#1April 26th, 2015 · 02:48 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
The Mother

This song is not in a battle

Hi guys, just thought I'd update you on what I'm up to at the moment!

I've managed to find a new band and I'm really happy, these guys are all crazy talented and dedicated and decent people overall really!

I'm now playing Rhythm Guitar and singing backing vocals instead of lead vocals... I always said I'd do that for the right band and I think in this situation it really works as we now essentially have 2 really decent vocalists so we can really do some nice harmonies!

Played my first gig with them last night at the O2 Academy 2 in Birmingham, was a really really good show.

If you wanna give us a like on Facebook or whatever then do a search for "Light The Skies"! Hope you like the song!

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2April 26th, 2015 · 04:34 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great seeing you make progress in your music.
I assume this upload is of the band?
The band has a great Live open air concert vibe. Great energy and presence!
#3April 27th, 2015 · 05:08 AM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
"Massive energy" is the first thing I hear in this. Deep metal sounds, the contrast between the guitars and keys - quite a lot of "crafting" put in to this song. Quite an epic sounding piece for sure.

But then - the vocals. With such a heavy sound, the vocals seem out of place. "wimpy" comes to mind. "whiny" would be another term. I also couldn't follow the lyrics - I might have liked it better otherwise. Although I heard something like "I'm afraid"...? Well it's certainly not "angry man" music then. Maybe interesting for a certain age group but mainly because of the vocals, the song fails to "stand out", doesn't trigger an adrenaline rush while the music itself carries that potential.

That said, music wise I also kind of miss a clear structure, a "hook" and a melody I can play back in my mind. So all in all the production value outclasses the songwriting, but it's still a good start. Talent and dedication to make something great will eventually get you where you want to be. With this, I'd say the first thing to work on is get the singer to be more daring and "ballsy", less whiny, and that possibly means having to review the lyrics too to get rid of any passive-aggressive- emotion states, but I couldn't hear the lyrics so that isn't an issue at this point.
#4April 29th, 2015 · 03:50 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks for comments both!

Denis - yeah, forgot to actually mention! This is the first song I've been involved in with the band (joined to replace their old guitarist).

Puppet - I understand your point, guess it appeals to a certain audience. Check out Sleeping With Sirens, they have a similar sound with a similar kind of vocal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjBq9aZ9cw

Do agree this could have more of a hook though, it's not repeated and catchy enough for my liking... but I have mostly been writing pop haha. I wasn't involved with the writing of this one, but I'm really excited to get involved with the writing in future. And a big part of why they picked me for the band was my songwriting ability!
#5April 30th, 2015 · 12:17 PM
121 threads / 56 songs
3,098 posts
Netherlands
Petermoncrieff wrote…
Thanks for comments both!

Denis - yeah, forgot to actually mention! This is the first song I've been involved in with the band (joined to replace their old guitarist).

Puppet - I understand your point, guess it appeals to a certain audience. Check out Sleeping With Sirens, they have a similar sound with a similar kind of vocal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HjBq9aZ9cw

Do agree this could have more of a hook though, it's not repeated and catchy enough for my liking... but I have mostly been writing pop haha. I wasn't involved with the writing of this one, but I'm really excited to get involved with the writing in future. And a big part of why they picked me for the band was my songwriting ability!

Alright, I see what you mean, ultimately this is of course a matter of taste. I do however wonder what you will sound like, say, 10 years from now
#6May 15th, 2015 · 09:31 AM
9 threads / 9 songs
64 posts
Australia
Looking forward to hearing your input on more tracks

This song is written well. To me it sounds like how Coheed & Cambria SHOULD sound. Good job!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 7:03 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.