#1July 27th, 2013 · 11:21 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
I Dreamed A Dream

This song is not in a battle

I play the piano (not well) now, and this is something that came up a while back. I just received my new mic, so I thought I'd test it out by doing this.

This is, quite simply, the greatest piece of music ever written for theatre, so forgive my wailing if it gets too much.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2July 27th, 2013 · 11:35 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I was expecting Sir Elton John to start singing, very much like his style or even Queen....
I could imagine a huge gospel Choir singing this as the song picks up.
Not bad on the ivories, you got the touch  - nice chord changes, dynamics work great...
If you practiced a bit more on the VOX and brought them up front it would be sweet-as-a-nut

Hope to hear more of you 
#3July 27th, 2013 · 11:41 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Vocally this is about a semitone or two out of my register. It gets muddy any lower, so I just give it all.

It's good to record—hopefully I'll keep a streak running!

Elton or Freddie? You are too kind, my friend. Thank you.
#4July 27th, 2013 · 01:19 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
avinashv wrote…
Vocally this is about a semitone or two out of my register. It gets muddy any lower, so I just give it all.

It's good to record—hopefully I'll keep a streak running!

Elton or Freddie? You are too kind, my friend. Thank you.

I recently was working on some vocal songs. When I first started to sing them I was struggling to get to the highest notes.  I persevered, practiced and somehow developed a technique to achieve them without straining.  I've seen a few YouTube tips that mention when you are trying for those high notes you should mental push down rather than up.  I think technically your vocal box muscles keep it in the same place, it's the amount of air that passes that helps pitch the notes.  Also you need less air for the high notes and vice versa for the low.  We have the impression that we must put more energy and air into the high notes, when it's the complete opposite, it's when you tense-up that the vocals sound stained.
So don't give it all, give it less
Edit** Something along these lines

#5July 27th, 2013 · 06:02 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
When I first bought my condenser mic I couldn't understand why my recordings were so bad .... I had it the wrong way round !
It's a bit how this sounds, you're singing in the room but not in the mic.
I think your vocal is quite decent, are you monitoring your self while you sing? it helps a lot apparently.
You have a wonderful Billy Joel thing going on here .... it's hart breaking
Very nice work, if you have the vocal track separate from the piano you can still play with the levels to bring it closer
#6July 27th, 2013 · 07:51 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: I Dreamed A Dream
avinashv wrote…
I play the piano (not well) now, and this is something that came up a while back. I just received my new mic, so I thought I'd test it out by doing this.

This is, quite simply, the greatest piece of music ever written for theatre, so forgive my wailing if it gets too much.

you've got a lovely piano
and a great emotional voice

Im sure you get this ....
a 1 mic recording position is always going to sound like a demo

so as a demo this is great!!!!
U sound fantastic.....

Jean Valjean Fish
#7July 27th, 2013 · 10:40 PM
128 threads / 44 songs
2,814 posts
Puerto Rico
Avi as usual your song writing skills go above....The colors of sounds reminiscent of Queen and the execution quite delightful...Missing a bit of humph on the final product but not on the performance..KUDOS!
#8July 28th, 2013 · 04:16 AM
64 threads / 13 songs
669 posts
United States of America
Thanks, all, for the kind words.

Denis wrote…
I recently was working on some vocal songs. When I first started to sing them I was struggling to get to the highest notes.  I persevered, practiced and somehow developed a technique to achieve them without straining.  I've seen a few YouTube tips that mention when you are trying for those high notes you should mental push down rather than up.  I think technically your vocal box muscles keep it in the same place, it's the amount of air that passes that helps pitch the notes.  Also you need less air for the high notes and vice versa for the low.  We have the impression that we must put more energy and air into the high notes, when it's the complete opposite, it's when you tense-up that the vocals sound stained.

I just sat in my bedroom for 10 minutes trying to make this work. I result in something akin to falsetto, which is not what I want here. In falsetto, I can comfortably reach the song's range in the key I play it in, or even the original key of the song. However, especially the second part of the song once the key modulates up, there is something aggressive and painful about the music and lyrics that I find a falsetto is too delicate to represent. I want that grit and shout when I sing it.

I will say this tip made my falsetto a bit clearer and less strained, so I'm walking away with some good knowledge. Thanks!

kings wrote…
When I first bought my condenser mic I couldn't understand why my recordings were so bad .... I had it the wrong way round !
It's a bit how this sounds, you're singing in the room but not in the mic.
I think your vocal is quite decent, are you monitoring your self while you sing? it helps a lot apparently.
You have a wonderful Billy Joel thing going on here .... it's hart breaking
Very nice work, if you have the vocal track separate from the piano you can still play with the levels to bring it closer

Actually you have perfectly described the problem: I was very far from the mic. It's because the pop filter didn't arrive with the mic. Well caught.

swordfish wrote…
you've got a lovely piano
and a great emotional voice

Im sure you get this ....
a 1 mic recording position is always going to sound like a demo

so as a demo this is great!!!!
U sound fantastic.....

Jean Valjean Fish

Thanks! The piano is modeled, not real, but yes, the end result is a bit demo-y.

Marino wrote…
Avi as usual your song writing skills go above....The colors of sounds reminiscent of Queen and the execution quite delightful...Missing a bit of humph on the final product but not on the performance..KUDOS!

Thanks! I should clarify that this piece is not an original—it's the most famous song from the musical Les Miserables.
#9August 2nd, 2013 · 12:07 AM
160 threads / 33 songs
1,965 posts
United States of America
This is very very good. The mic did a great job,  I see nothing wrong with your vocals. it's real and musical.  Not doesn't sound "tuned"  which in my mind is more musical.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 27th, 2024 · 2:43 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.