Hector and Achilles

This song is not in a battle

Pretty strange song.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2November 5th, 2014 · 04:28 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Strange is a good thing - I like your ideas.
It just needs a strong melody line. How do you create yours?- mine normally come into my head when I'm listening to the rhythm section or even a nice chord
#3November 18th, 2014 · 09:35 PM
9 threads / 9 songs
64 posts
Australia
Just how you described, that's how the melodies come to my head. Rarely, I might be listening to the song when I'm out and about. Then I might come up with a hook. I then have to record it on my phone haha.

Generally I nut out the rhythm section first, and then throw some piano chords on top, that's how I start most most songs.

I was wondering what you mean by needs a strong melody line. I think the song is nearly "busy" enough as it is.

A composer friend of mine told me he abides by the "two and a half" rule. He only has a maximum of two and a half melodies at any one time, so as to stop songs becoming too cluttered. Despite the temptation I have sometimes to keep throwing layers on
#4November 19th, 2014 · 03:20 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
ArpKnight wrote…
Just how you described, that's how the melodies come to my head. Rarely, I might be listening to the song when I'm out and about. Then I might come up with a hook. I then have to record it on my phone haha.

Generally I nut out the rhythm section first, and then throw some piano chords on top, that's how I start most most songs.

I was wondering what you mean by needs a strong melody line. I think the song is nearly "busy" enough as it is.

A composer friend of mine told me he abides by the "two and a half" rule. He only has a maximum of two and a half melodies at any one time, so as to stop songs becoming too cluttered. Despite the temptation I have sometimes to keep throwing layers on :)
Strong Melody simply means that - It's gotta grab you, make you wanna sing it, it must complement the rhythm section, you wanna here it more and more, It sounds great, emotion, feel, expression, uniqueness. Creating one is another story.  You can get all tequi if you want, but the main ingredient is the vibe and feel - you get that right and the melody will flow naturally, LIKE WATER OFF A DUCKS BACK I've put another suggestion about creating melody lines in a more recent post of yours, and that is to just listen to the Bass, or bass & drums if in the track when you are creating a melody.  The most famous Jazz Singers  like Ella Fitz' and improvisers alike  use this method.
#5November 22nd, 2014 · 04:58 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
Hector and Achilles
NICE PIECE OF WORK ....
you present some great 'themes'

may i suggest you listen to works by Philip Glass ....(look him up on you tube)

He uses a composition technique called 'minimalism'
That might be perfect to take these basic ideas of yours to the next step...
so your simple themes/tunes  presented on this track ... get expanded ....

just a thought to help.....

other than that it sounds like a
backing track to an early 80s pop song

Unfortunately.........the backing track just didn't make it

sorry

sorry fish
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 1:30 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.