#1November 12th, 2005 · 08:12 AM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
Collaboration :)
OK, i will be the first person to admit that my personal compositions on this website have been rather futile attempts at what is widely recognised as music, but i do still do have some ego left and believe that my guitaring skills are pretty adequate, at least enough to create soudns that people can enjoy. So instead of turning all emo abotu the fact o cant write songs for shit i thought id advertise myself and see if anyone is interested in any online colaborations???

Basically ive been playing guitar for about 3 years, u can get a slight idea of my skill level from the songs ive posted although they are about 6 months old and i feel i have improved greatly since then, i can send u a more up to date showcase if u desire. Is there anyone out there with a good amount of talent that would like to start writing songs together over the internet?

We can work out the logistics if u message me but im basically wanting a person who is good at which ever instruments they play (im not fussy) and are skilled in recording and edditting, (especially adding drum tracks). I enjoy listening to and playing a massive range of music so im easy on the genre (as long as its not post hardcore, team oiled, goth pop, psycodelic fairy metal or similair).

Cheers m/
#2November 12th, 2005 · 01:49 PM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
I would be interested. I play guitar, drums, piano, trumpet(not that well) and bass, when there's one around. I have have no particular preference, just want to make some good music.
#3November 14th, 2005 · 12:38 PM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
wow a reply! lol, awesome what kinda recording kit do u have?? whats ure favorite genres? can u sing?

so many questions so little time...:P
#4November 14th, 2005 · 12:46 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
Do you think there is any way for BandAMP to provide a feature to help you guys connect in order to collaberate? I've launched the BandFinder feature, which finds members near you so you can PM them and offer to connect and play music together. However, it's very basic. Any ideas will be considered.
#5November 14th, 2005 · 03:50 PM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
hmmm....
i dont know, aside from having a broad bandwidth live sound + video feed for musicians to have videos conferences i dont think theres alot you could do...

You could make some sort of calloboration system where people could add their name with a kind of calling card attached, which would contain all their musical abilities, recording capabilities and contact info. It would save the hassle of talking things over with people through PMing etc. You could even post clips of unfinished recorded bits and bobs incase somebody likes them and wants to collaborate to turn them into a song.

These are all probably pipe dreams but you know...may i just add that i think its awesome that you read the forums so thoroghly and put so much effort into making bandamp the best it can possibly be for us musicians. Thanks alot for your efforts, your a great admin
#6November 14th, 2005 · 04:52 PM
15 threads / 11 songs
147 posts
United States of America
I dunno but you would have to have a recorder on one of there computers and then a high speed confrence ability. It would be very nice though. I know I would take a stab at the ability to do this. If I only knew how to play something more than guitar and bass.

Dont mind me having no clue about what I just said. I am a computer "dumbass"
#7November 14th, 2005 · 06:52 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
re: hmmm....
Atreideslegend wrote…
i dont know, aside from having a broad bandwidth live sound + video feed for musicians to have videos conferences i dont think theres alot you could do...

The quickest way to have video conferences would be direct connection to each individual... so actually having a server in between the people on the network would slow it down. There are many software programs that do this already... I know on the mac you get a free one with the computer called "iChat"... So really, the best thing the BandAMP server could do would be to give you the members "iChat" username (or whatever program they are using). It could be listed as a result in the BandFinder feature...

Another good thing to do would be to educate the members of this forum on the best software for Video Conference's on Windows, Mac, and Linux would be. I'm really not sure about this, and it would be a huge help to me if someone would put this together for BandAMP. It would need to be someone knowledgeable on this subject. Any volunteers?

Atreideslegend wrote…
You could make some sort of calloboration system where people could add their name with a kind of calling card attached, which would contain all their musical abilities, recording capabilities and contact info. It would save the hassle of talking things over with people through PMing etc. You could even post clips of unfinished recorded bits and bobs incase somebody likes them and wants to collaborate to turn them into a song.

