NOT THE WAY revised mix

This song is not in a battle

Revised Mix Pre Mastering

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2January 21st, 2015 · 03:08 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I've got nothing to compare with - What did you change/Record?

Sounds flat even for a revised mix to be honest - By the time you take it to the final master, it will be difficult to improve upon it. Your initial mix should be close to what you want in the final mix, tweaking everything to the extreme will loose the quality of the sound.  Sorry if I sound negative, but It's better to tell you what I'm hearing and how you can improve upon it.

It's a good song, nice hook and energy although I think you may have forced your vocal, in that certain parts sound like you are shouting.

If you get the time. I would re-record the whole song. It could be your monitors, weather it being headphones or monitor speakers are either not set-up properly or they are not good for referencing. I'd be interested to know what your complete recording set-up is?
#3January 21st, 2015 · 06:08 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
So this is a redo of the post I uploaded in December. Ive actually re-wrote some of the lyrics especially in the chorus and re recorded all the main vocal track, and added some background vocal phrases and guitar "hook" between the first and second half of the verses. I also did  a second take on the bass line since as the song progressed it didnt fit like it should.  The first recording the vocals were over recorded and clipped a little here and there and I had thought they were a little sweet with not enough angst for the lyric content of this song.
I just got done listening to the .wav file I created from the recording program and Im listening and comparing to the bandamp mp3 post now. The quality and dynamics are not as good as the .wav file so I guess thats from the .wav to mp3 conversion.  To me, the .wav file sounds really good, maybe one of the best sounding recordings Ive made. As far as the mp3 goes, I still have to keep the file size within limits for posting so Im not sure what I can do to make it better, To me, through my ipad and headphones, it dosent sound that bad, at least not bad enough to consider rerecording it, especially since its the mp3 version that dosent sound as good. 
 Im using closed back sennheiser headphones as monitors and using a cakewalk pro tracks recording program with a lexicon omega interface. Guitars are run through a digitech rpx400 giving me a total of 2 preamps which sounds great in the mix straight from the pro tracks and just as goos as a .wav file. Id set up originally using an amp and mic set up but the recordings sounded much better direct using the preamps in the  fx pedal into the lexicon interface. As for the vocal, its an emotional somewhat melancholy song so yeah, Ive shouted a little, I cant always sing a song like a ballad. And i think it adds to the overall feel of the song.  I will try playing with the wav-mp3 converter to see if I can get a better result......ps...changed the encoding options and re-uploaded the song. It went from  6mb to 13mb and it does sound better although still not as good as the wav file.  For some reason I thought there was a  7MB limit on Bandamp but it uploaded fine so my bad.  Ive been uploading low-res tracks for years now on BandAmp. Ugh.  Better sounding songs coming soon.  Any suggestions for a good converter.? Im using SwitchSound converter right now.  Hope my second upload of this song does not violate BandAmp's "duplicate song" rule.  If it does, someone let me know and I'll remove this one.  Thanks
#4January 22nd, 2015 · 03:30 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
SkunkApe wrote…
So this is a redo of the post I uploaded in December. Ive actually re-wrote some of the lyrics especially in the chorus and re recorded all the main vocal track, and added some background vocal phrases and guitar "hook" between the first and second half of the verses. I also did  a second take on the bass line since as the song progressed it didnt fit like it should.  The first recording the vocals were over recorded and clipped a little here and there and I had thought they were a little sweet with not enough angst for the lyric content of this song.
I just got done listening to the .wav file I created from the recording program and Im listening and comparing to the bandamp mp3 post now. The quality and dynamics are not as good as the .wav file so I guess thats from the .wav to mp3 conversion.  To me, the .wav file sounds really good, maybe one of the best sounding recordings Ive made. As far as the mp3 goes, I still have to keep the file size within limits for posting so Im not sure what I can do to make it better, To me, through my ipad and headphones, it dosent sound that bad, at least not bad enough to consider rerecording it, especially since its the mp3 version that dosent sound as good. 
 Im using closed back sennheiser headphones as monitors and using a cakewalk pro tracks recording program with a lexicon omega interface. Guitars are run through a digitech rpx400 giving me a total of 2 preamps which sounds great in the mix straight from the pro tracks and just as goos as a .wav file. Id set up originally using an amp and mic set up but the recordings sounded much better direct using the preamps in the  fx pedal into the lexicon interface. As for the vocal, its an emotional somewhat melancholy song so yeah, Ive shouted a little, I cant always sing a song like a ballad. And i think it adds to the overall feel of the song.  I will try playing with the wav-mp3 converter to see if I can get a better result......ps...changed the encoding options and re-uploaded the song. It went from  6mb to 13mb and it does sound better although still not as good as the wav file.  For some reason I thought there was a  7MB limit on Bandamp but it uploaded fine so my bad.  Ive been uploading low-res tracks for years now on BandAmp. Ugh.  Better sounding songs coming soon.  Any suggestions for a good converter.? Im using SwitchSound converter right now.  Hope my second upload of this song does not violate BandAmp's "duplicate song" rule.  If it does, someone let me know and I'll remove this one.  Thanks
Thanks for the details. I'm not clear what you recorded it through as you say it sounds good on your iPad. If you are recording through your iPad, I believe the sounds from that are rich in treble, but I could be mistaken.
The most import item in recording is your interface in terms of recording quality.  Have you tried listening to the track on other devices, like a car CD player or even a cheap portable player? It's good to compare, so that you can get a mix that sounds good on all devices. Headphones can be deceiving as monitors, there are only a few on the market that you can use, although If you have been mixing using the same set-up for years you can learn how to get a good mix through plenty mixing and listening until you find what works and stick to it.

