#1September 16th, 2017 · 03:53 PM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
12 Crashes (mix 1)

This song is not in a battle

Looking for production advice ... how does it sound to your ears and on your fine listening equipment?

The vocals are just a quick take, I'll be doing a final version for them soon. Also the note at the very beginning isn't supposed to be there, it plays a bit early. That was an error with the MIDI when exporting to mp3 for some reason. When I export to WAV it doesn't do that. Anyways, what do you think?

More low end needed?

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2September 17th, 2017 · 06:51 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I like the way it builds up, you could even make that more dramatic, by removing the drums for say 30 secs or so into the song.
The vocals sound perfect in terms of sound, so would keep those settings as they are.
The drum rhythm at the start is not right, probably too much going and it sounds flat.
The echo on the rhythm section needs changing, the timing of the echo does not match the tempo. TG once posted something about calculating echo's so they they fit perfectly into the the tempo.

The eq on the keys needs flattening a bit, it will separate the vocals better.

I love the feel of the song, it just needs a few tweaks to bring out the sound more.
#3September 17th, 2017 · 08:45 AM
181 threads / 54 songs
1,932 posts
Canada
Denis wrote…
I like the way it builds up, you could even make that more dramatic, by removing the drums for say 30 secs or so into the song.
The vocals sound perfect in terms of sound, so would keep those settings as they are.
The drum rhythm at the start is not right, probably too much going and it sounds flat.
The echo on the rhythm section needs changing, the timing of the echo does not match the tempo. TG once posted something about calculating echo's so they they fit perfectly into the the tempo.

I love the feel of the song, it just needs a few tweaks to bring out the sound more.

Thanks very much Denis, I always appreciate your advice!
Yeah you know..programming the drums for this song has been the most difficult part. Listening back now with fresh ears I can hear what you mean - their echo is off tempo and the rhythm of the drums feels weird. It's been difficult trying to figure out where and how to include the drums. I'll keep playing with it, see what happens!
I'll give a little EQ tweak to the keys as well. Thanks so much.
#4September 18th, 2017 · 11:05 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
TheKunadiun wrote…
Denis wrote…

Thanks very much Denis, I always appreciate your advice!
Yeah you know..programming the drums for this song has been the most difficult part. Listening back now with fresh ears I can hear what you mean - their echo is off tempo and the rhythm of the drums feels weird. It's been difficult trying to figure out where and how to include the drums. I'll keep playing with it, see what happens!
I'll give a little EQ tweak to the keys as well. Thanks so much.

I'd keep the drums simple, so long as the sound blends nice, focus on finding a kit that goes with the music. Most people start with bass drum and snare and build from there, avoid too many fills, better to have accents where it suites.  Will be intrested how this turns out.
#5September 21st, 2017 · 07:16 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Production
a hiss starts after 6-7 seconds? and is always there in my head..

the tom sound overides the vocal a bit  at 1:16... its just a bit too hard??? maybe

yep its a bong ...where a bng might work better haha

lovely vocal

fish
#6September 22nd, 2017 · 04:56 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
This is a beautiful song. I love the blend of the different instruments. the vocals were well done. imho  I'd go with a nice sidestick snare for this song. It's cool to be different but, sometimes the best thing for a song is just a good ole standard part. If you don't have easy drummer or something like that, just get a good audio sample and just copy and paste it probably in on the  2&4. Plus I like the kick, it just needs a bit of air on it. Most delays or some delays, usually within most DAW's now days let you pick note timed delays that lock into the meter of the song. This is a simple and easy way to clean up the delay.  It sounds like you double tracked the vocal line. I'm not sure if that is what you did, usually you back the one or two doubling tracks back into the mix a bit. Take the strongest takes and comp them together, then lay the backing track tucked underneath the main lead, maybe add in some harmonic distortion to give it a bit of grit. The song really is good. Whenever I can close my eye,s and just love listening to a song,  it's because I really like it. This one did that for me.
#7September 24th, 2017 · 03:36 PM
117 threads / 20 songs
1,422 posts
United States of America
This is a lovely song with a solid vibe.  Everything you've done in Clear Lake and and now this stuff, it's all a very cool type of mellow.  You've got a great sense of composition for pulling it off, particularly in making vocals that add to the song instead of taking over it.

A couple of things that I noticed that, if fixed, would have robbed me of anything to criticize:

I agree with swordfish about the part at 1:16.  It sounds like maybe that part has a higher midi note velocity to change the intensity of the hit, and the compression threshold isn't attacking quickly enough for the other things in the mix that it's competing with.

2:45, it that left-panned guitar arpeggio feels like it's lagging behind the tempo by a fraction.  Since it's standing out more than it does later in the song, it jumped out at me as sounding out of sync.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 10:55 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.