and never comment on others' material.

Short answer:  I think it's a good idea, Triton.  No reason not to make such a change, in my opinion.

Maybe at the top / bottom of the "My Music" page, there could be a short explination of the system?

example:  (not a direct quote suggestion, mind you)  "There's a 3:1 comment:upload ratio.  Even the number of old deleted songs will total into the number of comments you must make to satisfy this ratio."  blah blah.  (We don't want to make it too long! )
#6March 17th, 2008 · 03:19 PM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
I think we have some bigger issues then to worry about song deleting.. but I do agree that Doppler is abusing the system.. I wasn't aware that he was doing this...I for one feel that if I have a song on here its up to me to do what I please with it..I appreciate the comments...but some songs need to get ditched at one time or another....why don't we get on the subject of the battles...that for the past 3-4 months..not one song has qualified with the appropriate amount of votes that it takes...and , by the way..just what the hell is the right amount ?  is it 15 ?  or is it 20 ?....I was under the assumption that it was reduced from 20 to 15 some time ago.....anyways..its really sad that we have no decent battle system for artist...also...what about our donations...and so on...just some things to think about...and  why aren't there any darn collabs going on here...at least  a few here and there once in a while is awesome and very good for the community I think....seems like we have gotten away from that some what also....Good Point Denis!!!!!....Hmmm lets see what else can I say....Ummm we all have ideas and I know we all have a life to live with things to do....But I think JimK has been doing a good job with this donation thing...I think he could use a lot of help also...I'm willing to do what I can to help out in any capacity I can handle if asked..

Flyer
#7March 18th, 2008 · 12:06 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i agree that there are plenty of other things that could use the programmer(s)' attention, though these little nitty gritty things are easily cleared up.  It's just a matter of a line or two of changes in the code.  It takes no time, effectively, so it's easy to fix.  If such little things took forever to implament / change, then of course they wouldn't take higher priority than the other things you've mentioned, flyer, like the battles and such

a new collab would be nice...I'm only just now figuring out how to use a new setup for recording... that and I'm rather preoccupied with planning a marriage :P  I'd love to do some sort of project with someone again!  In a couple of weeks I'll probably be back into recording for real.  school should die.  it's like a full time job that follows you home, and plagues you with stress all the time!
#8March 19th, 2008 · 02:33 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
You know, always when people start a thread about A Really Good Idea there's ALWAYS people who start yapping about totally different issues, diverting the attention from the original plans.

I think - (actually I suggested it in the Abuse section) - that this idea is essentially good, however I wouldn't want to actually see a drop in number of posts when I remove a song. In the given example a member could end up with a MINUS amount of posts and that just looks plain silly. Also, how would this make the posts of a certain member browsable by clicking it's posts-link?

I certainly agree with the mechanism. If it's programming-wise an easy-fix to manage upload privileges by distracting from the number of posts, then sure go ahead, but I would prefer keeping the number of posts on-screen and on one's profile page intact... That's all I have to say about it
#9March 19th, 2008 · 11:07 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
a valid point.  the forum php could level a negative post value to zero while displaying, but that wouldn't really help on the posts-link, like you've brought up.  I suppose that one way around it is to start another stat... like... a posting 'score', which reflects the penalized values (potentially negative).  Problem is... it would only really be relevant to those members who cause the issue, while the other 90%+ of us don't need to ever worry about it.
#10March 19th, 2008 · 11:59 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Tk Thx for owning this...i agree with PX one issue a time is a good thing...this sounds a simple enough issue to fix so I'm all for it on starting here....I believe simple is good with this issue..
I don't think one should be penalized for deleting, Ive had a few instances where deleting my songs has avoided serious confrontations with other members(separate issue).So I think it should suffice with just fixing the 3 for 1 rule...If you delete shouldn't affect the reviewing system...If that is the issue well then that's where the repair should be focus on.Spending the energy fixing and adding other things more intricate should be the ones really taking the effort ....This doesn't need and add on all it needs is for it to work properly...Keep it simple!!!

Example
Audio and lyric review(only) 3 =I song upload
Delete a song= no change it still remains 3 songs for 1 upload
You gain no credit back....

Snapshot
If you have 10 songs in your page you should have 30 reviewing credits in addition to any other comments posted in other forums...So your post area should read 30 or more post.....

If you delete the 10 songs and post 10 new ones then your post area should read 60(Credit reviews) + comments posted....

This is really hard to manage in large #'s so we have to rely on the reviewing system to work as it should and for it to be simple to maintain easy enough for us to understand the rules...

So if basically if you want to upload review 3 songs...Doesn't matter if you have posted comments 100 times or if you have reviewed ,uploaded,deleted and regain those credits to reuse...That would be the abuse part and the reason this whole thing is being addressed!!!And that TK is really the issue I see....
Anyway Tx again....
#11March 21st, 2008 · 08:46 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
FLYER7747 wrote…
let me know when you two run for office

haha haha...

So, I was just thinking about this, and like Marino said, a simple solution is best...

One fact about the 9-penalty is that a person could really have only -6 or -3 posts after penalty (or a larger negative number -6 less than X less than 0 ).  This could easily be tracked by a simple flag variable.  The post display on the forum could remain unchanged, while the calculations in the background take place....

Effectively, the posts that a person has actually and literally made can be seen as credits or tokens, allowing them to post their music.  Uploading a song doesn't actually expend them (thus decreasing the count), but they could easily be subtracted off of some unseen variable according to the number of songs uploaded.  If a user deletes his song, then the posts that were required of him for said song ought not count towards any future uploads.

In short, rather than ever actually modifying the post number, a variable could be added to simply remember how many songs have been deleted by a member so that all ( currently uploaded songs + all deleted songs ) * 3 >= the total number of posts required before you can upload again.

this seems simplest to me... the stat wouldn't be viewable by people on the forum.  it's just in the code.  post values are never altered.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: May 8th, 2024 · 4:34 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.