1 2

#1January 25th, 2007 · 06:35 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
The BandAMP Myspace
There have been a few threads around discussing the idea of bringing a bit of publicity to bandamp, to help the growth of the site. One idea that came up was a bandamp myspace page. So, Oldies324 took the time to create an account. It's fairly basic at the moment, and I have no idea how myspace works, so, I was thinking this tread could be used to pitch ideas and suggestions to post on the myspace account, and whoever ends up controlling the account, whether it be myself, oldies, or one of the more experienced bandampers, can take your ideas and use them to promote the site. Anyways, the thread is here, feel free to have your say, and we'll see a bit later what will happen with the account.

Cheers!

WB

(Would this sort of thing belong in the announcements forum?)
#2January 25th, 2007 · 06:51 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Ok so what's the myspace address? it's clearly not myspace.com/bandamp because that one belongs to a band called Amp 

Also I really really think having a bandamp myspace should go through mud first to make it "official", since bandamp is his pet project - maybe he doesn't want to have any affiliation with myspace at all... I have no idea ofcourse, but basically with the myspace account you are representing the whole site, and I can think of a few arguments why this may not be such a good idea. on the other hand, it's only myspace, so it's hard to screw up anything there it being so full of complete idiots.
#3January 25th, 2007 · 12:08 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
I am not so sure it is a good thing to go about opening the doors so wide. One of the best things about Bandamp is it's sense of community. This is dependent on our ability to monitor and eliminate undesirable elements. There's an awful lot of dreck out there, particularly on "Myspace". Let's be careful about promotions and such; furthermore, let's make sure these kinds of ideas gets discussed with the necessary people first.
#4January 25th, 2007 · 01:10 PM
14 threads / 9 songs
90 posts
United States of America
Just an idea, but if you don't want to make a full myspace for bandamp, you can just redirect the myspace account to bandamp, so when people click on the myspace page, it takes them here. Myspace is full of holes in their security, therefore you are able to do that easily. Just a thought
#5January 25th, 2007 · 01:21 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
BackwardsHat wrote…
Myspace is full of holes in their security, therefore you are able to do that easily. Just a thought :)

Aye, but won't that make the bandamp server prone to hacking- and virus attacks
#6January 25th, 2007 · 02:48 PM
31 threads / 19 songs
612 posts
Canada
Leave the Amp alone
Theres this saying........IF IT'S NOT BROKEN WHY FIX IT? enough said...
#7January 25th, 2007 · 05:03 PM
14 threads / 9 songs
90 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno wrote…
BackwardsHat wrote…
Myspace is full of holes in their security, therefore you are able to do that easily. Just a thought :)

Aye, but won't that make the bandamp server prone to hacking- and virus attacks :o

No, unless there's holes in this server already, but it wouldn't be affected by it. I guess I phrased it a little differently, what I mean by that is it just takes the registered myspace domain, makes people come here instead, and the reason that's possible is because myspace has things you can code html into, and little to no blocks on what you enter into html. Most sites like that do have blocks to prevent people from redirecting others to malicious content, which is why it's known as being bad for their security.
#8January 25th, 2007 · 05:12 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
imho this decision for mud only
This to me could be bad and good. Probably some of both; more people to this site, but with that comes the bad stuff too. more hackers/ spammers.  To me this is a decision for the web developer.
#9January 25th, 2007 · 05:57 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
Myspace, and upsizing
I am double posting this one... here, and in the thread about the myspace page...

I have to say again, That where I think it would be nice to grow this community, I think we need Mud to get more involved in this, this is his site, I mean, I tell people I meet who are into music, and recording, about the site.. But I am not about to start slapping stickers with Bandamp on it around town.. simply because:

1. It's not my site, and I don't have the authority to do so.

2. I don't think we want to get it so big it's hard to control and enjoy.

3. We need to get with Mud to lay out some definite answers to what genres are allowed and not allowed.

And we need to get with him to lay out more specific rules on language(foul, not nationality) Things like this...

I mean, we are a friendly and wonderful community, of friends... We are like a family.. We don't always get along, or agree with each other, but we stick by each other, and even collaborate on tunes together.. it's wonderful..  And I really want to make sure we don't lose that...  I think that we could end up with this site overrun with MC Screwdriver, and G-honey with crappy generic rythms and rappin about shootin' m' ho.. We don't want that...  And if we get hooked up on Myspace, without having guidelines laid out and specifics, we are opening the site up for that...  We already get that every now and then, think of what Myspace could bring..  EEEeeek!

So, until we get Mud's words, I think Upsizing is best left as an idea...
#10January 25th, 2007 · 08:30 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Yes I agree here about going through mud with this. Also, I think this site needs a bit of growth, because the battle prizes don't fund themselves.

The points you made, Jimk, especially in that last paragraph, is what I love about bandamp. That's why I'd like to discuss the topic of the bandamp myspace, instead of going on there posting about the site. Also, I think that if we clearly state what we're about and what we don't want in the site, then there's chances that we will find some people that can join that will have a positive input on the site.

"I tell people I meet who are into music, and recording, about the site.. But I am not about to start slapping stickers with Bandamp on it around town."
I know what you're saying here, and I agree that we should be careful how we advertise, but I'm not saying we're just going to go, hey, here's a cool site called bandamp, sign up and do whatever you like... I think if we do end up using this, it'll be controlled by either mud, as it is his site, or someone who cares about this site, like jim here, with the consent of mud.

