#1July 20th, 2011 · 03:59 PM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
Best way to monetize your music online?
Hey guys,

As an unsigned musician I find myself scratching my head all the time and wondering how to make money off of my music and monetize my work online. I have found a few resources but I was wondering what you all do to monetize your music content online? It would be great to hear some success stories and maybe get a jump start with some tips.

Here are the different platforms that I am aware of:

iTunes:
Pros: Has a lot of the bigger brands and is a well known name.
Cons: Requires users to pay for music which they may not be willing to do.  Certainly not start up artists.

Pages.Socialmusic.com:
Pros: Provides artists with a way to monetize their music without asking users or fans to spend any money or do anything uncomfortable. Fans view a short series of ads then proceed to music. Artists are paid each time one of their fans does so.
Cons: Does not have quite as big a name as the others yet.

CDbaby.com
Pros:  A simple way for unsigned artists and small labels to begin getting serious profiting off of their work.
Cons: The amount of musicians active on this website is extremely large, so that CD you are selling for $6 may take a while to get noticed.

Songstall.com
Pros: An easy to use on line music shop which allows independent artists to sell their music to their fans and friends.
Cons: Not the easiest platform to use, company takes a % off of the total song/album sale.

What do you guys think?
#2July 20th, 2011 · 04:07 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
I know that once I'm done recording my album I will be using www.routenote.com to release it. It sends it to all the major music stores with no charge to you and you get to keep like 90% of the royalties, or you can pay for a plan and get 100% of the royalties. It may be that you get to keep 85%...I can't remember...but I highly recommend checking out www.routenote.com

That's good for commercial sale but how do people find out about you in the first place? What I'm using and I've noticed many other new bands are using is www.reverbnation.com and there's one other that I can't remember the name of but I'll post it when I remember.

I wish the best of luck to you! Let me know what you use and what you've found works so far because I'm in the same boat as you. Also, you should definitely start uploading some of your music here on BandAMP. and by the way, WELCOME TO THE AMP!!!!   
#3July 20th, 2011 · 04:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I second Routenote.com is a great way to start for unsigned artist or if you have no cash.

It's all about the music you have to be seen and heard - the more people see/hear the more chance you have.
Why don't you upload your music here so we can review it and help you to get the maximum form your music before you publish it.
#4July 20th, 2011 · 06:13 PM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have heard of Reverbnation, but I have not used Routenote so I will definitely look into that one. Currently I am still working on NEW tracks worthy of monetizing but hopefully I can add some demos or riffs here soon to allow you guys to listen to my work. I have some existing stuff that I may upload here today though so keep an eye out.

One platform that I do find interesting is Pages.Socialmusic.com.  It's a brand new website that is now accepting new artists, it's a way to allow your fans to pay for your music but without coming out of pocket.  It seems like a very interesting new take on making money with the internet and my music and so far it has been working great for me.

Now if only I could get more fans falling in love with my music! 
#5July 20th, 2011 · 08:50 PM
30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
monetize????what that????
I'm skeptical bout making money from Internet.
& email in box filling up with lookatmelookatme spam.
Reverb nation is ok social networking , labtones is another ,myspace offered sales too in it's death throws but seriously you have a generation out here who;ve never paid for music , in fact the only time they've reached for their wallet is for merch at live shows. Even  Ga Ga was bankrupt only 12 months ago after selling umpteen million copies.
The notion of earning a real living out of sales, it is a dream come true for precious few.
If you're lucky enough to get royalties for music used in TV shows you'd be doing ok.Tho many new publishing companies are parented by production companies so royalties are rock bottom.

Like some others here on bandamp over the years I've been lucky enough to make a buck out of this industry & indulge in the legend lifestyle somewhat, filling passports with tour stamps from tours around the world ,indulging high time but that  was through live gigs playing covers .
As original band
We opted for an A&R package from start up group , they
service radio and TV video programs.What you get for the fee is an instant network of connected individuals and companies.The songs are vetted and picked over quite thoroughly , thick skin an advantage as songs you may have nurtured and grown to something good in your mind may be dumped quickly .Branding product target audience all that stuff , no promise of sales , just airplay. Also forget albums , go a new single with a push every six weeks avec video to source to TV video programs which here in Australia are being can celled as we speak as people access music videos differently now.doh
Actually gotta say my rewards are less tangible these days , having a bunch of fellow travelers who just happen to be great musos who turn up to rehearsals where we write and record is magic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/blakhatz?feature=chclk

Beating the drum here a little but this was shot in my back yard on no budget , 2nd single release we will have another in October after returning from Japan .The first of these elcheapo vids has made it to National TV &the cable Country Music Channel.
My hat is fake cost $ 4:50 at the local trash and treasure shop.
But the guitars are real.
Good luck United Entitity will look forward to hearing your music whereever.
greg
blakhatz
#6July 21st, 2011 · 04:50 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: monetize????what that????
blakhatz wrote…
I'm skeptical bout making money from Internet.
& email in box filling up with lookatmelookatme spam.
Reverb nation is ok social networking , labtones is another ,myspace offered sales too in it's death throws but seriously you have a generation out here who;ve never paid for music , in fact the only time they've reached for their wallet is for merch at live shows. Even  Ga Ga was bankrupt only 12 months ago after selling umpteen million copies.
The notion of earning a real living out of sales, it is a dream come true for precious few.
If you're lucky enough to get royalties for music used in TV shows you'd be doing ok.Tho many new publishing companies are parented by production companies so royalties are rock bottom.

