#1May 10th, 2013 · 03:48 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Rowboat

This song is not in a battle

This is my recent work, meaning today. I've used a Douglass hollow body with round wound, a bass guitar and a drum kit.

For some reason on my laptop the bass is non-existent but through speakers it sounds very big. I've played with changing the EQ, but if I change the bass too much it sounds crappy.  I'm open to some suggestions about how to fix this.

Does this song not follow the Rules? Please Report Abuse
#2May 11th, 2013 · 12:06 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
The guitar sounds sweet - Would be nice to add some guitar lines in the intro, spaces and outro.
I sense if you add some reverb to the vox it will create a nice atmosphere.
The Bass sounds OK on my system, but it would be nice to make sound a bit fatter - How are you recording the Bass? To make the bass heard on most speaker systems you would need to raise the upper mid frequencies, it's a question of experimenting.  I always say you need to try and get the EQ sounding best at source, thus only making fine adjustments when mastering, otherwise you will end up with a different sound all together, which can only be used as an effect more or less.
The overheads are a bit low in the mix, would have loved to heard the symbols louder.  You could also try adding reverb to both overheads and rim shot.
#3May 11th, 2013 · 05:31 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried putting an accordion as a solo but thought it detracted. Maybe I should try again and play with the mics or eq.

My little bass amp buzzes so I went direct. Maybe I can play with raising the volume on the amp and backing the mic off. Fine suggestions on the overheads to.

More to play with. Whee!
#4May 12th, 2013 · 07:16 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Soni wrote…
Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried putting an accordion as a solo but thought it detracted. Maybe I should try again and play with the mics or eq.

My little bass amp buzzes so I went direct. Maybe I can play with raising the volume on the amp and backing the mic off. Fine suggestions on the overheads to.

More to play with. Whee!
I assume by going direct to record your Bass you have an High Z (gain) or instrument input on your Audio Interface.  This will effect the tone dramatically.
For overheads you ideally need a stereo pair of Pencil Condenser mics, if you are considering buying some you will be able to record your acoustic guitar with them too.  I mentioned I have a pair of Rode NT-5 pencil condenser mics, they are not cheap, but I got a good deal used pair on Ebay. There are cheaper ones out there that will still give a good result. Having said this you will need either a Multi Channel mixer or Audio interface depending how many mics you have on the drums. You can get away with three mics, one on the bass drum.
 and two overheads.
Out of interest I use a Line 6 Pod for Bass and Guitar, one for Bass and one for Guitar, they give a great sound for the money, you have different modules and pre-sets to get the sound you want. Again you can pick these up on Ebay for a good price as I did. alternatively you can either purchase Guitar/Bass Software, like guitar rig, or you may find that you have free stuff on your DAW.
**EDIT**
Here are some tips on recording drums at home
http://www.kimcheerecords.com/articles/drums/
#5May 13th, 2013 · 08:07 AM
23 threads / 14 songs
515 posts
Japan
Like the sound of this song ,  gentle atmosphere with a little push , guitar sweet & the vocal is great , sits right in there . Really enjoyed listening
Thanks for posting Soni
yi

#6May 13th, 2013 · 04:21 PM
12 threads / 9 songs
142 posts
United States of America
Thank you Yakoinc.

Hey, Denis. Thanks for the suggestions. I am ALWAYS open to learning more, so I tell you the below information as a way to describe what I have, and hope it doesn't sound defensive.

I am using a pair of Aktava over the drums, a mic on the kick, one on the snare, one on each of two toms.
I use a Mackie Onyx board with firewire, that I love for the low noise.

It has really changed the way I make music and as a result my learning curve has been bumped dramatically.
I am achieving things that I never tried before, and this is why things such as amp buzz become difficult for me to overcome.
This mixing board was the single best purchase I've made for music. Ever.

Given that I just had to pay $250 US for amp repair on my guitar amp, it will be while before I can get another input tool-source for my bass. But I will try anything that isn't going to cost me too much more right now.
#7May 22nd, 2013 · 04:19 PM
29 threads / 23 songs
197 posts
United States of America
I'd love to hear accordion in this Add it soon!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: March 28th, 2024 · 4:53 AM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.