#1June 30th, 2005 · 06:00 PM
15 threads / 11 songs
147 posts
United States of America
Different Categories
Now that band amp has grown so much, Who thinks that songs should be in seperate categories. Such as the following....
Easy listening- Those really mellow wanna hug your girl songs
Blues/Jazz- Not much jazz here but I think it can flow with the blues
Rock/Metal- For the metal heads out there, and every other "rock"
Acoustic- For the people who bring the quieter side to bandamp(any style)
Instrumental- For the virtuoso people here
Other- self explanatory

If anyone has better ideas please say them. I may have excluded some categories but I think 5 or 6 would be sufficiant. This way it will seperate the songs better. Then a very good acoustic song with one person singing wouldnt compete against a full band that has great recordings.

Thoughts? If we can get enough people to warrant this I will run it by Mud.
#2June 30th, 2005 · 08:02 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
I was thinking about importing the categories from musicmoz...

http://musicmoz.org/Styles/

————

I was thinking we allow each song the ability to be listed in 3 categories... We'd use all the musicmoz styles... This would be used more for the browse feature though.

I think within forum.bandamp.com/Audio_Review/ we could have JUST the base categories from musicmoz (none of the sub-categories, or that'd be too large a list..)

Not sure really how to go about this exactly, however...
#3June 30th, 2005 · 08:34 PM
15 threads / 11 songs
147 posts
United States of America
That would work, but I think it would also be very benefitial for the battle. Just have it so that they can select the category they want for there song. We see if it is what it is and send it on its way. Ofcourse if we do this we might have a little problem with money and all. We might have to pass the collection plate.
That site has good categories though. Just to much for us you know.
#4June 30th, 2005 · 08:47 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
I think it would still be the top 3 songs overall for the prizes...

Perhaps later it could be on a category specific basis... otherwise we'd be spending thousands / month... I think it would be much better for now to go this way, I dont think there will be enough songs in some categories...
#5June 30th, 2005 · 10:03 PM
15 threads / 11 songs
147 posts
United States of America
True and maybe have a playoff system. Say the top 2 from each in a new category, then so on and so on. Just have the big battle end about 5 days early and start the playoff. Because the battle is prety much decided by then anyways. Also have there votes restart so there is new votes for each song in this new playoff. And I agree on the money, right now as a free site is isnt fesable to do. But maybe in the future we can do something.
#6March 24th, 2006 · 08:55 AM
6 threads / 5 songs
27 posts
United States of America
What ever happened to this idea of having genres here? Personally I relish the idea concidering my aversion to the guitar, I would love to review more music but just about every song I try to listen to hurts my ears. If there were genres, either as metatags or as forums, it would be much easier for anyone to give feedback on the  kinds of music they enjoy.
#7March 26th, 2006 · 01:28 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
I like the idea, actually I had it awile ago but never went anywhere with it obviously.
But I just want to point out that if we do have genre sorting, "Rock" isn't going to cut it.
Think about it; rock can be almost anything. There are basically no limits. Of course this means that there is no absolute way of sorting it, but there are practical ways. If you simply had "Rock" it could still end up with an incredibly wide range of music.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 5:17 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.