1 2 3

#1September 19th, 2008 · 01:39 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Turning a new leaf :)
Ads and a Code Rewrite.

Okay.  I know we've all talked about this before.  I know we all come to the same useless conclusions that "Yes, some new features would be nice, but we don't have many people who can work on it.".

I'm not interested in the committee talk anymore...  I couldn't help out in the past, lots of schooling, getting married, etc etc... But I'm wanting to get this ball rolling now.  I'm trying to get my wife some permanent residence in the US of A, but I can work on this too.

Here are some ideas from my "FROM FLYER COMMENT" thread:

We've got to face the reality that the AMP isn't very active anymore.  I've been away since my intermittent attendance in June and July.  We're lacking participation.  Not only that, I think we all miss the feel of a management that we feel is "in charge."  Mud turned the code over to us, but we're not organized enough to get anything done with it.  Partially because of the following:

A code rewrite - This isn't the easiest thing to do, but let's be honest: What's easier?  A code rewrite that we can design with future alterations in mind, or our current code written by Mud from way back in the day.  I'm no stranger to the fact that BandAMP's code is very hard to understand and make changes to.  So, let's remake it from scratch.  It can be a public endeavor, in terms of ideas.  Anybody can get to the NEW development site, and once it's minimalistically usable, people can test drive it for us.

Ads - **Gasp in horror!**  Look... we need some way of supporting a little bit of development work.  If BandAMP had ads like Facebook, would it really be all that repulsive?  We need to have 3rd-party sites care about how well this site does.  Obviously there needs to be an good sized audience on the site before companies will invest their ads into it.  We should start somewhere.  Musical equipment and services, for example.  Nothing intrusive.  We're talking about a little box here and there.  At first, it'll be the other 3rd party companies that call the shots about ads, but eventually we'll try to wrest that control from them and into our own hands.

I'm willing to begin some site outline ideas.  My idea is that we should start with a 100% clean slate.  We'll worry about hooking up to the database later.  For now, we need a super-functional, easy-to-edit, feature-full site.

Who's with me??    Whether you are or not, I'll be making some beginning efforts on initial redesign.  For now, I'll just mimic the current look and feel of the site.  That'll be subject to change though, if we think it'd be useful.
#2September 19th, 2008 · 02:03 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
I'm with you. well, that's to say that I fully condone any action you may take, because I know as much about computer coding as a penguin in a welly boot.
 This site is soo slow nowadays. Not that I don't appreciate the "cosy" community that we've got goin here, but I'd love to liven things up a bit. Get some more visitors, more members, and more activity in general, and if that means adverts, so be it.

Ian
#3September 19th, 2008 · 03:45 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Hey I would be MORE than happy to help out with this.
 I have HTML and CSS knowledge that I would love to apply. What we could do is refer to Mud's code, and make changes here and there on a new slate.

I think we need to take action with this and id love to help out!

(I have Dreamweaver CS3 and I am pretty good in that as well)
#4September 19th, 2008 · 04:06 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
HTML and CSS would be very helpful.  That's one of my own specialties, but 2 is always (ALWAYS) better than one And you're absolutely right about having a portfolio of work.

We could probably communicate faster (since the AMP is sometimes slow) if we get in email correspondance.  I work at a computer all day, and my email is always right in front of my face.  At that point, we can share contact info pretty securely (such as chat names for skype, etc).  Can I get a PM from you with your email, TheKunadiun?
#5September 19th, 2008 · 04:13 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
yeah I am always At the computer myself, so that would be a lot faster.
(PM has been sent..)
#6September 20th, 2008 · 01:17 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
Downchuck is working on a new forum code.
#7September 20th, 2008 · 07:32 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Oh really? Sweet.
Cant wait to see it
#8September 20th, 2008 · 07:36 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Glad to  hear that, but I think part of the purpose is to have more than just 1 person handling it, so that the code doesn't become modeled to just one guy's style.
#9September 20th, 2008 · 10:21 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Very true.
TLS Has set up like a google docs thing, and had a great idea of doing a whole re-do as a team.
That way everyone gets what they want, and the more the better.
#10September 20th, 2008 · 11:26 PM
76 threads / 5 songs
529 posts
Cook Islands
I vote yes

And vote that the background should be more cheerful and less moody and downtrodden. :]
#11September 21st, 2008 · 01:46 AM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
great idea
#12September 21st, 2008 · 03:08 PM
5 threads / 5 songs
590 posts
United Kingdom
lol, meowmachine, thats a good idea, you're quite right, It is a bit moody and dark. I don't mind how it turns out, but I think we should keep the bandamp mascot on the home page... he's cool.

It all sounds very exciting
#13September 22nd, 2008 · 01:25 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
i don't have anything against anybody else trying to recode the site, but I think a lot of things could use the *redone* "built from scratch" efforts.

@meow: my thought is to allow for some basic skinning of the new site, to give the users some simple options about how the site looks and feels.  (It's a simple CSS file swap... just one extra variable/column in the users' database table.)

I've got a lot of ideas for how the site could improve upon it's already magnificent idea.  TheKunadiun's got some skill that would nice to tap into, and I think that this site could really have some potential for rebirth.  It'll take more than a redesign to get it really active again, but I think it's a great place to start.  We've pretty much got to master the site's code before we can expect to work some magic with it!

TK?  what kind of status do we have on downchuck's work?  Is it something that's moving along quickly? or is it a little slow?  I'm not up to speed, since I've been getting married and filing for my wife's residency in the States...  I've already been building a few things here and there and brainstorming some ideas.  I want this to MOVE ALONG.  We've been stuck in the "almost moving along" phase for a while now....
#14September 22nd, 2008 · 03:54 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
I'm with you in all you can/want to improve on BandAMP.
You some ideas:
· You can leave the Chat Room as a side bar in the browser while you are in BandAMP. That's really useful.
· As more post you have, you get into a new member level and you get more benefits. May be as a ratio could work better; like post/week, so while you have a higher ratio you achieve a new level and you get a new benefit, but the problem is I can't figure what benefit could that be.
We MUST make BandAMP be more active, so whatever could improve it, I'm here to help in what I can.
Long live BandAMP!

> Iszil
#15September 22nd, 2008 · 07:07 AM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
TonightsLastSong wrote…
TK?  what kind of status do we have on downchuck's work?  Is it something that's moving along quickly? or is it a little slow?

I am not in contact with Downchuck. Is anyone? He ignores any emails or pms. Sorry that I can't tell you more.
He seemed to be very annoyed because of the database sent him alert mails every hour. So he did an update of the database. Thats why some tables got doubled entries. As far as I have seen is that he repaired some but not all of them. Maybe he changed one or another line of code to keep the site fast. And if you can follow his posts you can read that he has some ideas in progress. But this is a work behind closed doors.

But as long as the host is not in Bandamp's hands (site, space and database) you won't lead the site into a possible future.
I for myself am resigned to do any further work on here.

The most important thing is that the community stays together, that noone deletes his/her songs, talking to and with each other. Community depends on communication... this very basic feeling is gone imo.

You know how to reach me, good luck
1 2 3

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2024 · 7:49 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.