So, I do want to be cautious about what we do on there, but I do think a bit of controlled promotion wouldn't hurt.
#11January 25th, 2007 · 08:38 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
well..
Yeah...  I agree some more people would be great...  I am all for it....  As for the prizes, well, until the battles get fixed, prizes are non-existent right now anyway...  And this site is free, and non-profit...  The prizes are funded by a foundation blah blah blah something I have no real idea exactly of how and why... but that's the story...

Anyway....

HEY MUD!?!?!?!  WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!?!

JimK
#12January 25th, 2007 · 08:48 PM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
Well, while just looking around the site, soaking up the previous goings on, I was under the assumption that the prizes were paid for by mud, so, am I wrong about that? Also, in the 'upsizing' thread there was talk that with the go ahead to upsize bandamp, there should be the ability to make some profit, through online music stores etc.

And there has been a few people asking "what is the name of the myspace page?" I don't know much about myspace, Oldies created it, but I think the link is this right here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=152059783
I may be wrong, so, tell me if it's not right...

Anyways, I don't want this site to go to wreck and ruin because of it, so, I think we now just wait for mud...

WB
#13January 25th, 2007 · 10:38 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Listen...one more time: Bandamp is unique because of its obscurity. This obscurity has the effect of ensuring that more serious musicians will find us. There's a load of posers out there who have little commitment to growth...they are reeking of narcissism and they tend to provide a destructive element to what we have here;  (in fact we have come together as a community several times within the past year to negatively reinforce some undesirable behavior from "cruisers and trollers" on the site as well.). I mean no disrespect but I think it is a bit presumptive for new-comers to take it upon themselves to decide the site needs growth, then set about the task of promoting it. Spend some time getting to know the site first. Alternatively.....there are PLENTY of sites out there that are "blockbusters" (Garageband.com, among others) if that's what you want (personally I find them to be completely impersonal with no sense of community. Furthermore, it is impossible to establish friendships as we have here on those aforementioned sites). Please chill, hang on, and spend some time getting to know the site first. (again, it's not all about battles and prizes).
#14January 26th, 2007 · 12:16 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
battlecat wrote…
Listen...one more time: Bandamp is unique because of its obscurity. This obscurity has the effect of ensuring that more serious musicians will find us. There's a load of posers out there who have little commitment to growth...they are reeking of narcissism and they tend to provide a destructive element to what we have here;  (in fact we have come together as a community several times within the past year to negatively reinforce some undesirable behavior from "cruisers and trollers" on the site as well.). I mean no disrespect but I think it is a bit presumptive for new-comers to take it upon themselves to decide the site needs growth, then set about the task of promoting it. Spend some time getting to know the site first. Alternatively.....there are PLENTY of sites out there that are "blockbusters" (Garageband.com, among others) if that's what you want (personally I find them to be completely impersonal with no sense of community. Furthermore, it is impossible to establish friendships as we have here on those aforementioned sites). Please chill, hang on, and spend some time getting to know the site first. (again, it's not all about battles and prizes).

Ok, maybe I'll try and explain a bit better...
I don't want to take the personality and the uniqueness from the site, that's the part that makes it so good. As for bringing 'posers' into bandamp, if we treat the myspace account right, that shouldn't happen, and the few who do will probably get the picture they're not wanted and won't bother sticking round.
As for 'new-comers to take it upon themselves to decide the site needs growth', this came about on another thread discussing the growth of the site, by more experienced members, with suggestions that this site could use a bit of growth. So, you see I pitched the idea of myspace there, which was taken up by oldies, so it was a suggestion that was made by people who do care about the site, and, when this myspace account came into being, I didn't have in mind the aim to recruit a bunch of dunces to make crap music, I wanted  to catch the attention of other musicians that may be short on experience, and need something like bandamp to learn how to grow as musicians, and maybe people who have that experience, and know stuff that some of us don't, to bring another level to the site, and to continue to grow as a community of musicians and friends.
Furthermore, I have spent a fair amount of time since I joined, looking around the site and getting a sense of community, so I consider the community a thing to protect with something like this, so that's why it needs careful planning and consent.
And the big music sites out there, maybe someone will see bandamp and think that bandamp has something that the others don't, and that's what brings us here, there's probably heaps of people who don't know about this site, but it's exactly what they're looking for.
And I know that what makes this site unique is not the battles or prizes, but the comments and advice, I haven't been around long enough to see the battles in full swing, but if the prizes are being paid for, then I'll have to agree, maybe this isn't necessary, but I'm not the only one who wants this site to progress and grow, let's just leave this now until mud has his say, after all, nothing has happened to the page since it was registered...
#15January 26th, 2007 · 01:59 AM
97 threads / 43 songs
500 posts
Australia
re: Leave the Amp alone
BasketCase wrote…
Theres this saying........IF IT'S NOT BROKEN WHY FIX IT? enough said... :scream:

I've been thinking...
Maybe all you guys are right and I just made a 'spur of the moment' decision that wasn't right at all. I'm all for the betterment of the site, and if that means keeping myspace out of it, for fear of hooligans, then so be it.

Well... the account is there, dunno what'll happen to it...   No interest in it myself personally...

Long Live BandAMP!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 3:31 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.