#1November 27th, 2008 · 02:03 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Rewrite, Forums, Migration
So, the light of this rewrite, I've reached that spot where I want to decide which forums we'll have available to us.

The screenshots I've posted so far in the "TORT" thread in the Pit don't show this, but I've got a Forums tab which can show you any single forum, or all of them together.

Could I ask for some input about which forums... the good, the bad, the ugly... the useless, the wished-for, etc, etc?  Any renaming you think should be done?

It's not ABSOLUTELY necessary to have a complete list now, but I want to get an idea of what people are interested in.

My current idea list is this (feel free to critique my list)

Audio Review
Lyrics Review
Tab Review (? it's here because it's a media type)
Video Review (again, it's a media type now)
Events
The Pit
Tutorials (the old "Lessons")
Gear Talk & Recording (need a new name for this mix of the 2 existing forums....)
Music Theory
Abuse
Ideas & Feedback
Tech Support

I'm playing with the idea of putting the "Tech Support" forum under the "Help" tab as well, which would also show up as part of the content of the page when you just click the "Help" tab all by itself.  Having it there I think would help direct some traffic to the support forum instead of people getting lost on an FAQ or the like.

Also, something to consider... We can have sub-forums/folders inside of forums.  I've set it up to be easy to do.  I don't want to sub-divide the forums TOO much, though.  Over organization never helped anybody.

sorry for the long post...

Tim
#2November 27th, 2008 · 02:50 AM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
How about a section for members to post where to buy any music they make. Same thing for if they have a gig anywhere....perhaps we could show support by appearing. So maybe name the section:

Events and Products
        or
Gigs and CDs

Another thing I would suggest is

The Trading Post

Here people can post music items such as mics, amps and instruments they wish to trade or sell. Could be a great spot for people to unload some of their less advanced items to people who could use them. Could be free or trade or for a price.

Could also try and get deals from music equipment suppliers and post them in their own section. Make sure that the company pays a commission on sales from this site. The commission would go to the donation box. I would suggest a different section for commercial sales like this. Maybe even a sub-forum like you mentioned would be good for commercial content. Perhaps call it:

Deal Zone
      or
Commercial Content

Good items to have there would be things like band in a box and FL Studio Sirius Satalite systems/programming deals, mixers, and whatever else.

Could also, ask the big companies for givaways. Sirius does that for sure. You could take the giveaway and auction it off to help fund the site or you could use it for prizes for the Battle.

That's it

Caio!
-Mark
#3November 27th, 2008 · 01:18 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Thats a good idea, but then again its kind of transforming bandamp into a selling community. Not that Im against that or anything, in fact I think that if we had a right place for that, it would be really awesome!

TLS: The TAB review would have tabs that people have posted right?
I think that there should be a search for the Audio in audio review, a search for lyrics in lyrics review, and a search for Tabs in tab review. This would make it easy for people to find select tabs or songs that they like.

I think a good name for Gear Talk and Recording (if you are combining both under one thread) would be something like: Equipment and Recording
lol or somehting...
#4November 27th, 2008 · 01:42 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Good ideas from you both---

I guess I did forget a section for gigs and shows and stuff.  I'll add that into the mix.

As for this selling part, MindsAtPlay had an idea extremely similar.  I was going to make a whole other tab out of it, dedicated just to people wanting to sell/buy services or equipment or CDs and the like.

Do we think this is better as a separate section (with a slightly altered interface to help make the whole buy/sell/advertise approach more intuitive than just a forum), or just another forum?  I'm leaning toward a separate section, but if somebody can argue the other way, I'm willing to listen.  At any rate, it's an excellent idea, and I intent to pursue it.

As for the searching thing--- don't worry   I'm all over that.  I think you guys will like it.  Hope to demo it soon on the TORT thread I made in the Pit.  Have to work out a kink or two first.

The tab review forum is where tabs have been uploaded.  Keep in mind, though, that you can upload an mp3, lyrics, tab, and/or video file all together as a project.  they're all tied together, and there will be easy links to each when viewing any one of the project's files.  For instance, you're viewing the Music, and there will be links to the Lyrics and/or Tab and/or Video posts if they exists.

