30 threads / 5 songs
757 posts
Australia
Vinyl back in black
#2August 9th, 2008 · 06:54 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
I guess the difficulty with this one for me is that - yeah, sure bands are starting to 'demand' a number of albums/singles are released on vinyl; but why did we move away from that medium in the first instance? 

The sound quality of CD has never quite been as good as vinyl - but on my £500 system do I really notice the difference?  Of course not!  If I were to spend £1000s on a top of the range system with everything perfectly placed and the ability to produce sound that makes you think the artist is there with you in the room, then perhaps I would be looking at buying a decent complimentary turntable - but I don't have that kind of money to spend, and besides everything I own musically gets ripped to the very 'lossy' mp3 format.

So advice: go on a web site such as 'Audio Review and see what they come up with. 

Personally, I still have an old turntable (a nothing special made by Toshiba) which I link to my PC through a USB phono pre-amp which allows me to rip vinyl to disc.  I'm more than happy with this.

(As an aside, I also found this article which may be of interest!)

Good luck in your search.

Jim A
#3August 10th, 2008 · 07:16 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Back in Black was the first piece of vinyl I ever owned !  
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 26th, 2024 · 4:42 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.