1 2

#1September 30th, 2017 · 05:20 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
An Endless Circle

This song is not in a battle

I've been procrastinating some important stuff, trying to get a few new ideas down before I lost the inspiration.  This follows on from Militia Nine and The Spire, but it's sort of a different chapter of the larger story.  I'm still kind of outlining the shape of this story through new songs, but I've got a couple sorted out already.

My drums are always pretty center-aligned and I initially tried playing them wider for this but couldn't get anything to my liking.  I needed them to carry the beat and every time that beat evolved, my badly executed wide drums felt like they were being lost.  So I doubled down on the center sound.  Strings probably need to be chained or just equalized to make more room when they're playing over other stuff, buuuut my ears are numb at this point and I really need to stop procrastinating those other things...

I made it back to Phoenix and had my keyboard again for the first time in about 2 years.  If anyone's to blame for this procrastination, it's the keyboard.

Thanks for the listens and any advice!

Volcano.  Volcanos have no natural predators.  They're pretty convenient for a rogue planet having trouble keeping its atmosphere and heat.  That's definitely important to the setting in this story.  So here's a volcano.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2October 1st, 2017 · 12:19 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Love the sound of the Bass and Drums, they work so well together in making an excellent foundation.
It has a sort of oriental feel to it and at the same time it sounds like something out of a James bond Movie.
Although it does not have a structure I can associate with, the composition keeps me poised to what is going to happen next.

The production is excellent to my ears, so do not procrastinate, you just need to work on the end - I assume you are still working on that, unless you mistakenly, cut it off when mastering it for upload?

NICE WORK
#3October 1st, 2017 · 01:46 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Denis wrote…
Love the sound of the Bass and Drums, they work so well together in making an excellent foundation.
It has a sort of oriental feel to it and at the same time it sounds like something out of a James bond Movie.
Although it does not have a structure I can associate with, the composition keeps me poised to what is going to happen next.

The production is excellent to my ears, so do not procrastinate, you just need to work on the end - I assume you are still working on that, unless you mistakenly, cut it off when mastering it for upload?

NICE WORK :razz:

Thank you!  I've been trying hard to up my bass game.  I used to add bass far too late in my composition process when the mix was too busy for it to work, but now I try to get it in as early as possible.  (My "Stellar" upload is a perfect example of the bass being almost rammed into the mix, and it came out sloppy has hell.)

About the ending... I knew from the early phases that I wanted it to be a gapless playback loop, so I've stubbornly stuck to it.  That doesn't lend itself well to this player (same goes for soundcloud page) but on a desktop/phone player it can.  THAT SAID, I don't think it's perfect.  I think I need to end it half way through the measure instead of right on the beat, and then start the song on a half measure as well.
#4October 3rd, 2017 · 12:55 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Wow, very nice complex texturing of harmonies and sounds. Keeps me engaged all the way. These compositions of yours each have their own unique blend of styles the world has not heard before. I'm hearing all sorts of things that spark my imagination, igniting my own inspiration; this is all very "lucid", for lack of a better word. Great job!
#5October 3rd, 2017 · 06:10 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
PuppetXeno wrote…
Wow, very nice complex texturing of harmonies and sounds. Keeps me engaged all the way. These compositions of yours each have their own unique blend of styles the world has not heard before. I'm hearing all sorts of things that spark my imagination, igniting my own inspiration; this is all very "lucid", for lack of a better word. Great job!

Wow, thanks PX!  I love the excitement that comes when I get to follow an idea as I'm working on it, and it's doubly rewarding to hear that something might be rubbing off on whoever's got the headphones in.  A year ago I was throwing different instruments into every piece, but I'm having a lot of fun right now keeping to a few core instruments and seeing what else I can do with them.  It was sort of the same thing when I was hitting the pseudo-video game sound over and over (although the mass appeal of that chip tune vibe is rather limited, I admit )
#6October 5th, 2017 · 07:43 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
An Endless Circle
to be honest .... it gets better the deeper in u go

but its not a song

which was the original intention of the site

Its great .... well produced  and all that goes with that

but it aint a song

Impressed Fish
#7October 5th, 2017 · 08:08 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
re: An Endless Circle
swordfish wrote…

but its not a song

but it aint a song

Impressed Fish

I've seen you say that about a few things in the last couple of weeks.  I can vaguely understand where you're coming from, but I think I've decided that I disagree.

I'd totally be on your side if I had recorded me or some tribal woman doing her traditional drum beat and then posted it here.  "Song" means something a little more than that.  Fair enough.

I admit that this sort of narrative concept music is definitely not for everyone, but it's soundtrack music, mood music.  I'd like to discuss it some more, though, so that I understand more about where you're coming from.  Do you feel like there's no structure?  Does lacking vocals make it not a song?  Is it just that it's purely electronically produced?  Do you not like the aggressive narrative to the composition?

