#1August 10th, 2020 · 04:36 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
Bailout

This song is not in a battle

This is a scratch track of one of the songs I'm working on with the Iron Cowboy Band.  This was done in my home, I did the arrangement (still not done I have a middle eight swing section to add in).  I still have to add in steel guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, lead guitar , and backing vocals.  Mainly this is just a basic scratch track. Just thought I'd post it up to give ya'll a listen and maybe get some pointers.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2August 12th, 2020 · 12:58 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Hey TG! You said this was a scratch track, so I wouldn't be surprised if you've already planned to take care of everything I'm about to say. Anyway, I like the song, the concept and the "up-tempo", rockabilly nature of it. The guitar sounds great, it's a bit too loud and the vocals are a bit buried. Speaking of vocals, you're tending to to trail off at the end of some of the phrases (the last word sounds apprehensive and not projected well-enough). It also seems that you might be rushing some of the lines to fit within the structure of the song. Make sure you time them so they don't sound rushed. The song has a great raucous quality..you just have to make sure the vocals support that. Consider doing them with a bit more authority. I would suggest you make sure you got plenty of air support to push those vocals all the way to the end.  Drums are a bit loud. Bass is very low in the mix. I think the choruses could benefit from some well-done vocal harmonies. A nice sparkly hybrid-picking guitar lead (or maybe a well-done pedal-steel or piano lead) would be great, in order to break up the verses a bit.

Here are three (out of many) examples of this "uptempo rockabilly" type of song that inspire me:

#3August 12th, 2020 · 05:16 PM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
battlecat wrote…
Hey TG! You said this was a scratch track, so I wouldn't be surprised if you've already planned to take care of everything I'm about to say. Anyway, I like the song, the concept and the "up-tempo", rockabilly nature of it. The guitar sounds great, it's a bit too loud and the vocals are a bit buried. Speaking of vocals, you're tending to to trail off at the end of some of the phrases (the last word sounds apprehensive and not projected well-enough). It also seems that you might be rushing some of the lines to fit within the structure of the song. Make sure you time them so they don't sound rushed. The song has a great raucous quality..you just have to make sure the vocals support that. Consider doing them with a bit more authority. I would suggest you make sure you got plenty of air support to push those vocals all the way to the end.  Drums are a bit loud. Bass is very low in the mix. I think the choruses could benefit from some well-done vocal harmonies. A nice sparkly hybrid-picking guitar lead (or maybe a well-done pedal-steel or piano lead) would be great, in order to break up the verses a bit.

Here are three (out of many) examples of this "uptempo rockabilly" type of song that inspire me:

Thanks for listening,, Yeah I didn't really try to mix this any.  It's just a reference. I have a country singer coming in to do the lead vocals.  I'll just be singing the background vocals. We'll have a real drummer and add in Steel , piano, and some lead guitar.   Do you think I should ditch the last verse and  add in a middle 8 breakdown (thinking of 1/2 time swing beat). ?
#4August 17th, 2020 · 06:25 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Just bg vox ??????? geeeze mate dig your voice sounds  great in this.Tight with snappy snare  Frame work on Bailout all there , will be good to hear the finished version .
#5August 17th, 2020 · 04:56 PM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
battlecat wrote…

Thanks for listening,, Yeah I didn't really try to mix this any.  It's just a reference. I have a country singer coming in to do the lead vocals.  I'll just be singing the background vocals. We'll have a real drummer and add in Steel , piano, and some lead guitar.   Do you think I should ditch the last verse and  add in a middle 8 breakdown (thinking of 1/2 time swing beat). ?
Sorry it took so long to respond - been busy. Anyway,  it makes sense to break up the "verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse/chorus"  pattern. By "middle 8 breakdown, 1/2 swing beat" do you mean something similar to what happens at 2:13 in the Alan Jackson video (below)? If so that could be cool. In fact your song has a similar structure to Alan's - he has three verses (one verse halftime) three repeats of the chorus, but a crapload of instrument leads to break it up and give it some continuity at the same time. In fact, he has six solos total, and he wraps the song up with four different instrument leads, taking 8 bars each. His song appears to flow pretty well.

#6August 18th, 2020 · 03:34 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
That Alan Jackson song is real close to this one.along with many others.  Yes this song will have banjo, steel, fiddle, if things work out right Jason Roller on some of the lead guitar work.  If I can't get the singer down there to the studio, I might end up doing all the vocals.  thanks for posting on this.
#7August 18th, 2020 · 11:56 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
Sounds like it's gonna be killer! I hope we'll get to hear it...
#8September 21st, 2020 · 03:57 PM
189 threads / 27 songs
2,834 posts
Germany
go for the final track, dude. Wanna listen to it
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 29th, 2024 · 1:45 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.