Like some others here on bandamp over the years I've been lucky enough to make a buck out of this industry & indulge in the legend lifestyle somewhat, filling passports with tour stamps from tours around the world ,indulging high time but that  was through live gigs playing covers .
As original band
We opted for an A&R package from start up group , they
service radio and TV video programs.What you get for the fee is an instant network of connected individuals and companies.The songs are vetted and picked over quite thoroughly , thick skin an advantage as songs you may have nurtured and grown to something good in your mind may be dumped quickly .Branding product target audience all that stuff , no promise of sales , just airplay. Also forget albums , go a new single with a push every six weeks avec video to source to TV video programs which here in Australia are being can celled as we speak as people access music videos differently now.doh
Actually gotta say my rewards are less tangible these days , having a bunch of fellow travelers who just happen to be great musos who turn up to rehearsals where we write and record is magic.

http://www.youtube.com/user/blakhatz?feature=chclk

Beating the drum here a little but this was shot in my back yard on no budget , 2nd single release we will have another in October after returning from Japan .The first of these elcheapo vids has made it to National TV &the cable Country Music Channel.
My hat is fake cost $ 4:50 at the local trash and treasure shop.
But the guitars are real.
Good luck United Entitity will look forward to hearing your music whereever.
greg
blakhatz

Great video guys
Glad to see you progressing - KEEP IT UP!!
You guys ROCK
#7July 24th, 2011 · 06:00 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
I don´t think I can make much money with my music. But I´m pretty much surprised that my album gets noticed slowly in the www.

Wow  
today I stumbled over my album "Anfunk" which is available on "jamendo.com" under CCL on a russian website with a few other "Jamendo "-artists.
Furthermore I found 3 YT vids where my music has been used .         

.......some nonsense......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPj5HBChoKI&feature=player_embedded
............questions.................
http://ekerala.net/videos/Ozzy78%27s-25-questions-TAGGED-BY-A-GIRL-response-video-%E3%81%A0%E3%82%88%E3%81%AA%EF%BC%81%EF%BC%81%EF%BC%81/Anfunk%20-%20ULI%20%28unlimited%20inspiration%29%20/view/0/uhm3MSmcVRA.html
.....and a soundtrack to a super thrilling vidgame....  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oSx3Wi5gmY&feature=player_embedded

I never expexted seriously that someone would use my stuff for vids or that my artist name would propagate in so many countries and continents.  There are 2 google sites filled with U.L.I.       

My conclusion is : don´t expect too much from internet "monetizing" your music. There are so many "fishes in the lake" and just a few artsist are able to exist from their music.
When one uses some platforms where he can be heard and after a time his name spreads over the www this is already a small success. Everything else what may bring you a few bucks is like "the cream on the cake".
I´m really happy to have got so much feedback, response and encouragment from you bandamp-guys and from "jamendo". That is more than I expected when I posted my music first time here.

U.L.I.
#8July 26th, 2011 · 12:39 PM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
Your music is worth more than you think.  I am currently making money every single day from my music with SocialMusic, and on some other sites too but it's slower. 

You don't have to be signed to a huge deal to make money these days..
#9July 26th, 2011 · 02:19 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
UnitedEntity wrote…
Your music is worth more than you think.  I am currently making money every single day from my music with SocialMusic, and on some other sites too but it's slower. 

You don't have to be signed to a huge deal to make money these days..
Tnx a lot fot that compliment.
Where did you upload your stuff in SocialMusic ? There so many options.  LastFM, Cd-Baby, BandCamp..........

Oh, btw, you didn´t upload anything here ?    I´d like to hear something from you here. What kind of music do you make ?
#10July 26th, 2011 · 04:17 PM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
With Social Music you can basically upload your song tracks or albums to their site and then you make a page for that specific song or album.  So you can then share that URL anywhere and get people to support you, pretty cool idea. What I like about SM specifically is how easy it is to register and get started, the whole system is pretty easy to work with I think they simplified everything very well. If you want I can help you get started?  I am always down to help.

About my music, I am a new user here and haven't figure out how to upload my own music yet but I will definitely do that!  I play a mix of Grunge/Rock/Thrash metal but I also do some hip-hop stuff in my free time.  Most of my music is of the Rock genre though that I have recorded.

If you are really interested though I will get something uploaded for sure!
#11July 26th, 2011 · 05:10 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Uni wrote…
If you want I can help you get started?  I am always down to help.
Tnx for that offer. I´m not sure if I wanna join another network where I must send my URL around the world. That´s not my intention. It needs to join more networks (facebook, twitter etc).

Uni wrote…
I am a new user here and haven't figure out how to upload my own music yet
The bandamp rules say that a member can only upload a track after he has reviewed 3 other tracks here.
This shall keep the members / forum active. And it brings members together.
Of course I´m interested in your stuff. I´m sure other ampers are also curious about your music.
So keep up listenug and writing.  

U.L.I.
#12July 27th, 2011 · 11:14 AM
5 threads
17 posts
United States of America
Well if you ever need help let me know, as I said it works for me and I am all for lending a hand to a fellow music man.

I think I am going to go check out others music and give some ratings.  I noticed you have a lot of tracks made in 2010, do you have anything new?
#13July 27th, 2011 · 01:23 PM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
UnitedEntity wrote…
Well if you ever need help let me know, as I said it works for me and I am all for lending a hand to a fellow music man.
I won´t forget ya kind offer and if I´m going to use other platforms one day I´ll come back to it. 

Uni wrote…
I noticed you have a lot of tracks made in 2010, do you have anything new?
You can find a songlist on the artist profile > music > added (2or3 clicks change order)
Here´s a bunch of good music to explore on bandamp. have fun with it, Uni   

What about ya bass? Do you play it busily ?  

U.L.I.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:09 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.