Thanks for your feedback, fish!
#8October 5th, 2017 · 10:13 PM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Is this for a video game or something like that? I feel it would fit in one... don't know the type though. Maybe some adventure/mistery genre. You should try submitting this tune to a company that makes games.
There some interesting mixing in the drums here. Cool stuff.

- Iz
#9October 6th, 2017 · 01:51 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
Iszil wrote…
Is this for a video game or something like that? I feel it would fit in one... don't know the type though. Maybe some adventure/mistery genre. You should try submitting this tune to a company that makes games.
There some interesting mixing in the drums here. Cool stuff.

- Iz

Hey, Iz, good to hear from you!

Actually, I pour a lot of time into writing sci-fi and fantasy, and I like writing music to accompany the stories.  This current project is the first time I actually outlined in my head what the story would be purely with the music.

This song here is the beginning of my next brainstorming for the outline of the second book.  So in a way, you're right about it having a game-ish feel!  That's sort of how I picture it!  I intend to release the albums (hopefully polished as much as I can make it) together with the books, once I get that far.
#10October 8th, 2017 · 09:18 AM
1 posts
Germany
As Soundtrack music that would be ace! I love the way the piano fits in with the drums. Very well done
#11October 9th, 2017 · 06:22 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: An Endless Circle
swordfish wrote…

but its not a song

but it aint a song

Impressed Fish

song
sɒŋ/Submit
noun
a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.
"a pop song"
synonyms:    air, strain, ditty, melody, tune, popular song, pop song, number, track; literarylay
"a beautiful song"
the musical phrases uttered by some birds, whales, and insects, typically forming a recognizable and repeated sequence and used chiefly for territorial defence or for attracting mates.
synonyms:    call(s), calling, chirp(s), chirping, cheep(s), cheeping, peep(s), peeping, chirrup(s), chirruping, warble(s), warbling, trill(s), trilling, twitter, twittering, whistling, piping, birdsong
"all sounds were muffled except the song of the birds"

ok so thats the dictionary

I THINK I WILL JUST SHUT UP
#12October 14th, 2017 · 04:07 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
I have this one in my playlist to listen to in my car and at work.  This is quite fascinating to me, the sound choices and rhythms you have put together. I feel like at times there is nice counterpoint melodies going on, then it switched to a call and response ...... this is throughout your work not just this song.  I really like this a lot.
#13October 14th, 2017 · 08:24 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
toastedgoat wrote…
I have this one in my playlist to listen to in my car and at work.  This is quite fascinating to me, the sound choices and rhythms you have put together. I feel like at times there is nice counterpoint melodies going on, then it switched to a call and response ...... this is throughout your work not just this song.  I really like this a lot.

Thanks!  The melody choices you're describing are something I've been exploring for a few years but which I feel I'm doing more gracefully in songs like this one.  It comes from listening to orchestral music.  I loved the way I heard the melody being temporarily passed like a torch to other instruments, not in whole sections of the composition, but within single measures or bars.  They were all playing together the whole time, but only during those few particular seconds would the flutes really have the melody, then it would be in the hands of the piano, then back to the strings or whatever.

It warms my heart to hear you're into certain of the songs!  Thanks so much for listening to the junk I've uploaded over the years to eventually find one like this   
#14October 20th, 2017 · 12:14 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
This is just absolutely perfect. I have listened several times and can find no constructive criticism to offer. As has been said, I love how the melody flows between instruments, you have absolutely handled that with excellent precision in this piece.

I am extremely excited for you to complete this entire album/story. I will love to hear it all together as a finished piece.

This kind of music I feel I would struggle greatly with writing. It's so fast and intricate and seemingly too complex for me. I highly respect this!
Great work! Looking forward to more.
#15October 20th, 2017 · 12:50 AM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
TheKunadiun wrote…
This is just absolutely perfect. I have listened several times and can find no constructive criticism to offer. As has been said, I love how the melody flows between instruments, you have absolutely handled that with excellent precision in this piece.

I am extremely excited for you to complete this entire album/story. I will love to hear it all together as a finished piece.

This kind of music I feel I would struggle greatly with writing. It's so fast and intricate and seemingly too complex for me. I highly respect this!
Great work! Looking forward to more.

Thanks!  I just had to build it up bit by bit!  It comes together very very organically...  The "weave the whole basket as you go" strategy helps me follow whatever feels like it should come next in the composition (as opposed to plotting out the details of the whole structure first).  Having the strong bass and drum line in this one helps keep it from turning into a mess as it evolves!
1 2

Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 19th, 2024 · 4:06 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.