#1March 21st, 2014 · 08:00 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Lovers or Liars

This song is not in a battle

Hi guys.

Haven't posted on here in a while! (must be about a year now?)

Last you heard the band was breaking up because of 2 members that weren't that great. Me and the lead guitarist were carrying on. That's still the case, we have a reliable drummer now, had a bassist for a while but it didn't work out. Still trying to find one that's suitable. We've got some studio time coming up soon to record some new stuff, our lead guitarist will play bass if we don't have a bassist by then.

We're not exactly the most active band, so I recently moved out of my parent's house and went to live in a completely different city (same one as the band), ideally so we can practice more. That's not really happening at the moment so I decided to take action and get things sorted myself. Invested in some decent ish recording equipment and this song is my first proper crack at recording with it all.

It's a cover that I'm entering for a competition (here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFu1OZ_PoLY). I think I've made the song sound quite different, more my own style.

I played all the instruments in this one. They're all real apart from the drums. I did actually play the drums too, but it's on an electric kit so they probably won't sound perfect.

In case anyone's interested I'm using Logic Pro X, Alesis iO2 audio interface, a little Orange Amp for guitars (mic'd up with an sm58), bass amp designer in logic, Rode NT1-A for vocals, and a Roland electric kit.

This is first attempt I've had at properly mixing a rock song too... so any mixing tips would be MUCH appreciated.

Didn't mean for this to be such a long post... so congrats if you've read this far

Thanks for listening guys, as always.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2March 25th, 2014 · 09:52 AM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
Here's the final version for the competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gj5fP4IO6s
#3April 2nd, 2014 · 02:27 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Great Multi Skills Pete!!
All sound good accept bass - just needs a high pass filter
#4April 5th, 2014 · 05:58 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Lovers or Liars
Petermoncrieff wrote…
Hi guys.

Haven't posted on here in a while! (must be about a year now?)

Last you heard the band was breaking up because of 2 members that weren't that great. Me and the lead guitarist were carrying on. That's still the case, we have a reliable drummer now, had a bassist for a while but it didn't work out. Still trying to find one that's suitable. We've got some studio time coming up soon to record some new stuff, our lead guitarist will play bass if we don't have a bassist by then.

We're not exactly the most active band, so I recently moved out of my parent's house and went to live in a completely different city (same one as the band), ideally so we can practice more. That's not really happening at the moment so I decided to take action and get things sorted myself. Invested in some decent ish recording equipment and this song is my first proper crack at recording with it all.

It's a cover that I'm entering for a competition (here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFu1OZ_PoLY). I think I've made the song sound quite different, more my own style.

I played all the instruments in this one. They're all real apart from the drums. I did actually play the drums too, but it's on an electric kit so they probably won't sound perfect.

In case anyone's interested I'm using Logic Pro X, Alesis iO2 audio interface, a little Orange Amp for guitars (mic'd up with an sm58), bass amp designer in logic, Rode NT1-A for vocals, and a Roland electric kit.

This is first attempt I've had at properly mixing a rock song too... so any mixing tips would be MUCH appreciated.

Didn't mean for this to be such a long post... so congrats if you've read this far

Thanks for listening guys, as always.

yep i think i go with dennis on this ....
the way the track sounds in bandamp is hi eq heavy
the track is very good  .... but the sound as we hear it is treble ric
ok ... I love the song its just not arrived into bandamp as a nice rich sounding mix
as ever i think your vocals are amazing

THE BIG THING IS COULD U POST HERE MORE OFTEN

EQ the fish
#5May 26th, 2014 · 06:36 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
this is real good, you just need to study some mixing techniques, the playing and singing is great.

things to look at for a cleaner mix
 panning:  works great for getting a cleaner sound, better separation between the sounds
 work  on EQ'n ,  get a grasp on this , your mixes will come alive.
 building space (depth), getting things to sound close up, or far away. 
compression, one of the hardest things to get . 
mix automation,  this can take you from sounding bedroom to pro.  Learning just a little bit about mix automation can really change your mixes.

tip : Dezz Asante :   mixlessons.com  http://www.techmuzeacademy.com/
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 3:43 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.