#1June 27th, 2013 · 09:47 AM
5 threads / 4 songs
34 posts
United States of America
Nightling

This song is not in a battle

Working on another batch of songs for a second instrumental album.
Nightling is a song that is currently under construction so I could use some feedback on the mix, structure, performance etc.
I have an idea for a bridge but I wonder if I'm throwing too much at the song.
Its also admittedly a little melodramatic with the storm sound effects but including the sound seemed to help get the feel right.

Any comments at all are welcome.

Thanks guys.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2June 27th, 2013 · 02:47 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
The arrangement is great, sounds good as it is, not melodramatic at all.
In terms of the performance you could perhaps make it a little tighter, but it's still sounds OK to me
The most noticeable thing I can see where you can improve is:
A) The melody line, or lack of one
B) Recording quality

There are many parts where there is just rhythm I feel a strong melody line is needed to dominate the mix.  The lead guitar frequency is very similar to the Guitar rhythm - they are fighting for the spot light, I'd make the Lead guitar brighter and with less reverb, this will bring it more up front in the mix.
The bass guitar is thin, think this needs to be bold and strong to support the drums. The drums also needs some work, they appear to be fighting for a place in the mix, I'm not certain, but it may be that the guitar rhythm eq is over powering everything in the mix, that's how it sounds to me.
If you itemise your set-up, gear etc... I may be able to help you get a better mix.
#3June 28th, 2013 · 07:33 AM
5 threads / 4 songs
34 posts
United States of America
Thanks Denis,

I haven't spent too much time on the mix with this one so I am very happy to have help with levels and texture.
When I've been listening to the song, about the halfway point, I almost expect it to go somewhere else for a bit and then return to the main theme. Your comment about the song needing a strong central melody is most likely the reason I was feeling the way I was.
The bass is once again a product of the way I prefer to play my Jazz bass and tends to affect the tonal quality of the recording leaving the bass track sounding thin. I have a way to go before I'm willing to declare the song complete. There's some drum editing to do and a full on final mix so I will have a chance to address some of the weakness you've helped me with. I will post my setup and hopefully get some tips on what I can do to punch things up.

Thanks again.

-Tom
#4June 28th, 2013 · 06:03 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Nightling
thomasallencummins wrote…
Working on another batch of songs for a second instrumental album.
Nightling is a song that is currently under construction so I could use some feedback on the mix, structure, performance etc.
I have an idea for a bridge but I wonder if I'm throwing too much at the song.
Its also admittedly a little melodramatic with the storm sound effects but including the sound seemed to help get the feel right.

Any comments at all are welcome.

Thanks guys.

I go with dennis ....
needs a tune/vocal...
its work in progress ... that sounds fine
finish it???

fini fish
#5June 30th, 2013 · 03:38 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Sounds ready for a vocal.
Denis does have a good ear and knows his stuff, he's shown a lot of peeps the way where getting a good all round production is the goal.
A good strong vocal could bring in the rest of the 'tune'
I think the storm sound is fine, it sets the mood just right.
If it's meant as an instrumental it needs throwing more at it ....
#6July 1st, 2013 · 07:35 AM
5 threads / 4 songs
34 posts
United States of America
Thanks Swordfish and Kings.

This will definitely be an instrumental song so I believe I'll need to do some work on the lead melodies.

Taking Denis' advice and making sure the new tracks standout with different textures than the other guitars is a good idea. I've laid down most of these tracks with a double fat telecaster. I have a strat that has a different tone that I can try for the new lead melody.
I noticed some sloppy play on some of the existing tracks that needs to be addressed as well.

I appreciate the feedback and the help very much.
#7July 17th, 2013 · 07:12 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
re nightling
Well  with picture may be story to follow too.
Playing really good sounds like your getting there no worries
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 7:44 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.