#1November 19th, 2006 · 06:00 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Access and voting
Hi I'm Kings, I've been here now about three weeks, surfing around, seeing the sites so to say.

I wanted to post some ideas and ask some questions, before doing so I came across these posts : http://forum.bandamp.com/Feedback/13965.html and http://forum.bandamp.com/Announcements/37895.html which have some relevance to what I was thinking, so knowing those two threads will help you understand what I'm on about a bit better.

Basically I'm missing a few thing , they may be there or there are other ways of doing it, but I don't yet know.

When it comes to navigation, it should be intuitive to each persons needs, I personally haven't followed any battles yet, I'm still navigating as a person who is looking for feedback and who can follow ones own comments, and will be for a while I think.

I'd like to see the names of the 'artist' I voted for in my 'your votes' page and I'd like to see a 'number of comments' tab on nearly every page and/or a 'has been commented upon since your last visit' icon/symbol.

I take it that the little star is meant for the mediators to follow the latest postings?
I'm a visitor/user so I'm interested in what I do.

I also miss a 'my lyrics page' tab in my 'my home' menu.

This site is about giving comments, staring discussions, sharing views, having arguments? So what I'm trying to say is that it should be easier to follow ones own comments and discussions from ones own 'my home'.

For instance someone else is commenting on a whole different lot of songs than you are, they have totally different friends and tastes, you go off and review or whatever, come back to the Audio Review list and have to search further and further for the ones that you are following because they've been pushed further and further down the list. I do realize that this is what it's all about, I just feel that, as important as the main audio review page is I would also like the choice to navigate the site in a way that is relevant to me, the pages I've commented on and alike.

I even thought of suggesting an incentive to get people to vote, like :
 "Always leave creative comments and suggestions, it's all about what you think and feel about that song. Every time you cast your vote and leave your comment the artist you vote for is automatically added to your personal list of discussions, bounce your ideas around with your friends, get some good sound advice, go off and think about it and then come back for more, go on, get deep into a subject and let it Rock and Roll"

But then I realised you already do that.

But I didn't see it, why? because the page is poo, it's not inviting or important enough.

I cant see 'who' I voted for, when, how many comments there are, are there any new comments to that song/thread ........ but I've been through this before.

As to the kind of people who join in and how they join in, I'd say that it's about presentation, how and what you say to your public as they enter.
I could get all nitty gritty and say that the main page should be less 'bloglike', as in take away some information to emphasize other things and be more specific in what the site is about, like "Come join the team! upload your latest masterpiece, dazzle us with your fruity loops, leave and receive good sound comments etc etc..... A site for all the family to get involved in music, regulated by our vigilant and experienced mediators etc....", leaving the latest news and views in a menu close at hand.
As in defining only the site and its goals on entry so there's no question as to the nature of the site.

It could be that I'm just into 'entries'

A! my chance to spam;
I'm into presentation in my own way, if you follow this www.kingsonone.com through you'll see what I mean. Whether you like it or not, I'm sure you'll appreciate the idea behind it.

So these are my views woven into ideas and feedback, from those around me I'd like some ideas and feedback, from those above I'd like some feedback at least,     there is no one below me  

Cheers

Kings
#2November 19th, 2006 · 09:35 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
I agree, to a degree
Sorry, had to rhyme....     

Anyway, I think it would be nice if there was at the very least a button for "Subscribe to this thread" on every thread..  that way, you would get notification for a new comment on EVERY thread you subscribe to...  and it would make sense... sometimes we get a blank notification, which is because someone quoted us in a post, but we did not put anything in the subject field of our comment... so we don't know what it was that we got notified of..

I have since tried to put something in the subject field EVERY time... but I still forget to sometimes..

And I also agree with this:

kings wrote…
As to the kind of people who join in and how they join in, I'd say that it's about presentation, how and what you say to your public as they enter.
I could get all nitty gritty and say that the main page should be less 'bloglike', as in take away some information to emphasize other things and be more specific in what the site is about, like "Come join the team! upload your latest masterpiece, dazzle us with your fruity loops, leave and receive good sound comments etc etc..... A site for all the family to get involved in music, regulated by our vigilant and experienced mediators etc....", leaving the latest news and views in a menu close at hand.
As in defining only the site and its goals on entry so there's no question as to the nature of the site.

It would be nice if we could get RIGHT on the Homepage THIS IS BANDAMP AND WHAT IT MEANS...  most definitely.. I think it would answer alot of misconceptions people have about what Bandamp really is about...  and help bring more people who may feel intimidated by the posts about what is or is not real music, and quality issues, and such...  It was a bit of a leap for me to join when I did, because I felt my stuff was so subpar... but everyone here was so warm and welcoming, well almost everyone...  there were a few who were rude, and condescending...  but they warmed up later...
#3November 20th, 2006 · 01:39 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
I read this thread really late last night, and I agree about the Thread Subscription. That sounds like a great idea. To have it accessible via a tab on one's own music page would turn it more into a personally configurable online e-zine. Also these subscriptions should be public I think, which means, if I'd go to, for example, king's page, I would be able to find and surf HIS subscriptions.

One's member page shouldn't become too crowded with stuff though... We may definately need a QuickStart guide, explaining the UI of BandAMP, it seems a lot of people still have trouble finding how to rate a song, or how to upload a picture it's not that hard, but if you have little experience working with computers, let alone surfing forums, then it might be slightly difficult.
#4November 20th, 2006 · 08:42 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I wrote it late last night!!!!!!

Thank you for reading and commenting, though I do think you're just commenting to each other as mediators.

No offense meant, but you use the site in a different way, you want to follow all the latest posts etc, I don't, I'd like to follow why I'm here, the comments and discussions.

If a Thread Subscription button is what it takes to make the site more intuitive, interactive and involving then that's the one for me.

Please anything!

I don't agree that an extra 'my lyrics' tab would clutter up my home space, neither do I agree that an extra column with 'number of comments' would make the pages untidy.

It would take a hell of lot of stuff to mess up bandAmp, that its magic, it's simple and not hectic.

Cheers Jim for commenting on the Entree thing, I'd followed a couple of threads where the subject reared its ugly head and it just wound me up.

BTW, JimK the more rhyming the better, it means that it makes sense.
#5November 20th, 2006 · 09:27 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
kings wrote…
I wrote it late last night!!!!!!

Thank you for reading and commenting, though I do think you're just commenting to each other as mediators.

Not really, just trying to think along, figuring out plans. if mud - the webmaster / coder of the site reads this thread, it would be helpful to him if he saw the ideas crystallized out a bit already. That way it's easier for him to determine whether to do something with the suggestions or not.

kings wrote…
I don't agree that an extra 'my lyrics' tab would clutter up my home space, neither do I agree that an extra column with 'number of comments' would make the pages untidy.

It would take a hell of lot of stuff to mess up bandAmp, that its magic, it's simple and not hectic.

I agree, and extra tab won't hurt indeed. I was just brainstorming at that moment and came up with a lot of very complicated ideas... So it was more a comment to myself
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 10:25 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.