1 2
#16February 17th, 2006 · 01:22 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Jiminuk wrote…
I'm not sure about the value of having to vote on other songs if you post one and enter it in a competition.  Think about it - prizes to win.....I know, I'll give everyone else 10% then I'm bound to get a good result - final result = everyone's songs are rated as "crap"!!!
Clearly some system is called for, and so far the only realistic solution is to prick people's conscience and try to get them to vote.  Perhaps a "this is what your vote means" bit at the top of the page may work.  Who knows?!

Well, I think a "refrain from voting" option in the voting box could be possible, so that the voter makes his non-vote count for the number of votes total, and agrees with the standing average (which is hidden). Atleast this would mean having to visit all the competition's song pages, which is good for community feel. Don't forget handing out 10%s everywhere is a form of abuse, and is undoubtedly easily traceable by the admin & his mods.

I still think a public shown number of votes placed by a member will work... Maybe simply something like

Membername
    20 posts    49 votes placed (avg 70%)
    2 songs    

maybe something like that... I feel for it personally...
#17February 17th, 2006 · 02:26 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Pup - I really like that idea now I've seen what you mean:
Pup wrote…
Membername
    20 posts    49 votes placed (avg 70%)
    2 songs
This works for me, and will stop people abusing the system too as their voting average will be seen.
Good idea!

#18February 18th, 2006 · 12:18 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
All this Kudos' idea seems for me a huge confusion, but I think the main idea is good.

> Iszil
#19February 18th, 2006 · 08:27 AM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
Yes Puppet that will work! It looks to me like we've pretty much figured it out...
Anyone else see a problem?
#20February 18th, 2006 · 02:02 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
yeah....    I see a problem....    the whatajigger on the whositwhatzit is busted...

oh, no problem with the idea though.... hahahahaha

JimK
#21February 18th, 2006 · 09:43 PM
42 threads / 1 songs
556 posts
United States of America
haha Jim. haha.

So now we wait for mud to look at the idea, then?

-   The WebCam
#22February 19th, 2006 · 05:34 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Oldies324 wrote…
Yes Puppet that will work! It looks to me like we've pretty much figured it out...
Anyone else see a problem?

there is one minor problem: we want the voting to be reasonably anonymous...

So if you cast a vote, and it is your first one, your average will immediately show what that vote was....

So maybe keep the average hidden till a member has voted atleast 10 times?

this is difficult... and effectively entirely up to mud what to do with it... I mean let's not forget we are end-users of this forum, just offering suggestions...
#23February 19th, 2006 · 08:01 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
This is all well and good - stats are always interesting to look at.

One thing - where is the motivation?
What will have changed that encourages more people to vote?

I think too much exposure of how someone is voting may actually scare them off in the first place.
#24February 19th, 2006 · 10:11 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Daeljan wrote…
This is all well and good - stats are always interesting to look at.

One thing - where is the motivation?
What will have changed that encourages more people to vote?

I think too much exposure of how someone is voting may actually scare them off in the first place.

True... It may...

maybe leave out the whole "average" deal, but DO show the number of votes placed. In that way voting behaviour will remain anonymous... But it will become clear that some guys are die-hard non-voters and other members can remind them in a socially correct manner to please do vote... Or so...

I remember mud saying once that he found critiques much more important than votes... But now we're having only 2 (two) songs that are actually going to receive a ranking in the february battle... The rest are under 20 votes... How fair is that? What's my motivation for even putting songs in the battle when I know I'm at best going to get 10 voters... I haven't gotten any ranking so far... I've been entering songs since november or so... The best one got stuck at 18 votes and boy did I BEG people to vote...

I think - I still think that artists should only be allowed to enter songs in the battle when they have rated each and every one of the songs in the previous battle... everyone would get atleast like 38 votes by then... I mean it's not so hard! I vote for each and every song myself! If you want to be eligible for a prize then you should be willing to do something in return right?
#25February 20th, 2006 · 07:43 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
To be honest, and this is my opinion, I don't think that the prizes are peoples motivation for entering songs into a battle. I'd say it's more the sense of acomplishment that drives it. Perhaps I'm being naive in thinking that. I also don't think that the prizes should be too valuable, and possibly limited to BandAmp mechandise, perhaps customised in some way to reflect the battle rank.

I can't say that I agree with your idea that you must have voted for each and every song in the last battle before you can enter the current battle. I think that will only reduce the battleground and the number of entries to a small group of people that can actually dedicate their time to doing that - many people would be excluded in that situation. Having some voting history however would probably be a good idea.

I'm still in favor of some manifestation of my original generic proposal: points awarded for voting, uploading songs, providing critique etc... (along with the workflow changes).
Call these points what you will. There are a people registered here who don't upload songs or battle them - this would also give those people some sense of acomplishment.
#26February 20th, 2006 · 02:19 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Daeljan wrote…
To be honest, and this is my opinion, I don't think that the prizes are peoples motivation for entering songs into a battle
I absolutely agree - it's the only reason why I've entered my song in the Feb battle.  But I'm not sure I'll bother again, as there's no motivation to do so - I like to see what people truly think about the song; putting it in a battle is one way that I thought I'd accomplish that. Now I'm starting to think that it would have been better to leave it so that I get reviews and ratings over a longer period of time.
I wonder if I'd have waited before I got close to 20 votes before entering it in the battle, would those votes have counted? If so, then only an extra 2 would have got me ranked.
Too late now though
#27February 23rd, 2006 · 04:56 PM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
I'm trying out the quote thing for the first time here:

Daeljan wrote

(*) discretionary points could be awarded for contributions to the site, such as articles and advice

Puppet Xeno wrote
    Ah, ok, and who is going to judge this? Is mud or entheon going to read each and every single post on this site? And what about personal biases... This wouldn't be fair. Livadream and Crystalcherry have greatly contributed to the community feel of this site, just don't ask how they did this. Would their kudos be going up or down for it? Livadream no longer has an account...

Well, I mentioned this articles thing because the likes of Entheon have written some pretty good 'articles'  which take the form of posts. This could be formalised into an 'Article' instead of a normal post, and readers could rate the usefulness of the article on a 1 to 10 basis, hence it's the public who actually vote for this. Of course, that means more coding work on thr website... but then some sort of home recording / playing / lessons knowledge base could be built up, and maybe indexed by the web search engines. Could be interesing and may attract more people.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:35 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.