#1May 30th, 2013 · 05:59 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Letter to a friend

This song is not in a battle

A little ditty that I recorded some time ago, but was never happy with.  This version is better I think.
Only the drums are not "live" - they've been programmed using EZdrummer. 
So how can the mix be made better?  I'm sure it can - just not sure how at the moment (although I think the bass is a little loud perhaps).

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 31st, 2013 · 03:39 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Nice Jim, vox are great, well recorded.
You can improve the sound of bass and drums. I need more info on how you are recording the Bass guitar, interface, mixer, amp etc.
As with the EzDrummer, first off I found the Funkmaster kits to offer the most realistic sounding. There is a choice of two, I can't remember which one I prefer, it's a question of trying them out.
The other important thing is to choose Multichannel in the ExDrummer mixer, then in cubase open the VST instrument tab and click on icon (Far right) which looks like a box and an arrow. This will give separate tracks for the drums so that you can individually adjust the Eq, Compression etc. I normally add some upper mids to the overheads and snare. I generally don't use compression as they are all sampled sounds anyway.

#3May 31st, 2013 · 04:04 PM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Fabulous feedback on the drum sounds Denis... thank you.  I knew about selecting the multi-channel outlet in the EzDrummer mixer, but didn't know that it was paired with the "activate all channels" bit too, so well worth trying from now on for me.
Glad you like the song.
As far as your questions are concerned: bass is recorded direct into the digital recorder (Zoom R16); I don't add any effects during recording.  This is how everything except drums are captured.  Once I have all elements of the song recorded I transfer it to my PC and use Cubase for the mix.  I mix in mono for volume, then sort out the stereo spread.  For bass, I tend to add a little compression, and a bit of EQ only.  I've got, but not tried using amp sims for the bass.
The mix-down is then captured, and I master separately again using Cubase.
Once again, thanks for the feedback.  Very useful indeed

#4May 31st, 2013 · 04:44 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Letter to a friend
Jiminuk wrote…
A little ditty that I recorded some time ago, but was never happy with.  This version is better I think.
So how can the mix be made better?  I'm sure it can - just not sure how at the moment (although I think the bass is a little loud perhaps).

Wow Jim...

This is a fantastic recording ..... right in my room!!!

Well Done...

Seems like u and denis use ezee drummer ... i havent got that ...is it free??? haha 
#5May 31st, 2013 · 04:51 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Letter to a friend
swordfish wrote…
Jiminuk wrote…

Wow Jim...

Well Done...

Seems like u and denis use ezee drummer ... i havent got that ...is it free??? haha  ;)

ok u ask how can mix be made better ... the only thing i might suggest is have a look into the dark arts of mastering!! ....

when will we three meet again ..... yep its different ....witches brew etc

im looking at it .... it just gives me a new way of looking at my final delivery ....having realised that my stuff is just not consistent at the final delivery

tecno type fish
#6June 1st, 2013 · 11:28 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Jiminuk wrote…
Fabulous feedback on the drum sounds Denis... thank you.  I knew about selecting the multi-channel outlet in the EzDrummer mixer, but didn't know that it was paired with the "activate all channels" bit too, so well worth trying from now on for me.
Glad you like the song.
As far as your questions are concerned: bass is recorded direct into the digital recorder (Zoom R16); I don't add any effects during recording.  This is how everything except drums are captured.  Once I have all elements of the song recorded I transfer it to my PC and use Cubase for the mix.  I mix in mono for volume, then sort out the stereo spread.  For bass, I tend to add a little compression, and a bit of EQ only.  I've got, but not tried using amp sims for the bass.
The mix-down is then captured, and I master separately again using Cubase.
Once again, thanks for the feedback.  Very useful indeed
 :)
I assume you are using the Hi-Z input for direct connection of electric bass with your Zoom DAW, if so you should get a decent recorded sound.  Make sure you record it flat. Then import into Cubase and apply Low cut at 60 Hz with the standard Cubase EQ - you'll find this setting In the pre-sets.  You can tweak it from there, but you shouldn't have to by very much, if at all. Yeah.... finally compression, use a standard setting and just a little to smooth it out a bit. My standard Bass Pre-sets are set at 1.36 Ratio, Fast Release, Medium Attack, then adjust the threshold until you just see it start to kick-in, don't over do it otherwise it will sound over processed..
I'll be interested how you get on
**EDIT
I use a Line 6 Bass Pod XT
http://line6.com/legacy/basspodxt
I got one on eBay in mint condition for about £60.00 - I plug it into my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio interface into the standard input - I love Line 6 pods, also have one for my electric guitars to. Much better quality than any AMP simulator I've used.
#7June 1st, 2013 · 11:32 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: re: Letter to a friend
swordfish wrote…
Jiminuk wrote…

Wow Jim...

Well Done...

Seems like u and denis use ezee drummer ... i havent got that ...is it free??? haha  ;)
EzDrummer is not cheap, hence many download it free illegitimately via torrents. In the UK they are severely cramping down on torrent websites, with the assistance of SKY, Virgin Media Etc.
#8June 6th, 2013 · 05:47 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Really nice, you make such simply beautiful songs.
Bet your friend has a smile from ear to ear ! 
#9June 7th, 2013 · 05:34 PM
7 threads / 6 songs
20 posts
United States of America
Very well recorded.  This song reminds me of Kansas, and not in a bad way.
Harmonies are very spot on and effective.  Lyrics are very honest and personal, like you're not trying to be someone else.
#10June 17th, 2013 · 06:53 AM
92 threads / 12 songs
906 posts
United States of America
great song, well-performed, well-recorded.

By the way, Happy Birthday, Jiminuk and many happy returns!!!
#11June 17th, 2013 · 07:16 AM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Yes indeedy ... a very happy birthday Jim

#12June 17th, 2013 · 10:44 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
Totally loving the vocals!  It's extremely clean What mic are you using for the vocals?
#13June 18th, 2013 · 07:58 AM
55 threads / 30 songs
1,558 posts
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes - and for the song reviews!
@UndercoverApple - glad you like the vocals. The mic I'm using is an Audio-Technica AT2020; it's a low cost condenser mic.  I'm pretty pleased with it, I've got to say!

#14June 20th, 2013 · 05:37 PM
90 threads / 73 songs
263 posts
United Kingdom
It's really nice, a great recording! Just wish they were real drums!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 4:49 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.