#1December 9th, 2005 · 04:50 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Like the new changes
I like the new changes. I like the songs I haven't rated for the current battle posted in MY HOME page. And the red Today in the forums.
Except...the font in the forums is different now. It looks like New Times Roman instead of the Arial style font before. I like the Arial much better because the letters are wider. I feel like I'm reading a novel with the New Times Roman style.
I can't figure out what the green thing beside a name is and what it's for.
#2December 9th, 2005 · 04:54 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
I was reading that the reason books are written in Times is it's easier on the eyes, which is the reason I switched it over. About the width, are you talking about the actual character width, or the spacing in between the letters? I can always tweak the font so it's a bit wider, perhaps it could use a bit more LETTER-SPACING... In the future will probably allow the user to change the font + the font size via some java-script, something really important came up in some of my other business affairs, so changes to the site may come less frequently — however, BandAMP is definitely my favorite project, so perhaps not.
#3December 9th, 2005 · 06:14 PM
7 threads
104 posts
United Kingdom
Fonts
...you are referring to 'The Reason Books Are Written' in The Times ? - a well known UK newpaper. The point of that article was that Times New Roman is easier on the i's - being a 'serif' font - but actually it's harder on the eyes for the same reason.

Sans-serif fonts present a clearer 'uncluttered' layout on the screen and are therefore voted by most as easier to read (as the screen looks less 'busy').

P.S. I am supposed to add IMHO at this point.

P.P.S. the New Songs column on the Home Page when you login is a great idea. 10/10
#4December 10th, 2005 · 10:29 AM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
Yeah, I have to say I like arro's wording about it looking busy. I'm talking about the character width, btw, I really hate wide spacing between letters, the space right now is great, IMO. Of course, it might be completely related to what font the user is accustom to looking at normally. So having customized fonts is a good idea, but I suggest not being able to choose any more than 5 fonts because then the forums will really look busy and some might not even want to bother with reading it all. Just a thought...
Oh, glad the stars are back!
#5December 13th, 2005 · 05:21 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
regarding fonts............
a fairly boring subject,

but............

im a teacher at a uk high school and our policy is not to use times new roman or any similar (spiky) fonts in our school for any communication..........the reason being that students with problems such as dyslexia find that font particularly difficult to deal with...the precise reasons i dont know..but will find out more if u wish

the font always used is comic sans ms.
bearing in mind the number of non english contributors to the site whose reading ability in english might be impaired perhaps this information may be of some use in site design?

the fish
#6December 13th, 2005 · 05:56 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Switched it to Garamond... It has a bit more text-width than Times New Roman, and it's a little cleaner looking. As far as designing it for those who's reading ability in English might be impaired, it's an interesting idea, but really, one font is never going to work for EVERYONE. I'm really quite partial to the "serif" fonts for reading text, my mom has always taught me that they are best for large portions of text (she's a graphic designer for the last 20 years)...

Anyways, someday there will be an option to switch various aspects of the appearance of BandAMP — However, right now, I need to focus on what is most important. And that is optimizing the PHP + PostgreSQL code, so the servers don't die as the website grows in popularity. I'll add it sometime, just don't hold your breath 
#7December 13th, 2005 · 10:30 PM
13 threads / 1 songs
408 posts
United States of America
re: regarding fonts............
swordfish wrote…
im a teacher at a uk high school and our policy is not to use times new roman or any similar (spiky) fonts in our school for any communication..........the reason being that students with problems such as dyslexia find that font particularly difficult to deal with
the font always used is comic sans ms.

the fish
That's prbly why don't I lkie it.

I like the comic sans font. It's funny bc I was actually going to suggest that font to MUD.
#8December 15th, 2005 · 05:08 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
at this very moment however I feel that the font, when italicized, is very hard to read... and no, that is not caused by my vision (not blurred) or my screen (brand new laptop)... so well... But I do think, in normal mode, yeah, it looks stylish... Artistic... But frankly I don't mind too much myself, just wish it would be more legible when italicized.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 12:24 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.