Hmm... that is another interesting idea. What all information do you guys think it should have? And what format would you like to have them displayed? Like would you want a drop down menu for the instrument type, or just a text field? It's easy for me to add this kind of feature.
#8November 15th, 2005 · 10:23 AM
31 threads / 5 songs
178 posts
Spain
Shared workspace
One of the biggest problems is getting files accross to the other person. If there was away to store files and invite someone to have access to them then that would be great.
#9November 15th, 2005 · 11:06 AM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: hmmm....
mud wrote…
The quickest way to have video conferences would be direct connection to each individual... so actually having a server in between the people on the network would slow it down. There are many software programs that do this already... I know on the mac you get a free one with the computer called "iChat"... So really, the best thing the BandAMP server could do would be to give you the members "iChat" username (or whatever program they are using). It could be listed as a result in the BandFinder feature...

lol well the video conference thing was supposed to be a joke but nm lol. Thats internet sarcasm for you :P. I reckon it would be cool if u could have a thing saying for examaple;

Name:                   Sex:

Instruments played (singing counts as an instrument):

Recording capabilities:

Interested in making music similar to.....:

Looking or people who play....:

or something like that anyway, and u could look at these cards on peoples homepages, anyway just an idea

cheers m/
#10November 15th, 2005 · 11:59 AM
11 threads / 2 songs
69 posts
United Kingdom
Atreideslegend wrote…
wow a reply! lol, awesome what kinda recording kit do u have?? whats ure favorite genres? can u sing?

so many questions so little time...:P

I have a four track multitracker (oh the shame!!) and a Behringer mixing desk. I use audacity, cos' i have no money. My favourite genres at the moment are Ska/two tone, instrumental metal, and 60s four part stuff(beach boys-barbara ann, etc..) I can sing, but the highest i can go is middle C, and that's on a good day, unless i go into an Axl rose style falsetto type voice. I'll send you some stuff i've recorded. Couldn't put it on here cos' i messed up all the sample rates, so they all speed up a lot! Like this
#11November 15th, 2005 · 01:43 PM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
instrumental metal? Awesome lol. Id love to do some of that but its hard to find a good metal sound in my gt6, do u have msn or anything??? Could i have ure addy? u can PM it to me if u dont want the whole of the internet adding you
#12November 15th, 2005 · 04:59 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
re: Shared workspace
Daeljan wrote…
One of the biggest problems is getting files accross to the other person. If there was away to store files and invite someone to have access to them then that would be great.

Yeah... hmm... not sure the best way to organize this, however, I've installed a script located @ http://www.bandamp.com/scripts/progress/ — You can upload files there to transfer to eachother... I'll think further into making the collaberation process easier later... Right now I'm drunk in Spain. Mmmm.. ok.
#13November 16th, 2005 · 10:01 AM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
re: Shared workspace
Daeljan wrote…

surely the easiest way would be to have a system similair to that of the competitions, where people can just upload unfinished songs/ideas and others can access them through the use of their homepage? Then people can decide if they like a song whether to get in contact with them or not.

All you would really have to do is attach a new "collaborations" section to each persons homepage, they can then fill in all the above details and upload riff ideas etc to that page. There would probs have to be a limit on advertised ideas though...say three uploads at any one time? That way u wouldnt get people posting thousands upon thousands on different ideas.

Maybe in another section of the site u could have a search engine for searching for people to collaborate with by genre or instrument?

Anyway just a thoguht, cheers m/
#14November 17th, 2005 · 05:54 PM
74 threads / 5 songs
441 posts
United States of America
re: re: Shared workspace
Atreideslegend wrote…
surely the easiest way would be to have a system similair to that of the competitions, where people can just upload unfinished songs/ideas and others can access them through the use of their homepage? Then people can decide if they like a song whether to get in contact with them or not.

All you would really have to do is attach a new "collaborations" section to each persons homepage, they can then fill in all the above details and upload riff ideas etc to that page. There would probs have to be a limit on advertised ideas though...say three uploads at any one time? That way u wouldnt get people posting thousands upon thousands on different ideas.

Maybe in another section of the site u could have a search engine for searching for people to collaborate with by genre or instrument?

Anyway just a thoguht, cheers m/

Hmm... ok, that kinda gets the idea juice flowing in this thread. So, basically, it would be a lot like a directory, where people could upload files to work on their group project... could be wav's, or audition files, or whatever. Also, for each project there would be a thread (like the ones for audio review) — by default the project would be *hidden*, however, by flipping a switch the admin of the project could make it public in the "Group Projects" forum.

I don't want to make this thing too complex — you think that would be simple + complex enough to work? It's probably about two days work for me (that would be full days of work, which wont happen at least till getting back from Spain... currently the place I'm staying has no Internet, so that really sucks for me!)
#15November 20th, 2005 · 06:23 PM
7 threads / 3 songs
47 posts
United Kingdom
That sounds awesome, as soon as u have the time it would be cool if u could get something like that sorted, this could come in really handy for people like me .
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 20th, 2024 · 8:56 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.