#1May 22nd, 2011 · 11:23 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Personal Music Page choices
Now I'm not too sure if it's worth putting up any ideas for the site as it is now seeing as TLS is working on an update ......... 

But I will anyway because you never know ! Maybe we can patch this one and keep it rolling or they are ideas that can go into the new site ....

The 'cover' drop-down menu could have a few more options with a special function to all of them : The 'cover' choice would open a "cover related text div" eg "Who originally sung it, who holds the copyright etc", then a 'collab' choice would open a different set of text boxes "Collab with, your role / instrument etc" you could also have a "Genre" choice that opens a one line box to add your own short genre description.

I'd like to see an "Add to Music Album" choice to the 'Actions' column but this means there has to be an Albums Function operating within the site .....
#2May 22nd, 2011 · 12:53 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
re: Personal Music Page choices
kings wrote…
The 'cover' drop-down menu could have a few more options with a special function to all of them : The 'cover' choice would open a "cover related text div" eg "Who originally sung it, who holds the copyright etc", then a 'collab' choice would open a different set of text boxes "Collab with, your role / instrument etc" you could also have a "Genre" choice that opens a one line box to add your own short genre description.

I'd like to see an "Add to Music Album" choice to the 'Actions' column but this means there has to be an Albums Function operating within the site .....

Yip, some interesting ideas, kings.
I always wondered about the "genre"-function on bandamp when I did my uploads. I never could choose the genre of my tracks. Amazingly they all landed in "fusion". Which is correct for my ´overall`genre but not for single tracks. I wondered how the ´machine´ can allocate my songs.

There´s another tool I don´t know if it works correctly : "Search"-function works strange imo.
Example : When I write my artist name or a title´s name only another empty field appears, but neither my artist-site nor a title is diplayed. Nothing.   Mmmmh !?!? Strange.
But when I write f.e. "marino" into the field the machine leads me to his site .   Mmmmh! More strange.
Would like to see this function working better.
U . L . I .
#3May 22nd, 2011 · 01:33 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
re: re: Personal Music Page choices
ULI wrote…
kings wrote…

Yip, some interesting ideas, kings. Inspired by ´jamendo´??  
I always wondered about the "genre"-function on bandamp when I did my uploads. I never could choose the genre of my tracks. Amazingly they all landed in "fusion". Which is correct for my ´overall`genre but not for single tracks. I wondered how the ´machine´ can allocate my songs.

There´s another tool I don´t know if it works correctly : "Search"-function works strange imo.
Example : When I write my artist name or a title´s name only another empty field appears, but neither my artist-site nor a title is diplayed. Nothing.   Mmmmh !?!? Strange.
But when I write f.e. "marino" into the field the machine leads me to his site .   Mmmmh! More strange.
Would like to see this function working better.
U . L . I .

It's not THE answer to bandAMPs search page problems but you can use this page : search bandAMP with Google

#4May 22nd, 2011 · 01:43 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
wow
Everything I´ve ever written on bandamp I could find there.............spooky....
Where is this link to find on bandamp ?  I´ve never seen it before.
#5May 22nd, 2011 · 04:52 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
You define the genre in the properties of your mp3 file. In most programs you can set a default genre when you create an mp3.

The bandamp's site search sadly is reduced to a few text boxes. But we have Goolge which makes it.
#6May 23rd, 2011 · 09:22 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
One of the issues with the mp3 "ID" tags is that IDv2 only supported an explicit list of genre names, so failing to pick one, all songs defaulted to the first option in the alphabetized list: "Blues"   ID2 tags aren't common anymore, but there's still a problem for when people don't enter anything at all.  There would just have to be a big melting pot entry for unspecified genres.

At any rate, reading the genres from the mp3 file can be done, but it takes just enough effort that most people don't support it.

The albums function would be great-- effectively a folder or tag-like system for organizing your own music.  People with more than 20 uploads have a really unwieldy Music page!
#7May 24th, 2011 · 03:04 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Using / reading tags from the MP3 it's self sounds like the best solution ... if they have filled in loads of tags they could also be displayed.
But if that is the case it should be clearly explained to members that they will have to fill in the MP3 tags BEFORE they upload a song.

Though I dont mind a page full of songs I do think it would be excellent to have an Album page of ones own stuff BUT I would also like to see some kind of layered link system so members can compile their own albums from their favourite bandAMP songs,
Think of ;
My favourite D&B songs,  Late night easy listening songs, Good guitar noodles for ideas Album, My Punk Album, Piano pieces, My speed metal Album Vol 4 etc etc etc ...
Members could make/upload their own cover picture and write a short description.

And like every other page of music on bandAmp, an Album could be played in the (a) player, downloaded as an M3U or each song visited individually.
#8May 24th, 2011 · 03:51 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Sounds a little bit like an extension of the playlist concept that we've got in place, yeah?  Minus the forced use of a frameset in the page layout, plus the ability to have multiple playlists instead of just one.

For the tags it would probably make good sense to read the MP3 tags in order to populate defaults, but then allow the user to confirm them and make any modifications.  That would facilitate people who want to adjust the genre after the upload is already completed.
#9May 24th, 2011 · 05:02 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
TonightsLastSong wrote…
Sounds a little bit like an extension of the playlist concept that we've got in place, yeah?  Minus the forced use of a frameset in the page layout, plus the ability to have multiple playlists instead of just one.

For the tags it would probably make good sense to read the MP3 tags in order to populate defaults, but then allow the user to confirm them and make any modifications.  That would facilitate people who want to adjust the genre after the upload is already completed.
Yes very much like a multiple playlist.
But restricted to 12 songs to keep it an Album, with Album art, description etc
Multiple playlists is also a very good idea

I'm not really bothered about the page opening in a frameset or not, just as long as it opens and looks like a bandAMP Album page. 

Could you get a new site to edit MP3 tags ? Seems like the easiest solution. Members could from their Home/Preferences pages edit their songs tags at any time.
#10May 24th, 2011 · 05:40 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
kings wrote…
Could you get a new site to edit MP3 tags ? Seems like the easiest solution. Members could from their Home/Preferences pages edit their songs tags at any time.

Do you mean to edit the literal tags that are embedded in the mp3, or just to modify the site's categorization of them?

Either way I suppose it would be valuable to modify the embedded tag data, so that if somebody downloads the mp3 file, the tags are current.

The frameset is okay if that's what you want, but in HTML5, it's been entirely removed from the spec, for how abused it is (hiding the page URL, etc).  A frameset is an alright option, but it would be nice if it could at least work in its own page, too.
#11May 29th, 2011 · 06:54 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
mp3 tags again
1. I think the best solution is first to read out the mp3 genre tag. That's what the author defines. This would be the first predefined category of a list of genres of this track. In the upload section the author should be able to modify this entry
2 .The site should be able to create a list of genres by
   a) choosing from a list of deafult genres
   b) entering free text
All tags should be free to be moderated by special users, who are called "Moderator" and by the author himself of course.
I've seen this on several .sites in www. If we are doing like that a user can create its own "radio" by searching for a special tag then
Example:
Search for *blue* lists all tracks containing the word 'jazz' (Rhythm&Blues, Blues, Blue Monday, etc.)

Hope you understand what I mean. Just an idea....
#12May 29th, 2011 · 04:25 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
..... The 'rating' tag could be written by the site.
I dont know if the rating system in place now would be good enough but the idea would be that the best rated songs find their way to the top of the 'radio playlist' hopefully ensuring that the best tracks get played first.
So the reason for rating songs comes full circle .... keep on voting
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 1:11 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.