So, "Equipment and Recording" sounds good to me, but I'd like to make the titles as short as possible.   This is because the forum labels aren't super long, and after translation of these headings, they could get even bigger.  If possible, to avoid getting too big, I'd like to have some 1-to-2 word titles for these things.
#5November 27th, 2008 · 03:56 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Gear Talk & Recording :  something like Equipment and Production......?
Your gear and recording are two very different entities.
What about Music Production, Production on its own implies studio talk , or not ??

What about a SPAM forum ? where all the spam posts could be thrown (by Mods) and members / visitors can do with them as they please. 
Then again some spammers might be intelligent enough to put themselves in there!

I think the 'trading post' or 'market place' idea is excellent. Was it Minds who suggested it ? members could 'offer their wares' , punters with 'acceptable spam' could be pointed in that direction and bandAmp 'products' could be offered .....t-shirts , mugs , compilation CDs 'the best of bandAmp.com'.....hmm??
#6November 27th, 2008 · 07:21 PM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
Exactly. No better way to support fellow Ampers than sending them money. lol It is very easy to get a paypal account for taking payments. A nice jesture would be to give the site a small commission to help with things.

Perhaps some of the more endevorous Ampers could produce demos for a fee. It would be good practice and a nice source of income.

Bandamp items like mugs and hats are a fantastic idea too, Kings.
I would 100% buy something from that on occassion to show some support.

Caio!
-Mark
#7November 28th, 2008 · 01:45 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Not only that but we perhaps we could somehow build this so that Bandamp gets a small cut?  I may be talking out of my arse at this point but... maybe at least on Bandamp branded equip we could have a checkout here on the site that takes a small pre agreed upon percentage?  Anyone here do that sort of thing? As far as making T-shirts or mugs or the like?  Something to kick around...
#8November 28th, 2008 · 05:38 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
I think that giving BandAMP a small cut of the price is an okay idea.  It may not be implamented right at first, because it would take attention to more details to have a shopping area of the site, to check out with.

For starters, let's just have the market-ish area where people can post listings, and then handle the financial details (if any) on their own.

I do appreciate the ideas though-- I'm glad we've got so many good ideas coming from us collectively.
#9November 28th, 2008 · 05:39 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
bandamp merchandise might be easier to pull off right at first, though.  that's just a matter of request an order that could be processed by hand (mine or someone else's) in the beginning.
#10November 28th, 2008 · 06:24 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
links tab,

maybe ...just an idea ,...but an adults section for  explicit songs/lyrics..  members could upload their explicit stuff into this area, and entrance would have to be password/age verified.  That way fish's students, or  young kid,s and grandkids could use the site freely.  just an idea that popped up recently.

Jim said he had some songs with explicit lyrics , I've got a few, others probably do to.. I won't upload mine here either .. but if there was an explicit content area I would.
#11November 28th, 2008 · 07:22 PM
160 threads / 88 songs
1,666 posts
United States of America
bandamp gear
Easy to do.. And there already is a bandamp paypal site... which is taking donations.. also, jsut recently a benefactor just made a large contribution.. We could get bandamp gear going, and this money could be used to get contest prizes going again. This might help to get voting back up...  What do you guys think?

I would love to get this site bustling with activity and voting again..

JimK
#12November 29th, 2008 · 12:24 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
Nah man, Just name it the "Swap Meet" and call it a day! That covers everything. Jim, I think the best investment you could make, with a large donation, would be something that brings returns to BandAmp in the future.  I think merchandising, at least, on a small scale would be a great idea and also opens up possibilities for design contest, etc.  Coming up with slogans and images for the T's could be great fun!  Putting together "best of" cd's could be another idea! Cant wait! All this talk is getting me excited about the Amp again! Cant thank you enough TLS!
#13November 29th, 2008 · 12:31 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
yes, merchandise , Tshirts, hats, bumper stickers, I'd buy a couple of shirts and bumper stickers. also best of cd would be cool to.  I came across a site I'm sure most of you know about it , but you upload your songs for free, you can sell em , the artist gets 85% of all sales, the site takes 15% for storage ect.  The great thing about it is it doesn't cost anybody top join to sell it... hmmmm just an idea probably not for this site but it could be another way to generate income to build up the prizez for the contest. That would make the contest more appealing to more musicians.
#14December 4th, 2008 · 08:23 AM
77 threads / 45 songs
2,296 posts
United States of America
TG..can you email me the link to the site your talking about?
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 7:17 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.