This is just my opinion - it would great if you can get some pro reviews on the mix, or even some experienced mixers on the AMP like Marino, TK and others alike to see if my opinion is worthy.

As for mp3 converters I use Switch and convert to 320bit rate most of the time, it's as good as a wav more or less. As I said it's not the converters that will give you the best sound it's your audio interface.
#5January 22nd, 2015 · 07:11 PM
37 threads / 30 songs
166 posts
United States of America
To clarify....I was only listening to the mp3 on the Bandamp player using the sennheiser headphones. The first version of Not The Way was poorer quality but not bad I guess for a lower bitrate track but the second  much higher bitrate track was much better.
I record everything on a windows PC that I keep exclusivly for recording. I do usually create a CD  every completed song or two then listen to it repeatedly in my Prius to find problems.  It has a really good system in it with JBL speakers and is usually helpful.  The only real difference I hear this way is that the vocals seem a little louder in the car than on the PC.  Not too much highs or mids, just louder. 
I really like the Lexicon Omega interface. Simple, effective, great sound from the completed tracks playback on the PC. Ive used it to record by myself track by track and its also been great for recording a full band on its 4 inputs both mine and as a producer for other bands.
#6January 23rd, 2015 · 03:56 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
SkunkApe wrote…
To clarify....I was only listening to the mp3 on the Bandamp player using the sennheiser headphones. The first version of Not The Way was poorer quality but not bad I guess for a lower bitrate track but the second  much higher bitrate track was much better.
I record everything on a windows PC that I keep exclusivly for recording. I do usually create a CD  every completed song or two then listen to it repeatedly in my Prius to find problems.  It has a really good system in it with JBL speakers and is usually helpful.  The only real difference I hear this way is that the vocals seem a little louder in the car than on the PC.  Not too much highs or mids, just louder. 
I really like the Lexicon Omega interface. Simple, effective, great sound from the completed tracks playback on the PC. Ive used it to record by myself track by track and its also been great for recording a full band on its 4 inputs both mine and as a producer for other bands.
your set-up seems Ok, but cannot vouch the quality of a Lexicom Omega interface, but I'll assume it does a relatively good job.
The only thing you have not mentioned is the Bass, and that is the one thing I think you can improve on. Bass is probably one of the hardest to mix, too fat and it buries everything and reduces the headroom, too low and it sounds thin and lifeless - It's not just bass instruments, but the bass on all instruments and vocals. The others are to be able separate all the frequencies in you recording so that you can hear them clearly - having individual two channels with similar frequencies will clash making them hard to be defined independently. Take a look at panning also, the panning sounds a bit too centred in this mix.
Hope this helps - I'm just a little passionate about recording techniques and have always tried to learn from others and try to put it into practice.
#7January 26th, 2015 · 05:41 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: NOT THE WAY revised mix
SkunkApe wrote…
Revised Mix Pre Mastering

is that the skunk ape ex geordie / makem /smoggie i remember
wow great to see u back on the amp...

The Song and execution are Great!!!

should u get this mastered .... NO

as that will cost u money!!

first off get back in to your mix ....
sounds like it been done by committee .... and nowt works well

u remember Club committee jokes

Its flat and look at the everything again ... Drums (in particular )
the version we hear via mp3 on amp is non dynamic unseperated

to be honest its all hanging a bit on the left side....

look at panning

look at eq (each track) .... bass is lost!!!

hmmm
sorry to be a bit critical .... I'm going back for another listen

yep I've been back and listened again .... its mostly in the middle and flat dynamics
is this just an old track revisited?

Cream revival reminds me of .... listen to them??

Crabstick... fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 5:49 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.