1 2
#16November 19th, 2008 · 01:29 AM
115 threads / 52 songs
3,046 posts
Netherlands
Hmm maybe an added feature for reviewers to select tags to a song.. so eventually songs become browsable by genre (aren't they already? except tags are missing most of the time so the feature is kinda useless right now) and for other advanced statistics use. It may also be interesting to see how others classify someone's music. The number of genres should be limited to the ones most widely accepted ofcourse (not the most widely accepted genres, but genre names)... Hmm...
#17November 19th, 2008 · 07:10 PM
116 threads / 26 songs
1,361 posts
United States of America
I agree, PX.  I'm not too interested in getting into specialized sub-genres.  I think a good range of broad ones should suffice, else every song would have to make its own genre practically

And yes, our current browse-by-genre is useless since tags aren't filled in.  Either that, or we really do have lots of "Blues" (the default ID2 tag for genre).

I also think it would be interesting to allow other users to submit what they think a song's genre is.

I think the major voice of objection is coming in fear that the site be permanently divided into genre pages.  I don't think that's a popular idea, but sorting by genre is an acceptable feature addition, in my opinion.
#18November 19th, 2008 · 07:13 PM
116 threads / 26 songs
1,361 posts
United States of America
takaminerbb13 wrote…
That seems reasonable to me. Just as long as it's not required for people to have to list their genre. I think some people might have trouble finding a genre to fit some of their songs (like me and Jim...)

Forgot to address this..

I think that requiring genre isn't really a good thing.  But optionally supplying it would help site stats.  I think one of the main reasons for giving it is to help develop an image for each artist, a reputation on the AMP.  I think that sorting by genre is only a minor reason.

Not supplying the genre would just default to a blank one, not "Blues"
#19November 19th, 2008 · 08:48 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
243 posts
United States of America
Aparently "synth pop" doesn't have meaning? Or "Alternative Rock"

*cough*
#20November 20th, 2008 · 12:18 PM
116 threads / 26 songs
1,361 posts
United States of America
Dark wrote…
Aparently "synth pop" doesn't have meaning? Or "Alternative Rock"

*cough*

Not sure what you mean... I think "Alternative Rock" is just the joining of 2 words that were already genres anyway.  "Rock" and "Alternative".  I'm hoping that the members of the site have enough understanding of the two words separately that they would understand them when put together.  Same with "synth" "pop".

That's precisely why I've suggested we allow for 2 genres for a song.  To me, 1 genre of "Alternative Rock" is the same as 2 genres of "Alternative" and "Rock".   If every song made use of specialized genres, the stats would be useless.  We would have 6 songs site-wide in "synth pop", but if we split them into 2 genres, we could have 400-something in "synth", and 50-whatever in "pop".

I hope you understand that I'm with you in terms of adding genres to the songs.  I just think it's needless to be redundant with WHICH genres we include.
#21November 23rd, 2008 · 07:44 PM
23 threads / 14 songs
243 posts
United States of America
synth does not equal synth pop
pop does not equal synth pop

So. I agree
#22November 24th, 2008 · 06:48 AM
185 threads / 27 songs
2,769 posts
Germany
This is a tiny feeling what comes up if you want to identify a special music STYLE!!!
there hundreds of styles

from Di to Dr
Digital hardcore
Dirge
Dirty rap
Dirty South (also known as Southern rap)
Disco
Disco house
Disco polo - Polish nightclub dance music.
Dixieland jazz (Chicago jazz)
Djambadon
Dodompa - Japanese tango
Doina
Dombola
Dondang sayang - slow folk music that mixes Malaysian forms with Portuguese, India, Chinese and Arabic music
Donegal fiddle tradition
Dongjing - Chinese Naxi form of folk music, related to silk and bamboo music from Chinca
Doo wop
Doom metal
Doomcore
Downtempo
Dream pop
Drone doom (Also known as Drone metal)
Drone music
Dronology
Drum and bass (DNB)

maybe this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre helps to stop this discussion about classifying music in genres. Not even the artist himself knows exactly which genre his works belong to.
Otherwise someone must take the artist by the hand and show him the direction his music might go. Personally I dont want this.
To underline my point of view that I wouldnt listen to music which is categorized to a genre that I am usually not listening to would give away the chance to hear the artist's work.
Example
A work is categorized as "Classic". Usually I'd skip this genre... but a random click on the link opens my heart to the most beautiful music I ever heard as a film score or movie sound track. So what would it be categorized then?
Hope you understand what I am saying
But I like the idea by PuppetXeno to give the listener the chance to tag the artist's work

analog synth pop = 70s?
digital synth pop = top 40?
#23November 24th, 2008 · 07:47 PM
65 threads / 2 songs
1,062 posts
United States of America
I have to agree with TK on this one.  Labeling our music is going to cut way down on reviews and just listening in general.  Honestly, How many of you would have ever listened to my stuff if it had been labeled "Drum and Bass" or the dreaded and overused "Techno"?  I come across new music that I never would have listened to had it been labeled "Synth Pop" or something similar.  I think Dark's idea of labeling so that he can avoid any music he doesn't want to be accidentally exposed to is reprehensible and goes against the very mission we have here, which is to get all of our music listened to by as many ppl as possible!?  Dark, again man...i consider you a friend but im starting to get an elitist a$$ vibe from you man!
#24November 25th, 2008 · 10:12 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
243 posts
United States of America
Not even the artist himself knows exactly which genre his works belong to.
Aesthetically impossible. It is more likely that music critics are foolish. There are hundreds of different styles of painting, but when artist classifies their work; he or she doesn't sift through lists of styles looking for the one that  he or she imagines someone else thinks it should belong in. If you ask David Mustain what he plays, is he going to give an indepth analysis of the braod genre of metal and then critique sharp differences between speed and thrash? Or is he going to adhere to the new wave of thought that he plays hard rock?

The funny thing about specific types of speed metal, thrash metal, acid metal, black metal, symphonic metal, bitch metal, death metal, etc. is that they're all founded on principles behind metal. Arguably, there are a few odd nomenclatures that exist, such as "Numetal" which is that rap/rock fusion that defies all sensibility. However, as much as MAP abhors putting "techno" or "synth" or "dnb" over his work its perfectly fine that he doesn't.

Something I realized was sliced from my orignal post because I used the carrots was an example. You post music and it would look something like this:

(Noodle/Unknown) Insert title here
(Unknown/Unknown) Insert title here
----[ Or as it would apply to me ]----
(Accoustic/Humor) Marie
(Rock/Improv) Angel: Cheer The Fuck Up
(Fingerpicking/Classical) Tears (or) Shadows and Vapors
(Poor Quality/Fingerpicking/Alternative) Box of Wood
(Poor Quality/Noodle) Insert title here

It frees up space in the title line so I could put "Explicit Lyrics" or "sexual connotations" in the title of marie instead of making big words in its description. That way people KNOW what they're about to listen to.
#25November 25th, 2008 · 01:48 PM
340 threads / 59 songs
4,344 posts
United Kingdom
I have followed the thread and I feel that both sides to this argument stand true.
I dont like the idea of 'pick and choose' your own criteria, thats not bandAmp but I do believe some way of 'organising' the mass of songs on the Amp is essential, as are 'tools' to make those songs more accessible.

I like the idea if the tags or the 'uploaders 3 choices of description' if they were on the song (project) page and not on the main audio forum page so a visitor either knows and makes a 'genre' search or they just have to open the page and take a look.

Then again the tags could not be displayed anywhere and a good working search function can be implemented into the site.
1 2
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 23rd, 2017 · 3:39 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.